Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #8,461 of 18,991
That's unfortunate: so it will receive 5.1 channel from the toslink and use only 2.0 of them? (don't know, just trying to guess here)
Are you sure your tv doesn’t have the option of what kind of audio to output - stereo or 5.1?

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #8,463 of 18,991
That's unfortunate: so it will receive 5.1 channel from the toslink and use only 2.0 of them? (don't know, just trying to guess here)

No, it cannot process a 5.1 signal at all but your TV might be able to switch over to a 2 channel signal. My Samsung TV can have the digital audio output selected in the menu.

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #8,464 of 18,991
Belles power amp is good but it has only se input and input sensitivity is low ( if i am right it is 1v ) so tt2's 1v will give full power of belles which obviously will not be used all the time. So in most of the cases tt2 would be operating much below 1v. Instead use an amp with low gain or variable gain. Ahb2 fits the bill perfectly for that. Low gain of ahb2 is only 3x so tt2's 3v becomes 9v which is around 10w in 8ohms and Tt2's 5v becomes around 28w which is more than sufficient for everyday use. And if you require more output you can use tt2 XLR in high gain or ahb2 in high gain to get full 100w RMS.
The TT2 is supposed to sound superior using RCA outputs is it not? The Belles amp has a single XLR output also, and can be used as a monoblock with that output, but obviously I would need another one. The amp my dealer has is brand new, but is about 5-6 years old now, he had it sitting at his store for that long, it just never sold. Because of its age, I can get it for 2K Canadian, which is half the price (in Canadian) of the Benchmark amp. I know a few people with. Belles amps, and they all love them. LilKe I said, I demo’d it, and I had no problem at low or high volume, and I see no reason that I need variable sensitivity.I find that on most forums, most people always promote the gear (amp) that they use, so with respect, I will trust my own ears, and every review I have read, and buy the 150 Av2,

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #8,465 of 18,991
The TT2 is supposed to sound superior using RCA outputs is it not? The Belles amp has a single XLR output also, and can be used as a monoblock with that output, but obviously I would need another one. The amp my dealer has is brand new, but is about 5-6 years old now, he had it sitting at his store for that long, it just never sold. Because of its age, I can get it for 2K Canadian, which is half the price (in Canadian) of the Benchmark amp. I know a few people with. Belles amps, and they all love them. LilKe I said, I demo’d it, and I had no problem at low or high volume, and I see no reason that I need variable sensitivity.I find that on most forums, most people always promote the gear (amp) that they use, so with respect, I will trust my own ears, and every review I have read, and buy the 150 Av2,
Tt2 has identical positive and negative out in XLR . Negative is not generated from positive by using electronics, instead it is generated by reversing the polarity of digital data. So there is no loss of transparency. Theoretically with an amp having XLR input and Tt2's XLR output you get the advantage of balance signals ie cancelling of noise. Since XLR has double the output of rca, XLR is very effective even in low gain mode and yes low gain mode has slightly better distortion figures as measured elsewhere by some magazine.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #8,467 of 18,991
@GreenBow i also left my Dave on since I got it new in 2016 and so did my dealer whose demo Dave has been left on since then. The Blu2 has also been left on since 2018. No problems.
That said obviously things can break whether you leave it on or off. But I don’t think it’s a significant risk. I believe Rob watts said so in the past but I can’t find the post.

I am considering that maybe I am worrying unnecessarily. Some people faithfully believe in leaving their entire system powered on, all the time.

Consequently were I not to worry about using the TT2 for everything, and leaving my Qutest out. I would also deal with another issue I have. Using only the TT2 and no amplifier, will most likely have a smaller carbon footprint. ...... Whereas if I use the Qutest for more menial work, and need an amplifier with it, it will use more power. It won't be a lot more power but still, it all adds up. Rob's DACs are notorious for using little power, although the TT2 has some sort of amplification. I doubt it uses the same power as a Qutest and an integrated amplifier though. I don't know why, but amplifiers have a minimum power usage that is sometimes higher than I would think normal.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #8,468 of 18,991
I am considering that maybe I am worrying unnecessarily. Some people faithfully believe in leaving their entire system powered on, all the time.

Consequently were I not to worry about using the TT2 for everything, and leaving my Qutest out. I would also deal with another issue I have. Using only the TT2 and no amplifier, will most likely have a smaller carbon footprint. ...... Whereas if I use the Qutest for more menial work, and need an amplifier with it, it will use more power. It won't be a lot more power but still, it all adds up. Rob's DACs are notorious for using little power, although the TT2 has some sort of amplification. I doubt it uses the same power as a Qutest and an integrated amplifier though. I don't know why, but amplifiers have a minimum power usage that is sometimes higher than I would think normal.

Right from quite a way back I could never quite get my head around why you wouldn't just use the TT2 for everything and sell the Qutest. I use my Dave for everything, TV, movies and of course 2 channel music.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #8,469 of 18,991
Right from quite a way back I could never quite get my head around why you wouldn't just use the TT2 for everything and sell the Qutest. I use my Dave for everything, TV, movies and of course 2 channel music.

I actually bought the Qutest after I bought the TT2. .... I bought Qutest for a few reasons, including as back up, and for sometimes using in another system.

• back-up as in for example if my TT2 went for repair, or died altogether
  • as said I prefer using Qutest for menial tasks. It bugs me if I accidentally leave my TT2 on all day. Like if I only used for an hour for something menial like non-music YouTube. Qutest is way more than adequate for that. There are days when I don't listen to music, so no need to power up TT2, and risk accidentally leaving it on.
  • for use with a TV if I ever get one. TV and Qutest would be away from where my TT2 is, so I would need a second mains powered DAC. (Personally I doubt I would ever get a TV. I don't think watching TV is even worth the price of the TV. There isn't enough content across all of the networks for me to warrant buying a TV. Thus not worth the cost of British TV Licence which is money for only one of the networks. Without paying the British TV Licence we are prohibited legal access to all other networks.. I do however see that some would see value in TV. I just would never watch enough TV to make even buying a TV viable.)
  • while not the last reason, an important reason is the following. Just say e.g. Rob Watts stopped making DACs, and Chord Electronics also decided to shut up shop. I imagine under those circumstances Chord DACs might suddenly go up in price, and possibly disappear from sale quickly. I am ready, and sorted.
I need not go on, and some reasons why I bought it I don't want to say. However I bought the Qutest because it felt like the right thing to do, given what I was thinking back then.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #8,470 of 18,991
I actually bought the Qutest after I bought the TT2. .... I bought Qutest for a few reasons, including as back up, and for sometimes using in another system.

• as said I prefer using Qutest for menial tasks. It bugs me if I accidentally leave my TT2 on all day. Like if I only used for an hour for something menial like non-music YouTube. Qutest is way more than adequate for that. There are days when I don't listen to music, so no need to power up TT2, and risk accidentally leaving it on.
  • for use with a TV if I ever get one. TV and Qutest would be away from where my TT2 is, so I would need a second mains powered DAC. (personally I doubt I would ever get a TV. I don't think watching TV is even worth the price of the TV, never mind the unfair British TV Licence. I do however see that some would see value in TV. I just would never watch enough TV to make buying a TV even viable.)
  • while not the last reason, an important reason is the following. Just say e.g. Rob Watts stopped making DACs, and Chord Electronics also decided to shut up shop. I imagine under those circumstances Chord DACs might suddenly go up in price, and possibly disappear from sale quickly. I am ready, and sorted.
I need not go on, and some reasons why I bought it I don't want to say. However I bought the Qutest because it felt like the right thing to do, given what I was thinking back then.

Don't worry. None of our hifi purchases ever stand up to scrutiny. All you need to do is be happy and enjoy them!!

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #8,471 of 18,991

• for use with a TV if I ever get one. TV and Qutest would be away from where my TT2 is, so I would need a second mains powered DAC. (personally I doubt I would ever get a TV. I don't think watching TV is even worth the price of the TV, never mind the unfair British TV Licence. I do however see that some would see value in TV. I just would never watch enough TV to make buying a TV even viable.)
Don't sweat it, i have a second desk top system for when I want to get my bass head and thump on. Its tuned the way i like that style of presentation and while my hd800S system with TT is technically better, i love the other system that brings the sub woof as it were to my head, so. enjoy

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #8,472 of 18,991
Don't worry. None of our hifi purchases ever stand up to scrutiny. All you need to do is be happy and enjoy them!!

Don't sweat it, i have a second desk top system for when I want to get my bass head and thump on. Its tuned the way i like that style of presentation and while my hd800S system with TT is technically better, i love the other system that brings the sub woof as it were to my head, so. enjoy

There's one other reason I forgot. If I ever moved my TT2, which I might sometime, Qutest would have another reason to be there. I used to use my Hugo 2 at desktop. However now I would use my Qutest for driving amp and speakers, and my Hugo 2 for headphones. I would do that specifically because I got furious after forgetting to change Hugo 2 from amp driving, to headphone volume. Then subsequently blasted my ears with extremely loud music. I was using AKG N40 (at £250) at the time, so not too expensive to replace had they become damaged. I bought the more expensive N5005 since, and also tried some expensive headphones. (I still need to get some proper headphones sorted.) …. Goodness knows how, but my N40 survived that happening a few times.

My ears can't be replaced though. Hence I'd use both Qutest and Hugo 2 together in one place, if moved TT2.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #8,473 of 18,991
Have strange thing happen with my tt2. I get 60hz ground loop hum on the interconnects when using a certain amp but my other amps no problem. This amp that gets the hum from the tt2 has no hum when connected to my other dac. Now these are all plugged into the same surge protector. I have 5 items total plugged into the surge protector. What I can't figure out is why. I'm hopping it's just my electrical which I could try fixing with some ifi power products. The tt2 produce no hum on my other amps.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #8,474 of 18,991
Gain?

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #8,475 of 18,991
Off topic sorry but for anyone who loves electronic music, have a watch of this.

I don't understand how folk can listen to that type of music straight. If you ask me, in order to sound good it needs handfuls of E's and a good few lines of yayo.

It is just a noise if one is listening to it straight.

Aciiiiiiiid Aciiiiiid !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back