1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, May 10, 2018.
First

Back
476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485
487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496
Next

Last
  1. Mediahound
    Believe it, because that's what it is, along with the auto settings ideal for the device (like exclusive mode, if the device supports it, etc.)

Look, this is easy enough to test yourself. If you really believe there is some audio DSP being auto set when you select a device in Roon, try changing to another DAC preset, does the audio sound signature change?

kelly200269 likes this.
  2. Hooster
    Kind of with you there, but I am no huge fan of updates. I want it to work 100% the first time around. I still scratch my head about what Chord has decided to include and omit , but I am not going to go there.

Amberlamps likes this.
  3. Triode User
    and I have just noticed that an MScaler logo has recently appeared on my Roon. Previously it just showed the streaming device connected to the Mscaler.

Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 07.03.22.png

4. Mediahound
    Yes, because Roon just released it as Roon Tested now (along with the Hugo TT2). So, it got a logo.

5. musickid
    roon does not detect chord gear. you pick the device artwork.

ok i've tested it. i did jump the gun a bit. the mcaler is roon tested not roon ready. so only roon ready gear has the roon recognition software/hardware built in. roon tested just means it works seamlesslly with roon. when you pick a new device artwork so in my case the mscaler the settings all revert to default settings. so you need to just readjust them to suit your preferences. so switch exclusive mode and integer mode back on etc etc. my theory that chord gear would be treated like the audeze headphone settings was wrong. i stand corrected. so all that hype for some artwork as we basically know chord gear works great with roon anyway.

the less roon does the better it is for the mscaler. no upsampling, all dsp disabled for bit perfect purple light signal etc etc.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    kelly200269 likes this.
  6. kelly200269
    This is correct.
    There are two ‘classes’ of ‘Roon approved’ hardware.
    ‘Roon Ready’ means that there are firmware changes/updates in the Roon ‘endpoint’ itself, to facilitate greater Roon integration, and to support Roon’s own streaming protocol RAAT (which is different to UPnP). With these devices, Roon autodetects the device, and you have greater control of the device from your Roon ‘remote’. My Lumin A1 worked this way when I had it, streaming from a Roon Nucleus via Ethernet.
    ‘Roon Tested DAC’s’ are approved for use by Roon, but there are no hardware/firmware changes in the DAC itself. They are just ‘approved’ for use with Roon. As had been stated, Roon will not/cannot autodetect these devices, and you need to choose your icon. However, with this choice Roon will then know what the capabilities of the DAC are, such as maximum input rate, DSD over DoP etc, and this choice will set some Roon ‘defaults’ to make sure it works with the DAC. But you can change those within Roon If you wish, subject to the individual DAC’s specifications.
    Prior to Roon adding a TT2 icon, I used the TT1 icon within Roon, and it worked perfectly. It’s just nice to have the right icon at last!

gnomen likes this.
  7. musickid
    roon does not change any default settings to adjust to your chord gear. selecting new artwork with roon tested chord gear results in most of the settings just reverting back to default values. you have to adjust the settings back to how you want them as they were before. everything else is good. all this for a new little picture lol.

8. kelly200269
    Yes, Roon does change some defaults within Roon to make sure it can work with the attached DAC. These changes are made within the Roon software itself, rather than in the DAC. For example, depending on the attached DAC, Roon will limit the maximum input sampling rate available to choose, and also limit Roon ‘up sampling’ rates in Roon DSP.
    As I’ve previously stated, there are no changes made, or even required, in the DAC itself.

9. musickid
    with my mscaler artwork chosen all the settings basically remained exactly the same apart from having to switch exclusive mode and integer mode back on. we all had this discussion before and we came to the conclusion that roon does not detect or change any settings with roon tested chord artwork/hardware selected. i chose my max sampling rate not roon with my mscaler artwork selected and mscaler on. my max sampling rate was 96K fixed before and after selecting the mscaler artwork with mscaler connected on. nothing changed. your opinion would indicate roon would set the sample rate to 768K which it didn't because i determined it.

10. kelly200269
    As I have stated repeatedly in my recent posts, selecting the correct icon in Roon for your ‘Roon Tested’ DAC will not make any changes in the DAC itself.
    But what that choice DOES do is effectively tell Roon what the input capabilities, specifications etc of the DAC are. This is important, as if you use Roon’S DSP, Roon needs to know the maximum input sampling rate of the connected DAC.

11. musickid
    i wonder if the confusion on my side is because i have an optical connection from my imac to the mscaler. so i have the mscaler artwork but roon is only showing max. sample rates of 48/96K which are the max. sample rates of optical out of my imac. the computer does max. 96K out of its optical port. roon is detecting the built in output of the imac?

kelly could you explain how roon is able to detect the attached dac and know it's operating parameters with respect to max sample rate etc. does roon have a database and can it only do this with the artwork selected to tell it which dac is in use? so with dacs not roon tested and no artwork it's up to the user to get the settings right? if the mscaler was usb connected to my imac roon core then all the right settings would show in roon audio settings?

12. kelly200269
    Yes, with respect to your iMac, the Roon 'core' on the iMac knows that the maximum possible sampling rate via TOSLINK from it's 'core' (the iMac) to a connected DAC is 96Khz, hence why it only shows a maximum sampling rate of 96Khz by default.

With 'Roon Tested' DAC's, the Roon 'core' cannot detect an attached DAC, unlike with a 'Roon Ready' network player. With a Roon Tested DAC, it is up to the user to select the appropriate hardware/DAC from the Roon 'remote', by selecting the appropriate icon from the manufacturers menu. But once you do select the appropriate DAC, Roon does indeed have a database, which 'knows' the maximum sampling rate etc of the attached hardware/DAC, and Roon will use this information to set some default settings for you. These settings will also impact on any Roon DSP functions that you may wish to use, including setting the maximum upsampling rate by the Roon core, before passing it to the DAC. This Roon DSP feature is obviously irrelevant to Chord DAC users, and it would be daft to use Roon's core DSP upsampling feature, when Rob's WTA filters within the DAC do a much better job.

If you do use a DAC with Roon that hasn't been 'Roon Tested', it may still work/connect, but it is up to the user to specify the default input settings etc, and yes, it is up to the user to get the settings right. And yes, if your HMS was connected to the iMac core via USB, then the all the right settings would show up in the Roon audio settings on your Roon remote.

13. JamieMcC
    I'm wondering if a Roon Ready TT2 will now wake from sleep via the Roon app where normally it wouldn't prior as a Roon tested device?

14. kelly200269
    No, it doesn't. The TT2 is not 'Roon Ready'. It's classified by Roon as a 'Roon tested DAC'.
    Waking from sleep only applies to 'Roon Ready' devices/network players/streaming DAC's.

15. musickid
    I know most of this it's basic stuff i just got confused with the new mscaler artwork and my imac optical out settings.:cold_sweat:

many thanks for your breakdown it has helped alot. mk

kelly200269 likes this.
First

Back
476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485
487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496
Next

Last