Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 16, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #9,526 of 18,905
Hi Paul, a good cheap source is a chromecast audio running as a roon endpoint, connected to Tt2 by optical. Try this first to convince yourself that sources do matter. You can get even better sound by using a Ugreen ethernet adapter and an upgraded power supply for the CCA. If you google Darko Chromecast Audio and you will see the details. A standard PC will be sending a bunch of noise down the USB cable along with the data stream.

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #9,527 of 18,905
Hi Paul, a good cheap source is a chromecast audio running as a roon endpoint, connected to Tt2 by optical. Try this first to convince yourself that sources do matter. You can get even better sound by using a Ugreen ethernet adapter and an upgraded power supply for the CCA. If you google Darko Chromecast Audio and you will see the details. A standard PC will be sending a bunch of noise down the USB cable along with the data stream.

Really good suggestion. Also worth looking at is using an old iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch as an end point (streamer) a few here are doing just that and are apparently a big step up from Chromecast. Especially if you have an old phone lying around unused. This was detailed a few pages back.

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #9,528 of 18,905
I need just a more affordable option. I figured a 200$ usb if I can eventually swing it, would be OK enough to take that noise out?
I figured if using a phone... Well the phone to usb b on back of tt2 is really just another noisy *computer * of sorts

See, I don't know much about this stuff, just trying to get the best out of this thing.

Should I really move on from usb cable upgrade from laptop?

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #9,530 of 18,905
Hi,

I got my Supra usb cable today :)

I was a believer that cables barely have an effect on the sound and that expensive cables are snake oil.

This cable is definitely not expensive, And I saw people comparing it to the Sarum T usb cable (2100 GBP) - And saying that they sound the same.

I am actually very surprised it made a difference.

I can't fully put the difference into words but here are my first impressions:

Compared to the stock cable I can definitely hear a change in sound signature in a few areas:

The Supra cable is more detailed - I don't know if it's just a change in the sound signature - A.K.A - A boost in certain treble frequencies to create a focus on detail and micro details - or an actual improvement - Micro details are quite considerably more noticeable and heard better.

This is a significant difference and is noticeable in pretty much every song - The Supra cable gets inside the instruments and dissects them into small details.

With the stock cable I did get these details but they were more subtle / less noticeable - They were a part of the whole song.

With they supra cable they are the focus now - I can hear both the main parts song (voices / instruments) and the micro details together at the same volume.

With the stock cable the focus was on the main parts of the song while the micro details were in the background. They definitely existed but they weren't as forward as they are with the Supra cable.

I am really impressed with this added detail since it's such a cheap upgrade to the TT2. However I am not sure I like this change.

With the improvements in detail retrieval the Supra cable is also brighter - It is not sibilant at all but voices, instruments, effects just sound brighter and it causes them to also sound a bit thinner and polite / weak.

My thoughts are mixed since I am not totally sure what to think - For example with the songs Let it roar and Rain Man by battle beast I prefer the stock cable.

With the stock cable the bass has more impact and most importantly the voices sound strong, powerful, full of power, The voices are roaring at me (haha) - They are the main focus and are not held back at all, They sound so strong.

With the Supra cable The voices are still strong but they are no longer as forward - They are no longer first - They don't come first - They sound held back and restrained.

And with the Supra cable I really liked how Theft of the hammer - Brothers of metal sounded - it was definitely a noticeable upgrade from the stock cable.

I with there was a middle ground between the stock and the supra cable.

I will try to sum it up:

Supra cable:

Pros:
Very cheap for this much of a change:
Considerably more detail retrieval in every aspect.

Better bass detail.
Not sibilant despite of the brighter sound signature.

Cons:

Brighter sound (but it's not sibilant which is good)

Thinner sound in general + Less bass impact / Less bass focus
weird focus / too much focus on detail retrieval which takes away from the rest of the song.

Can sound a bit too intense at times - With the stock cable everything sounds easy on the ears.

Stock cable:

Pros:

Very fun and easy on the ears

The focus is on the voices and instruments
It never actually sounds particularly bad with a song. (Compared to the supra cable that can sound too intense and too thin with some songs)

Strong bass impact with good depth

Cons:

Not as detailed as the Supra cable - After listening to the Supra cable I noticed how many details are heard less. For better and worse.
There are certain songs I craved for more detail but didn't get it with the stock cable. And the supra cable gave me that extra detail I wanted.

Summary:

Overall I am happy - I learned that the simplest thing like the USB cable can not only change the sound but actually change it in a noticeable way.

I honestly thought the difference is negligible and barely noticeable but I am happy to say I was wrong :)

These are my first impressions, I will continue to test tomorrow.

Those of you who have the Supra cable and the stock cable - Can you do me a favor and listen to Let it roar and Rain man by battle beast and write your impressions?

IMG_20200616_183751.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #9,531 of 18,905
I need just a more affordable option. I figured a 200$ usb if I can eventually swing it, would be OK enough to take that noise out?
I figured if using a phone... Well the phone to usb b on back of tt2 is really just another noisy *computer * of sorts

See, I don't know much about this stuff, just trying to get the best out of this thing.

Should I really move on from usb cable upgrade from laptop?

Use optical if you can find a way and it works for your source material.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #9,532 of 18,905
make sure any usb cable is class 2 certified with the certified sticker and logo. only this ensures your data and 5v power are delivered correctly according to protocol.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #9,533 of 18,905
Sarum t takes hits From folks predisposed to not beleive expensive cables and by extension any cable can make any difference. There are always value choices for USB that sounds fine that’s true. No doubt, while second hand info like chord dacs are sibilant, gsx mk2 are sibilant or Sarum t doesn’t provide any value while not actually testing such, is a dis service. But who agrees on hi fi anyway anymore.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #9,534 of 18,905
Use optical if you can find a way and it works for your source material.

Yes I always forget optical as I have quite a few DSD 128 and DXD albums. But If all of your audio files are 192khz or less then going optical avoids a world of USB pain, and @InstantSilence could even go straight from his/her compute. Not all optical cables can do higher than.96khz but there are some cheap optical options in these discussion threads which do.

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #9,535 of 18,905
Yes I always forget optical as I have quite a few DSD 128 and DXD albums. But If all of your audio files are 192khz or less then going optical avoids a world of USB pain, and @InstantSilence could even go straight from his/her compute. Not all optical cables can do higher than.96khz but there are some cheap optical options in these discussion threads which do.
But my laptop doesn't have an optical out

Jun 17, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #9,536 of 18,905
Hi,

I got my Supra usb cable today :)

I was a believer that cables barely have an effect on the sound and that expensive cables are snake oil.

This cable is definitely not expensive, And I saw people comparing it to the Sarum T usb cable (2100 GBP) - And saying that they sound the same.

I am actually very surprised it made a difference.

I can't fully put the difference into words but here are my first impressions:

Compared to the stock cable I can definitely hear a change in sound signature in a few areas:

The Supra cable is more detailed - I don't know if it's just a change in the sound signature - A.K.A - A boost in certain treble frequencies to create a focus on detail and micro details - or an actual improvement - Micro details are quite considerably more noticeable and heard better.

This is a significant difference and is noticeable in pretty much every song - The Supra cable gets inside the instruments and dissects them into small details.

With the stock cable I did get these details but they were more subtle / less noticeable - They were a part of the whole song.

With they supra cable they are the focus now - I can hear both the main parts song (voices / instruments) and the micro details together at the same volume.

With the stock cable the focus was on the main parts of the song while the micro details were in the background. They definitely existed but they weren't as forward as they are with the Supra cable.

I am really impressed with this added detail since it's such a cheap upgrade to the TT2. However I am not sure I like this change.

With the improvements in detail retrieval the Supra cable is also brighter - It is not sibilant at all but voices, instruments, effects just sound brighter and it causes them to also sound a bit thinner and polite / weak.

My thoughts are mixed since I am not totally sure what to think - For example with the songs Let it roar and Rain Man by battle beast I prefer the stock cable.

With the stock cable the bass has more impact and most importantly the voices sound strong, powerful, full of power, The voices are roaring at me (haha) - They are the main focus and are not held back at all, They sound so strong.

With the Supra cable The voices are still strong but they are no longer as forward - They are no longer first - They don't come first - They sound held back and restrained.

And with the Supra cable I really liked how Theft of the hammer - Brothers of metal sounded - it was definitely a noticeable upgrade from the stock cable.

I with there was a middle ground between the stock and the supra cable.

I will try to sum it up:

Supra cable:

Pros:
Very cheap for this much of a change:
Considerably more detail retrieval in every aspect.

Better bass detail.
Not sibilant despite of the brighter sound signature.

Cons:

Brighter sound (but it's not sibilant which is good)

Thinner sound in general + Less bass impact / Less bass focus
weird focus / too much focus on detail retrieval which takes away from the rest of the song.

Can sound a bit too intense at times - With the stock cable everything sounds easy on the ears.

Stock cable:

Pros:

Very fun and easy on the ears

The focus is on the voices and instruments
It never actually sounds particularly bad with a song. (Compared to the supra cable that can sound too intense and too thin with some songs)

Strong bass impact with good depth

Cons:

Not as detailed as the Supra cable - After listening to the Supra cable I noticed how many details are heard less. For better and worse.
There are certain songs I craved for more detail but didn't get it with the stock cable. And the supra cable gave me that extra detail I wanted.

Summary:

Overall I am happy - I learned that the simplest thing like the USB cable can not only change the sound but actually change it in a noticeable way.

I honestly thought the difference is negligible and barely noticeable but I am happy to say I was wrong :)

These are my first impressions, I will continue to test tomorrow.

Those of you who have the Supra cable and the stock cable - Can you do me a favor and listen to Let it roar and Rain man by battle beast and write your impressions?

IMG_20200616_183751.jpg

The Supra cable is USB certified. Are any of the high end audio cables certified?

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #9,539 of 18,905
There are a ton of inexpensive USB (and HDMI) to optical converters available. If you believe bits are bits and ISB sound differences are due to interference and electrical noise, then it’s worth a try.

Why go through all of that? The TT2 is going to retime everything, anyway, which is what a good DAC should do. Going optical, aren't you limited to 96k? My advice, throw a Monoprice USB cable on it and focus on the digital source. Take the extra money you'd spend on an expensive cable and go shopping on HD Tracks, or upgrade your Tidal account so you can play master files.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #9,540 of 18,905
Why go through all of that? The TT2 is going to retime everything, anyway, which is what a good DAC should do. Going optical, aren't you limited to 96k? My advice, throw a Monoprice USB cable on it and focus on the digital source. Take the extra money you'd spend on an expensive cable and go shopping on HD Tracks, or upgrade your Tidal account so you can play master files.
I think tt2 optical supports 192

Users who are viewing this thread

Back