Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 10, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #7,291 of 18,937
I know most of this it's basic stuff i just got confused with the new mscaler artwork and my imac optical out settings.:cold_sweat:

many thanks for your breakdown it has helped alot. mk
No probs :)

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #7,292 of 18,937
I'm really confused about the Mscaler / TT2 being added to Roon. Assuming that the most likely use case with Roon is streaming to a network streamer (as opposed to outputting directly from whatever's running your Core), under what circumstances does Chord gear being Roon Tested actually matter? My Mscaler / TT2 are downstream of a (Roon Ready) Bluesound Node 2. That's the thing that Roon picks up. How does it matter what's downstream of that?

Horrible feeling that I'm utterly unaware of something that everyone else knows, and that's really obvious. Eep.

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #7,293 of 18,937
i suppose if you are doing loads of dsp processing but for the mscaler with rbcd it doesn't matter much i think? let someone else chime in here.

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #7,294 of 18,937
Yeah, that's kinda what I figure. Just squirt in CD-quality or above, get audio unicorn honey out the other side. Wouldn't expect (or need?) Roon to add / change anything?

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #7,295 of 18,937
I'm really confused about the Mscaler / TT2 being added to Roon. Assuming that the most likely use case with Roon is streaming to a network streamer (as opposed to outputting directly from whatever's running your Core), under what circumstances does Chord gear being Roon Tested actually matter? My Mscaler / TT2 are downstream of a (Roon Ready) Bluesound Node 2. That's the thing that Roon picks up. How does it matter what's downstream of that?

Horrible feeling that I'm utterly unaware of something that everyone else knows, and that's really obvious. Eep.
It doesn't really matter what's downstream from your BS Node 2. Roon will always indicate what it's 'endpoint' is, in the Roon remote. In your case, it's the BS.

'Roon Tested DAC' status for the TT2/HMS is only really important when you have either of these units connected to the Roon 'core' directly, rather than downstream from something else. For me it's important, as I have my Nucleus connected to the TT2 via USB.

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #7,297 of 18,937
It doesn't really matter what's downstream from your BS Node 2. Roon will always indicate what it's 'endpoint' is, in the Roon remote. In your case, it's the BS.

'Roon Tested DAC' status for the TT2/HMS is only really important when you have either of these units connected to the Roon 'core' directly, rather than downstream from something else. For me it's important, as I have my Nucleus connected to the TT2 via USB.

Just a bit more on Roon. I use my Innuos Zenith SE as the Roon Core which then has various other devices around the house linked to the Core. For instance in the Study I have an Auralic Aries connected to the Mscaler. Roon 'sees' beyond the Aries and knows that it is connected to the Mscaler.

Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 10.35.32.png

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #7,298 of 18,937
you'd think they could have employed an artist with more flair?:art:

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #7,299 of 18,937
and I have just noticed that an MScaler logo has recently appeared on my Roon. Previously it just showed the streaming device connected to the Mscaler.

OMG, you still have Roon in white, I thought everybody changed to the Dark theme ages ago.

Dark theme in roon Setting > Setup is much nicer and alot easier on the eyes.

F609C295-4052-4E3C-B352-73DA921CABCA.png

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #7,300 of 18,937
Just a bit more on Roon. I use my Innuos Zenith SE as the Roon Core which then has various other devices around the house linked to the Core. For instance in the Study I have an Auralic Aries connected to the Mscaler. Roon 'sees' beyond the Aries and knows that it is connected to the Mscaler.

That's because your Aires in your system is functioning as a Roon Network Bridge, rather than a 'Roon Tested DAC'. Any connection beyond the network bridge via USB can be assigned as the player/'endpoint'.

This is in contrast to components connected in other ways other than USB. For example, in a situation where a HMS is connected via dual-BNC to a TT2, Roon would just see the HMS and not the TTT2, and the HMS would effectively be the Roon 'endpoint'.

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #7,301 of 18,937
Yeah, that's kinda what I figure. Just squirt in CD-quality or above, get audio unicorn honey out the other side. Wouldn't expect (or need?) Roon to add / change anything?
Incorrect. I was going optical from kann cube into mTT2 listening on susvara and lcd4. Though sound was good...

BUT last weekend started reading the forums in Roon Rock and audio Linux and people getting MASSIVE sound improvements... so ordered the parts on amazon to do a diy Roon nuc + build. ... keep in mind the Roon nuc + is 2500 but the diy is identical and 600... built it.,,

boom., SQ on mTT2 jumped 40 to 50 %. I was flabbergasted. And I then tried my mojopoly. Holyshit. This thing blew my socks off as I never would think 5is would impact WiFi sq.

been doing a ton of research in this this week... there are some amazing things happening here that I think will trickle down to the mainstream in a few years.., who could actually believe that an dedicated optimized Roon Linux appliance would make the mTT2 go to another level.

wow

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #7,302 of 18,937
Incorrect. I was going optical from kann cube into mTT2 listening on susvara and lcd4. Though sound was good...

BUT last weekend started reading the forums in Roon Rock and audio Linux and people getting MASSIVE sound improvements... so ordered the parts on amazon to do a diy Roon nuc + build. ... keep in mind the Roon nuc + is 2500 but the diy is identical and 600... built it.,,

boom., SQ on mTT2 jumped 40 to 50 %. I was flabbergasted. And I then tried my mojopoly. Holy****. This thing blew my socks off as I never would think 5is would impact WiFi sq.

been doing a ton of research in this this week... there are some amazing things happening here that I think will trickle down to the mainstream in a few years.., who could actually believe that an dedicated optimized Roon Linux appliance would make the mTT2 go to another level.

wow
YMMV with a dedicated Roon ROCK NUC server. However, I use a Roon Nucleus, which is basically a NUC in a fancy case, albeit with an optimised version of ROCK preinstalled. I connect the Nucleus directly to TT2 via USB. And the results are indeed sublime!

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #7,303 of 18,937
Umm i think is not that simple as a simple wooden box i dont know whats inside. They started 1999 and have probebly perfected it. But yeah the cost of making that wooden box couldent be anywear near £3000. Maybe you pay for the researsh and labour. But yeah could be cheaper. Or maybe you pay for the sound quality improvement whatever the cost of production costed in this audio world. New 65 inch tvs always have same price for exempel almost when new and better then previous generation. But in the audio world when something is better you have to pay much higher price it seems. Everyone got to eat right.

Why not just invest in some transparent cables. They have a network built into the cable and for the price of these boxes you can probably get into their ultra line of cables.

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #7,304 of 18,937

@Triode User - have you tried using the "Experimental" LMS Squeezebox emulation in the Innuos Zenith? Once I set up that configuration I never looked back, as the sound quality under this config was a massive improvement (buffering the audio and playing from RAM). In using this configuration, the Zenith would show up as the endpoint. I have never seen my M Scaler or TT2 under available Zones - and for some reason I do see both units under "Available Audio Devices" but I have never gotten Roon to properly set them up. I assumed it was due to the LMS emulation, since setting the M Scaler as the selected "Zone" would bypass LMS.

EDIT: I am also using an Aries in my office system as a streamer, connected to a Luxman DA-06 via USB. When I stream from the Zone in my office, the Aries shows up but not the DA-06. I assume this is because the Aries is the bridge, and the DA-06 is not Roon tested.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #7,305 of 18,937
@Triode User - have you tried using the "Experimental" LMS Squeezebox emulation in the Innuos Zenith? Once I set up that configuration I never looked back, as the sound quality under this config was a massive improvement (buffering the audio and playing from RAM). In using this configuration, the Zenith would show up as the endpoint. I have never seen my M Scaler or TT2 under available Zones - and for some reason I do see both units under "Available Audio Devices" but I have never gotten Roon to properly set them up. I assumed it was due to the LMS emulation, since setting the M Scaler as the selected "Zone" would bypass LMS.

EDIT: I am also using an Aries in my office system as a streamer, connected to a Luxman DA-06 via USB. When I stream from the Zone in my office, the Aries shows up but not the DA-06. I assume this is because the Aries is the bridge, and the DA-06 is not Roon tested.

Yes I do use the "Experimental" LMS Squeezebox emulation in the Innuos Zenith. This is my Roon Audio Settings page showing that. I have the Zenith connected to Blu2 in the main listening room and the Aries connected to an Mscaler in the study.

IMG_0191.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back