Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 29, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #9,707 of 18,907
Yes sorry that the Chord website is a bit misleading, implying its BNC only, but for sure Hugo 2 works with the full 768kHz dual data mode, you just need to use 3.5mm to RCA cable, plus RCA to BNC adaptors. Or simply make up your own BNC to 3.5mm cables. I have clocked up 50 hours on flights with Hugo 2, and I can't be without the M scaler now...
Rob,
To send a signal via the dual coax to the input of hugo2 is the best solution? (provided it is pre-clocked, as Mscaler does).
And do I understand you correctly that in this case we are not talking about DSD256 or DSD512, but about the sound that we listen to? :)
Have a nice day, thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #9,708 of 18,907
@alexI993 In my experience the TT2 can be a little bit temperamental with the USB handshake which can sometimes cause the static you describe. This usually happens when a new device is plugged in for the first time. If it happens, just pause the track and restart playback. To mitigate this a bombroof solution is using a chromecast audio as a roon endpoint via optical. I think the use of a generic computer as a source is not a great idea. There are plenty of inexpensive solutions that are optimised for audio. The chance that the problems are caused by a particular USB cable are zero in my opinion. I have not heard AQ diamond but based on reviews it is top notch.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #9,710 of 18,907
@alexI993 In my experience the TT2 can be a little bit temperamental with the USB handshake which can sometimes cause the static you describe. This usually happens when a new device is plugged in for the first time. If it happens, just pause the track and restart playback. To mitigate this a bombroof solution is using a chromecast audio as a roon endpoint via optical. I think the use of a generic computer as a source is not a great idea. There are plenty of inexpensive solutions that are optimised for audio. The chance that the problems are caused by a particular USB cable are zero in my opinion. I have not heard AQ diamond but based on reviews it is top notch.
Raspberry pi4

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #9,711 of 18,907
OK, I think I found the 'issue' ...indeed it looks like there was a 'handshake' problem. I went back into the mac Mini settings and it was missing the TT2 from the list of Audio Output devices and had defaulted to an older device I used to have (Devialet). It's as if it thought the TT2 was the Devialet. When I restarted everything it found the TT2 again. Don't know why it got switched? I run the Mac Mini headless so I have to install a monitor every time I need to check something or change a setting. I think it's time to get rid of the mac and get a proper streamer!??

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #9,713 of 18,907
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #9,714 of 18,907
Anyone use some Raspberry pi thing as a roon point for their tt2?
Which do I get, I wanna see what the difference is and how does it connect to the tt2.
What is the best pi and components for hifi

I'm officially on a multi-year hiatus so please forgive if I don't respond to anyone here. I only do drive-by posts if something of interest. I'm only focused on working on my guide on this site so I login from time to time till guide finished then I'm Audi5k.

I'm posting because I admire you are not a sheep and carving your own path going battery power for your HMS. Even if it's just temporary. There's a lot of peer pressure to push one into brand name audiophile gear which are just half measures. They are not real clean solutions, only bandage solutions. Brand name bandage audiophile gear are like Prada bags around here.

My take on the most optimal digital source for Chord gear is LiFePO₄ batteries, I²S and glass optical. I also subscribe to the path of least resistance. I don't believe there is a 1:1 correlation between what you pay for a Chord DAC and a streamer. Paying for a Chord DAC is enough, you shouldn't have to double your budget for a streamer that becomes irrelevant in a year. I'm portable / transportable only so this philosoply has produced the best timbre and PrAT I have heard on my Hugo₂. With zero noise too. None of that low noise or subjectively "Well, I don't hear any noise". It's 0 noise. None of that I have to filter USB 100x-1000x times on my gear to clean the USB signal. I want pure SQ, not filtered signals.

Even though I'm all for battery power, I have moved on and only focused on LiFePO₄ battery solutions. I want direct pure battery power. I don't want LDOs and regulators in the way. With battery packs, you have to deal with down conversion internally then the regulator then to RPi regulator. Which is fine from a no noise perspective. For performance, direct battery power. I was fortunate to find a LiFePO₄ solution to directly power the rails for the RPI.

4life.png

So that's it, simple. LiFePO₄ battery power direct to rails. LiFePO₄ batteries have super low impedance and dynamic power like a car battery (LiFePO₄ powers Teslas). Battery packs don't have that attribute. It helps for dynamic complex music because all the dynamic swings. I'm loving it so far. PCM data from CPU travels along the I²S to the WM8804 optical converter then via Lifatec glass optical to the Chord DAC. Cannot get any shorter least resistance that this is 2020. No need for long cables which can pick up noise, it's mostly internal except for the RFI-free glass optical cable.

bottomview.png

I also think I figured out what separates high-end streamers from regular streamers, so I'm going to work on the Digital Streamer 2.0 project over the summer. For now the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro should serve you well. It's a low-cost entry point and great learning experience. If all goes well with digital streamer 2.0 that should be competitive with the high-end streamers, I'll post in the Fall / Autumn. I'm pretty sure I know the high-end streamer secret sauce, but I have to experiment before I mention any products.

bottomview.png

I'm wrapping up on a guide for this Digital Streamer 1.0 so will try to post this weekend, so one can get a better idea of the process. The HiFiBerry is a good learning experience that you can apply to future streamers. Really hoping I can hit a Grand Slam with the Digital Steamer 2.0.

mojoplay.png

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #9,716 of 18,907
Anyone use some Raspberry pi thing as a roon point for their tt2?
Which do I get, I wanna see what the difference is and how does it connect to the tt2.
What is the best pi and components for hifi
I think you are using HQPlayer so here is a suggestion for a pi endpoint. Get a PI4. Don’t worry about memory. Download the naa for it from Signalyst. Flash it, insert, connect usb cable from TT2 package, connect ethernet cable (not wifi) and power up the tt. Once tt is booted, boot the pi. Open your hqplayer app and set output to the naa. Done.

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #9,717 of 18,907
Referring again to a couple of posts I made recently. Someone was a bit in doubt about their new TT2. I said listen as much as possible, as it takes time getting used to the TT2.

The reason I brought this up today, was I noticed again the HiFi World review of the TT2. They said in the negatives, that it lacks warmth. In the body of text of the review they said at one point on first impressions , quote. "In basic character think crystal clear and vividly insightful, with no hint of warmth".

What I am saying is that is a ridiculous remark to make, and misleading to potential buyers. The point being that it takes time for some people to get used to the TT2. I found it so coming from the Hugo 2. In many ways my first impressions mirrored the HiFi World review, on impression like:
  • With this superb recording, images were hewn from stone with clear space between them
  • resolves both CD and hi-res digital with breathtaking clarity, giving a starkly clear and concise sound
  • sense of great dynamic contrast
However the complete image or when it becomes relaxed along with these qualities mentioned above. That took me some time. Maybe a week before I placed the warmth properly. I could hear the warmth before then, but placing it was near impossible. There was just so much else going on, in comparison over the Hugo 2. It was in fact easier to hear the TT2 with a CD I opened on the same day - a CD I did not know. It was because music that I knew was being heard in direct comparison with the Hugo 2.

I think after about a week, and sometimes before, the TT2 showed me it's natural performance. Or rather I was more relaxed to just listening to the music and not the TT2 / Hugo 2 difference. Brain burn it, to quote monsieur Watts. That brain-burn-in continued for more time too. Even so, before brain-burn-in, the TT2 was astonishing, as HiFi World attested. Just it took longer to hear the whole picture and the TT2 warmth signature. I think TT2 has warmth spot on perfect, as with Hugo 2 also.

Even now, if I change from running my amplifier, and not it takes time to readjust to running speakers from TT2. Anything up to a week to hear the TT2 100% right, without a speaker amplifier. Thus I think that explains HiFi World's review.

Anyway, just saying. Thinking out loud. Yada yada.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #9,718 of 18,907
.....connect ethernet cable (not wifi)

Is WiFi hard to implement for great SQ when streaming?

I do not have an ethernet in my listening room only wifi and I’m using a MacBook running Audirvana so far. I was looking for a quality dedicated streamer (no dac or amp) that does wifi but find out most of the best ones are ethernet only? So I figured that if Innuos and even dCS won’t touch it, it’s probably not ideal for SQ.

Now, I’m thinking to put a SOtM USBultra between the MacBook and the TT2, maybe that will meaningfully improve the laptop streaming experience?

Anyone used a USB re-clocker on TT2 before? Does it helps?

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #9,719 of 18,907
Is WiFi hard to implement for great SQ when streaming?

I do not have an ethernet in my listening room only wifi and I’m using a MacBook running Audirvana so far. I was looking for a quality dedicated streamer (no dac or amp) that does wifi but find out most of the best ones are ethernet only? So I figured that if Innuos and even dCS won’t touch it, it’s probably not ideal for SQ.

Now, I’m thinking to put a SOtM USBultra between the MacBook and the TT2, maybe that will meaningfully improve the laptop streaming experience?

Anyone used a USB re-clocker on TT2 before? Does it helps?
Does audirvana run hqplayer?

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #9,720 of 18,907
Can somebody show me the diagram how I'm supposed to solder xlr to banana plugs in order to connect my speakers directly to tt2 ?

My soldering skills are ok but I just want to be sure I won't blow up anything.
Also which xlr, bana plugs and wires should I use ? I don't want to make it super expensive just reasonable choice. It suppose to be just an experiment.

Oh and I should also mention that I only care about balanced type of connection as my speakers are not so efficient. So I need that extra voltage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back