Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #8,446 of 18,958
It would be too loud. Plus if I was using an amplifier, I would need an integrated set up, to switch between Qutest and TT2.

No disrespect to the unit though. Apparently their HA04 (headphone amplifier) I think is the class leader at the price.
It won't be too loud as there is variable gain setting in ahb2. It has overall very low gain. It needs full 2v to give 100w RMS in 8ohms in high gain mode. Most power amp need only 1v to reach their full power. After the advent of modern high output dacs such low input sensitivity ( 1v ) is not required, specially for tt2 and other chord dacs which have very high output.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #8,447 of 18,958
Greenbow
All the amps you are considering are integrated amps, have you considered just trying a straight up power amp? I have used my TT2 directly into my Anthem power amp, and it sounds really good. The Anthem amp I have is almost 20 years old though, so I had my dealer set aside a Belles reference 150Av2 for me to grab when I have the funds. I demoed the Belles at his home with his Blu2 connected to my TT2 driving the Belles on a few different pairs of speakers. It really was an improvement on driving the same speakers directly off the TT2, much better bass, and I could crank the volume way up without the amp struggling at all. Like you, I also worry a little about shortening the life of my TT2 by overworking it. The speakers I tried with the amp were Neat ultimatum MF5’s, Harbeth P3esr’s, and some obscure speaker he had there that day, that I can’t remember the name of. The path I am following is with an amp driving Harbeth speakers, and using the Mscaler/TT2 directly driving the amp. I really did not notice any loss in transparency using the amp, but my ears are 54 years old.
Belles power amp is good but it has only se input and input sensitivity is low ( if i am right it is 1v ) so tt2's 1v will give full power of belles which obviously will not be used all the time. So in most of the cases tt2 would be operating much below 1v. Instead use an amp with low gain or variable gain. Ahb2 fits the bill perfectly for that. Low gain of ahb2 is only 3x so tt2's 3v becomes 9v which is around 10w in 8ohms and Tt2's 5v becomes around 28w which is more than sufficient for everyday use. And if you require more output you can use tt2 XLR in high gain or ahb2 in high gain to get full 100w RMS.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #8,448 of 18,958
It would be too loud. Plus if I was using an amplifier, I would need an integrated set up, to switch between Qutest and TT2.

No disrespect to the unit though. Apparently their HA04 (headphone amplifier) I think is the class leader at the price.

Why not just have everything input to the TT2? then use the qutest for another system or just sell it and put the money towards an amp?

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #8,449 of 18,958
I need an amplifier with at least two inputs. I can manage with two.

More on a Naim would be OK, in case I add anything else. Although I imagine any other device would go through a Chord DAC. Like I use a DAB radio, sometimes directly into the Brio. Mostly though either Qutest or TT2 though.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #8,450 of 18,958
Why not just have everything input to the TT2? then use the qutest for another system or just sell it and put the money towards an amp?

It's just the nerves leaving the TT2 all day sometimes. At the moment I have the Brio amplifier back in the system. It's so relieving and so easy just to switch over DACs to Qutest when I want. To be honest though, it's really nice having the TT2 doing all the work, when I have speakers on it. Everything, even YouTube, anything with sound, is just so clear.

Brio and Qutest is still way good enough though, for those more menial tasks. Gaming with Qutest is off the charts.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #8,451 of 18,958

Your biggest challenge is that getting an integrated amplifier is the equivalent to getting a preamplifier and an amplifier. And you’re going to lose transparency with each compared to TT2 direct to speakers. So my suggestion is to stick with what you have. I used to have Sanders preamplifier and amplifier which are quite expensive. And I first got rid of the preamp and directly hooked the Dave to the amp and got a significant jump in transparency. Then I replaced the Sanders amp with Chord Etude and got another jump in transparency. But if I were to listen to headphones, I still notice a difference between the Etude and straight out of Dave.
That’s why if I were you, I would save my money and not buy anything new. Your current setup is optimal for TT2 and Qutest. I think even if you’re spending 5 figures on a top of the line integrated amplifier, you’re still going to notice the loss of transparency. That said if you want to upgrade the amp for the Qutest, buy what you like.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #8,452 of 18,958
Your biggest challenge is that getting an integrated amplifier is the equivalent to getting a preamplifier and an amplifier. And you’re going to lose transparency with each compared to TT2 direct to speakers. So my suggestion is to stick with what you have. I used to have Sanders preamplifier and amplifier which are quite expensive. And I first got rid of the preamp and directly hooked the Dave to the amp and got a significant jump in transparency. Then I replaced the Sanders amp with Chord Etude and got another jump in transparency. But if I were to listen to headphones, I still notice a difference between the Etude and straight out of Dave.
That’s why if I were you, I would save my money and not buy anything new. Your current setup is optimal for TT2 and Qutest. I think even if you’re spending 5 figures on a top of the line integrated amplifier, you’re still going to notice the loss of transparency. That said if you want to upgrade the amp for the Qutest, buy what you like.

Sometimes we hear of folk that leave their TT2 on all the time. That's not what I like to do, although it may not be detrimental to the TT2.

If I am using the TT2 driving speakers, my day might go like this. ….. E.g. sometimes I might want the TT2 on at the start of the day. Then a few hours later I want the TT2 on again for watching a video, or some Youtube maybe auditioning an album. Then I might not use the TT2 again that day. However I might wake up next day with TT2 still on. It may have been on for over 24-hours, for maybe two hours use.

I really don't now what's best. Sometimes they say electronics live longer if left on. The warming- cooling-cycle is less when the unit is left on. That heating and cooling causes expansion and contraction in chips. Some that is not good. However the power supplies I don't think should be plugged in all the time. I think they for sure have shorter lifespans, leaving them plugged in. Generally it's possible that all the other resistors and components, etc, would live shorter lifetimes if left running. I really don't know. Components will have a life expectancy and tolerances etc.

One thing that concerns me about the TT2 and leaving it on, is heat on the supercaps. If they are liquid supercaps, they will have a shorter life, if left warmer. I know Rob said that the supercaps should last 22 years left on all the time. However all is not equal, and what can go wrong will go wrong. Therefore I give them the best chance possible, by letting them cool.

You're totally right that TT2 direct is the best way. I am also sure that if I use the balanced outputs, I would have enough volume for my needs. SE seems to be enough right now.

I am probably worrying about nothing, about leaving my TT2 powered-up by accident. However I would prefer to accidentally leave my Qutest on after menial tasks. You do raise the right question though, which is do I need any more. I think what I would like is a better amplifier because, I am OK using an amplifier. Both for music with TT2 and Qutest for all other. Then switching to TT2 direct sometimes, by moving speaker cables.

I don't know. Maybe I would be better ff right now, getting one metre of e.g. Atlas Mavros. Make some quality TT2-to-speaker adapters. Then listen again to my TT2 directly driving speakers. At the moment I have a bit of old single core for each side. In other words do something else to take my mind off the need for am amplifier. Make an improvement somewhere else.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #8,453 of 18,958
Sometimes we hear of folk that leave their TT2 on all the time.

Yes, it is me!! I have mine on 27/7, in truth is playing music between 6am and 10pm every day anyway so there wouldn't me much down time anyway even if it was switched off in between.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #8,454 of 18,958
Don't touch the ground pin in XLR plug at all. Connect hot pin to positive of speaker and cold to negative of speakers.
Drawing attached. Either of these will work. Presumably the interconnect has some level of shielding via the DAC's ground. However my cable guy says that the issue with using interconnects for driving speaker loads is the thinner gauge wire used limits the frequency response with higher currents. But TT2 max output is 5A/9.3Volts RMS. And i see exotic headphone cables that are thin (and unshielded). Do you have any comment?
TT2 Balanced Direct.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #8,455 of 18,958
Yes, it is me!! I have mine on 27/7, in truth is playing music between 6am and 10pm every day anyway so there wouldn't me much down time anyway even if it was switched off in between.
@GreenBow i also left my Dave on since I got it new in 2016 and so did my dealer whose demo Dave has been left on since then. The Blu2 has also been left on since 2018. No problems.
That said obviously things can break whether you leave it on or off. But I don’t think it’s a significant risk. I believe Rob watts said so in the past but I can’t find the post.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #8,456 of 18,958
Drawing attached. Either of these will work. Presumably the interconnect has some level of shielding via the DAC's ground. However my cable guy says that the issue with using interconnects for driving speaker loads is the lower gauge wire used limits the frequency response with higher currents. But TT2 max output is 5A/9.3Volts RMS. And i see exotic headphone cables that are thin (and unshielded). Do you have any comment?
Speakers have impedance typically in the range of 4 to 8ohms so thin wires won't be good as wires will add to output impedance of amp this affecting the frequency response of speakers. Headphones generally impedance much higher than 8ohms so these can have thinner wire.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #8,457 of 18,958
Hi guys,
new to the tread and soon to be owner of a (black) Hugo TT2!

Just a couple of quick questions:
- if my 3rd party TV decoder/LG TV has Toslink output, will the TT2 be able to downmix from 5.1 to 2.0 channel? Unfortunately with my devices I can't select the number of channel to thoroughness with toslink;
- I understand that TT2 outputs 7W at 8Ohm SE (double that if going balanced, but SE has more clarity). I guess it will be able to drive my 8Ohm speaker with a sensitivity of 92.1dB/2.83v/1 (rated sensitivity is actually 98dB, but the measured one is lower).
I tried to search for the fist one but couldn't find what I was looking for. Please link me to the right post if already answered. The second question is just for reassuring me that I won't need to buy a TToby (and that I can save for a M Scaler down the line).

Many thanks and kind regards
Luca

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #8,458 of 18,958
I have tried my Klipsch 96db rated speakers via XLR on low gain and kept getting an overheating warning onTT2. No issues with high gain. I suspect that they are a fair bit less sensitive than 96db but even so only high gain was enough juice. For headphones I prefer high gain with my LCD-4 and low with Layla CIEMs. It’s a very versatile machine and sounds amazing however to set it up tbh.

You are guessing right: a Klipsch engineer at "community.klipsch.com" said that their speakers are listened to and measured in a room, rather than In an anechoic chamber, and that the difference is about 4 dB. Your speaker would be in a range from 90 to 92db (as the Klipsch RP-8000F are rated 98 but measure 92db).

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #8,459 of 18,958
- if my 3rd party TV decoder/LG TV has Toslink output, will the TT2 be able to downmix from 5.1 to 2.0 channel?

Sorry, no it cannot do that.

I understand that TT2 outputs 7W at 8Ohm SE (double that if going balanced, but SE has more clarity). I guess it will be able to drive my 8Ohm speaker with a sensitivity of 92.1dB/2.83v/1 (rated sensitivity is actually 98dB, but the measured one is lower).

A qualified yes to that. The qualification is that I would not recommend playing loud in a large room or for long periods without a possible risk of overheating the TT2. On the other hand Rob himself uses his TT2 into not dissimilar speakers and is plenty happy with how loud they play. The trouble is that everyone's idea of what is loud is somewhat different. I play my TT2 direct into 94dB speakers in a 3m x 4m room and it never really gets warm but if I want really loud rock music I got to my main system with a set or power amps because I would not risk my TT2 trying to get stomach moving bass notes for a whole album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back