Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 14, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #10,396 of 18,907
It is well known that newly grown neurons need to be run in for at least 10 minutes. But unless you individually ferrite every single synapse in your cranium the effects of interstellar EMI will simply overwhelm your auditory cortex. But you can offset this by installing a heart-pacemaker, it only takes a couple of cuts and a bit of sewing, though it will invalidate your warranty. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Lol, if you overclock the neurons, you're good to go after 3 and one half minutes, but only if you are wearing a ferrite necklace. Who needs bling if you are wearing a ferrite necklace.

Now here comes the serious part, thats how princess diana was killed, her driver couldn't lift his head up to see where he was going, as he just left a fancy dress party and was dressed up as Mr T look alike.

It's amazing what a box of ferrites and a tin of gold spray paint can do.

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #10,397 of 18,907
TT2 and heat question. I have both TT and TT2. Both are on 24/7. Both play approximately the same hours per day, maybe the TT a bit more. The TT is always dead cool while the TT2 is always warm but not uncomfortable. They both feed either iem or phones. Any ideas why?

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #10,398 of 18,907
Lol, if you overclock the neurons, you're good to go after 3 and one half minutes, but only if you are wearing a ferrite necklace. Who needs bling if you are wearing a ferrite necklace.

Now here comes the serious part, thats how princess diana was killed, her driver couldn't lift his head up to see where he was going, as he just left a fancy dress party and was dressed up as Mr T look alike.

It's amazing what a box of ferrites and a tin of gold spray paint can do.
Ah, overclocking. Those were the days.

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #10,399 of 18,907
TT is cooler!

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #10,400 of 18,907
TT2 and heat question. I have both TT and TT2. Both are on 24/7. Both play approximately the same hours per day, maybe the TT a bit more. The TT is always dead cool while the TT2 is always warm but not uncomfortable. They both feed either iem or phones. Any ideas why?

I think in TT 2's case, the headphone out ports are basically right next to the super caps, and in my case, thats *Always the hottest part of TT 2*, and when I say *hottest* I mean 42oC hot.

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #10,401 of 18,907
I think in TT 2's case, the headphone out ports are basically right next to the super caps, and in my case, thats *Always the hottest part of TT 2*, and when I say *hottest* I mean 42oC hot.
I would agree that is the warmest spot. That would explain it. It will be a good hand warmer when -35C arrives in a couple months.

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #10,402 of 18,907
(EDIT: I think I was slightly off with the post below. I think the TT2 does run a little less warm with a power amp compared to an integrated amp. Due to the TT2 output being set lower of course.)

Talking of temperature. I have had my TT2 hooked up to a power amp recently. I noticed it seems to get just as warm running with power-amp, as with an integrated-amp. I would have though it would run cooler at approx. -60dB to -50dB with the power-amp. Compared to running at -5V in amp mode, with an integrated. Maybe I should try with integrated in DAC mode and see about that. It would be the same voltage out though.

Might be not right though. Maybe it does run just a bit hotter with integrated and I am not remembering right.

I have slightly rethought this. I do think TT2 runs slightly less warm with a power amp. Compared with an integrated amp.

I think something threw me off, and made me make this slightly mistaken post I quoted above. That was that I expected the TT2 to run a lot cooler with a power amp.

With a power-amp, I run the TT2 output between -60dB and -40dB. Whereas with an integrated I either use DAC mode which is -5dB. Or I use amp mode and use TT2 between -10dB to -5dB. (-5dB being 2.5V and -7dB being 2V. I like less than -7dB sometimes so I can soften the integrated amp gain on remote control steps.)

Anyway finding the TT2 running at similar temperatures with power-amp vs integrated-amp. I did not see that coming at all. In a way though it makes some sense. I guess most of the power output from the TT2 is in balanced mode, especially with speakers. Or most of the power output in SE output is probably above the 2.5V -5dB setting.

Plus I am probably far too worried about TT2 running temps. I noticed other folk don't mind it all.

With TT2 in DAC mode and room temps of 25'C, TT2 can get quite warm. However I noticed recently with a power-amp, I was pretty much OK with temps 27'C. (This was one specific occasion. It does vary.) I think there is also variance caused by music sampling rates, MP£ vs redbook etc. I had been doing some Youtube and gaming. …. With TT2 in DAC mode/integrated amp, TT2 would have been quite warm/hot.

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #10,403 of 18,907
Hello guys, I've been reading part of the thread, but doesn't quite find my answer.

I'm a 2 day owner of a TT2, and my question is if it's better to be on 24/7 or not.

Other question is, do you always standby TT2 or always really on.

3rd question is if I put on standby, there's a difference between it and unpluing from wall ? Some devices like a PS Audio DirectStream I used to have, on standby keep some components on.

I have all these question because my set is a little far from the grounded outlet and the AC cable passes through the room. So I unplug and plug always I finish and start listening.
But if it's not good for TT2 I'll figure out how to keep it always on.

Thank you all.

Joao

Sep 19, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #10,404 of 18,907
Hello guys, I've been reading part of the thread, but doesn't quite find my answer.

I'm a 2 day owner of a TT2, and my question is if it's better to be on 24/7 or not.

Other question is, do you always standby TT2 or always really on.

3rd question is if I put on standby, there's a difference between it and unpluing from wall ? Some devices like a PS Audio DirectStream I used to have, on standby keep some components on.

I have all these question because my set is a little far from the grounded outlet and the AC cable passes through the room. So I unplug and plug always I finish and start listening.
But if it's not good for TT2 I'll figure out how to keep it always on.

Thank you all.

Joao

I always leave mine on standby when not listening.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #10,405 of 18,907
After a spell in hospital and everyday seeming like an expedition to Everest it's feels good to be on the mend and skimming the pages of headfi again. I still haven't decided whether to swap my chord stack for a dave. The main difference being that i could add an mscaler and new headphone to the dave next year. So the question is do i want to live without the mscaler for a year. I bought a mojo to use on a short trip away and it's amazing the price to performance factor but after careful comparison with the chord stack it started to sound quite thin and 2D which i suppose is expected for a difference in price of £7K. Beyers new 3rd gen T1 looks very interesting too.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #10,406 of 18,907
After a spell in hospital and everyday seeming like an expedition to Everest it's feels good to be on the mend and skimming the pages of headfi again. I still haven't decided whether to swap my chord stack for a dave. The main difference being that i could add an mscaler and new headphone to the dave next year. So the question is do i want to live without the mscaler for a year. I bought a mojo to use on a short trip away and it's amazing the price to performance factor but after careful comparison with the chord stack it started to sound quite thin and 2D which i suppose is expected for a difference in price of £7K. Beyers new 3rd gen T1 looks very interesting too.

Thanks for the update. I would wait till an updated DAVE with a built in mscaler comes to market. Until then you have a Hugo and an mscaler, right? Once you have tasted the mscaler magic, how can you possibly live without it?

The best of health to you.

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #10,407 of 18,907

Covid ?

Glad to hear that you are on the mend and out of hospital.

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #10,408 of 18,907
Welcome back, all the best for your recovery, you didn’t miss much while you were away.

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #10,409 of 18,907
Guys the dac Chord Hugo tt2 buzzes, and shows me DC L. The problem occurred as soon as I unplugged my headphones. Do you have any idea?
Screenshot_20200924-130449_BSPlayer.jpg
Screenshot_20200924-150831_Facebook.jpg

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #10,410 of 18,907
Deleted...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back