Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 10, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #9,437 of 18,905
I got Tidal hifi, but otherwise idk what I should do to set it up?

When you connect the TT2 to windows for the first time it will work just fine.

However to get 100% from it you need to install the driver from Chord's website. After you install the driver the name will change to Digital Output (Chord Async USB 44.1kHz-768kHZ).

Then you need to make sure that the TT2 is running in exclusive mode.

Apparently windows tempers with every audio signal that plays through the PC and it lowers the quality of the music.

Exclusive mode enables you to completely bypass windows so the only thing that the TT2 gets is the music from Tidal.

In my case: When I first got my TT2 it sounded EXACTLY the same as my av receiver and as my Schiit Modi 3. No improvement whatsoever.

I was extremely disappointed and angry and I started to look for the problem.

I was using Spotify since every time I compared Tidal to Spotify I didn't hear a quality difference so I stayed with Spotify for the better user experience.

I stumbled across WASAPI / ASIO / Exclusive mode without knowing what it is, I saw that it is only available on Tidal / Qobuz.

So I registered to the trial on Tidal and again - When I compared Tidal and Spotify I didn't hear a difference.

Then I decided to enable the Exclusive mode I read about and for my surprise and happiness it made a difference and it caused the TT2 to sound better than my AV Receiver and my Schiit Modi 3.

In fact it made all of them sound better since it took of the processing that windows was causing.

In one sentence: It made everything sound 3D - out of my speakers and my headphones, and it improved that bass extension and bass impact.

It also sounded better than Spotify.

So for me enabling the Exclusive mode is a must!

The exclusive mode causes Tidal to "take over" the device:

It means that you will not be able to change the volume from windows and windows will have no effect on the TT2 / device in exclusive mode.

If you try to play something while Tidal is playing - Like a youtube video: it won't work and you will get an error message.

By default the exclusive mode is disabled so you need to enable it manually.

You can enable it on every device you have on the PC.

Here is how you enable it:

https://i.gyazo.com/d8f0dad2cd595f165533700a093df5c2.mp4

If you get an error message that it can't be done you need to enable the option to run the device in exclusive mode:

https://i.gyazo.com/6ec73cc2e368e367096167f76617cd79.mp4

For the cable you can get a Supra usb cable.

Someone recommended it here and said that it sounded identical to the Sarum T cable which costs 2100 GBP.

I have one that should be arriving in two weeks and hopefully it does improve the quality over the stock cable.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #9,438 of 18,905
When you connect the TT2 to windows for the first time it will work just fine.

However to get 100% from it you need to install the driver from Chord's website. After you install the driver the name will change to Digital Output (Chord Async USB 44.1kHz-768kHZ).

Then you need to make sure that the TT2 is running in exclusive mode.

Apparently windows tempers with every audio signal that plays through the PC and it lowers the quality of the music.

Exclusive mode enables you to completely bypass windows so the only thing that the TT2 gets is the music from Tidal.

In my case: When I first got my TT2 it sounded EXACTLY the same as my av receiver and as my Schiit Modi 3. No improvement whatsoever.

I was extremely disappointed and angry and I started to look for the problem.

I was using Spotify since every time I compared Tidal to Spotify I didn't hear a quality difference so I stayed with Spotify for the better user experience.

I stumbled across WASAPI / ASIO / Exclusive mode without knowing what it is, I saw that it is only available on Tidal / Qobuz.

So I registered to the trial on Tidal and again - When I compared Tidal and Spotify I didn't hear a difference.

Then I decided to enable the Exclusive mode I read about and for my surprise and happiness it made a difference and it caused the TT2 to sound better than my AV Receiver and my Schiit Modi 3.

In fact it made all of them sound better since it took of the processing that windows was causing.

In one sentence: It made everything sound 3D - out of my speakers and my headphones, and it improved that bass extension and bass impact.

It also sounded better than Spotify.

So for me enabling the Exclusive mode is a must!

The exclusive mode causes Tidal to "take over" the device:

It means that you will not be able to change the volume from windows and windows will have no effect on the TT2 / device in exclusive mode.

If you try to play something while Tidal is playing - Like a youtube video: it won't work and you will get an error message.

By default the exclusive mode is disabled so you need to enable it manually.

You can enable it on every device you have on the PC.

Here is how you enable it:

https://i.gyazo.com/d8f0dad2cd595f165533700a093df5c2.mp4

If you get an error message that it can't be done you need to enable the option to run the device in exclusive mode:

https://i.gyazo.com/6ec73cc2e368e367096167f76617cd79.mp4

For the cable you can get a Supra usb cable.

Someone recommended it here and said that it sounded identical to the Sarum T cable which costs 2100 GBP.

I have one that should be arriving in two weeks and hopefully it does improve the quality over the stock cable.
Is your tt2 much better than the schitt stuff... Jeez I hope so. I'm coming from a h2

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #9,440 of 18,905
Is your tt2 much better than the schitt stuff... Jeez I hope so. I'm coming from a h2

I ended up writing a mini review of the TT2 haha.

It does sound better in every way.

But honestly the difference is not that huge to the point of being: OMG I CAN'T go back to anything else this TT2 is so good.

It adds small improvements in every aspect of the sound (bass, detail, separation, imaging, layering, harshness / forgiveness / sibilance).

What I mean by that is: The improvements are and at the same time aren't too apparent and so obvious.

I don't have the most high end equipment that is on the caliber of the TT2.

I have the Audeze LCD-X and my SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers with 2 subwoofers connected to my Marantz sr 6013 AV Receiver.

I will have the Abyss phi TC when I can afford them - I heard the Abyss phi TC on the TT2 and it shocked me.

The TT2 is connected to my AV Receiver and I also use the tt2 with my LCD-X with the single ended connection.

I also have the Schiit Modi 3 and the SMSL SP200 that I was using before the TT2.

The TT2 with the exclusive mods does a few things better than the Modi 3 and my AV receiver:

I will start by writing on the TT2 as a DAC - connected to the Marantz sr 6013 - SVS Ultra Bookshelfs.

First of all - The space of everything is better defined -
The voice of the singer comes out at me - outside of the speakers.
The small details and micro details are even farther away than the voices and are even more impressive and airy.
The bass is located PHYSICALLY behind the speakers and it sounds as if the entire wall that is between my speakers is this huge mountain of bass.
The bass is just better in every way - the TT2 with the exclusive mode caused my subwoofers to wake up.
The bass is deeper, It is more detailed, It is layered better and it hits harder.

In terms of detail - The TT2 makes everything sounds effortless - Everything is organized - The TT2 is the PUPPET MASTER - THE MASTERMIND - It controls everything, Everything in the songs answers to the TT2 and - NOTHING will go out of line.

It is especially apparent in fast paced aggressive songs - With my AV Receiver and the Modi 3 some aspects of the sound will fall apart - The most apparent is the bass - It get's sloppier and weaker, Then the details, separation and sibilance - Everything gets cramped into each other and it just sounds messy and shouty.

With the TT2 everything stays in line, The beautiful order and balance is kept even at higher volumes.

If you want to test it for yourself - it happens with the song: Amen & Attack by Powerwolf.
You can hear that the TT2 keeps everything in check.

I really like the sound signature of the TT2 - It is aggressive, It is forward, punchy, really detailed with very good separation - but it is not sibilant.

If I need to summarize everything it does - It sounds 3D and it sounds like it adds missing pieces to the music that didn't exist. It's like I was listening to 70% of the music but the TT2 fills the rest and now I am getting 100% of the music.

That is due to the better separation and definition of space and that effortless sound ++++ That extra deepness of the bass with the extra kick and power - The TT2 is simply better.

For me personally - the biggest advantage of the TT2 is the BASS - it's amazing - It digs extra deeper - The impact is higher - The definition is better - Everything about the bass is better.

It sounds like I am contradicting what I said at the beginning about the differences not being so obvious, However It is still true.

When I switch from the TT2 to the Modi 3 it is obvious that the modi 3 sounds worse, But it's not that apparent as to why and what is actually worse.

The easiest difference to notice is the bass - just listen to a heavy bass song on the TT2 and switch to a different device - It will be clear that the TT2 is better.

Other than the bass it might appear that everything else (detail, imaging, separation, layering) is the same, However that is not the case.

For me the TT2 in general is this:

30% better bass
15% better detail
15% better separation
15% better imaging

Not that huge of a difference but together they add up.

The simplest way to answer your question if the TT2 is better:

I have had the TT2 for 3 months.

I never use any other device than the TT2 for music.

If I don't use the TT2 I feel wrong and I know I am missing on something about the music.

I cannot not use the TT2 for music even if it's the most unimportant listening experience or the simplest recording.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #9,441 of 18,905
For unbiased proper real life reviews go to 13thnote.net - Simon runs an independent comparison review site, and is not in anyones pocket. He is highly knowledeable, and very passionate about bringing some honesty to the HiFi industry, particularily the review sector which steers a lot of peoples buying decisions. Check it out - 13thnote.net
Is it just my imagination but his website and videos sure seem like they’re ‘inspired by’ Darko?

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #9,444 of 18,905
How does one get the best sound to tt2 via laptop?

Depends on your music. If you want to do high res. higher than 192k, USB is the way to go and most use that.

If your music is always under that, optical may sound slightly better.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #9,445 of 18,905
How does one get the best sound to tt2 via laptop?
I’ve been struggling with this myself. I connect my dedicated Mac mini direct to the TT2 with an Audioquest Diamond usb and think it sounds good but manynfeel that usb in general is not ideal due to jitter and noise. I plan on experimenting with network based streamers.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #9,446 of 18,905
OK no tomato throwing, please?
I wonder when a TT3 is expected to arrive, if ever?
Rob has said that no Dave update is imminent as there is not much scope for improvement. Although I would assume if there was a Dave update it might use the supercapacitor Power supply found in the TT2 and a few more taps. So a TT3 is probably an even longer way off.
Personally I would love a WTA2 only device to hang off the end of the MScaler, or is that what the Chord digital amps will be?
Sorry, I’m just dreaming on a Friday afternoon. Nothing to see here, move on.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #9,448 of 18,905
Wta2? What is that for noobs like me?

There are two main stages in the Chord DACs the first stage WTA1 upscale to 704/768khz, which takes up more processing power, then a second stage WTA2 which upscales into the megahertz range before converting to analog. Normally the Chord DACs do both, but when you get a Hugo MScaler it does the WTA1 stage then passes it to the DAC to do the WTA2 stage only. So with an M Scaler you could conceiveably have a simple WTA2 device with analog outs or alternatively an amplifier which also does the WTA2 step.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #9,449 of 18,905
Additionally... Anyone know if a decent yet affordable usb a to usb b cable?

Affordable but still very good is the Oyaide d+ USB class A and the Supra USB2.
I have both but prefer the Oyaide which is the cheapest ‘audio’ USB cable you can buy, but sounds great.

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #9,450 of 18,905
Rob has said that no Dave update is imminent as there is not much scope for improvement. Although I would assume if there was a Dave update it might use the supercapacitor

There is plenty of obvious scope for improvement. For example, why would people be tacking an Mscaler onto the Dave it if was perfect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back