Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 16, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #6,961 of 18,905
@Rob Watts is it normal for there to be a high pitched noise going from the TT2 when the display is on? I have a unit on loan for a trial and it is only emitting the noise when the display is on.

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #6,962 of 18,905
There were a few posts on the subject on 6th Feb, but I didn't spot a reply. I think rob has posted on other threads that display electronics can cause some noise, so the displays switch off once the owner has finished adjusting the settings.

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #6,963 of 18,905
@Rob Watts is it normal for there to be a high pitched noise going from the TT2 when the display is on? I have a unit on loan for a trial and it is only emitting the noise when the display is on.

Try the display on the dim setting.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #6,965 of 18,905

Both TT2s I owned did this. I seem to recall the high pitched noise was quieter if the display was dimmed. It was only certain display words that caused it too, or made it worse, but I can’t recall I’m afraid. It was annoying sometimes as I was using it in a bedroom setup quite close to the bed and it was surprisingly audible.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #6,967 of 18,905
currently pairing hugo2 with ether 2

wonder if i should get a gsxmini amp to up the game, or just sell Hugo2 to get a hugott2.

I guess the real question is, does hugott2 sounds significantly better (with planar) than hugo2 + a decent amp(decent cable&power supply ).

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #6,968 of 18,905

wonder if i should get a gsxmini amp to up the game, or just sell Hugo2 to get a hugott2.

I guess the real question is, does hugott2 sounds significantly better (with planar) than hugo2 + a decent amp(decent cable&power supply ).
To me the TT2 is significantly better than my Qutest was with any TOTL SS amp. (I am also using planars.)
Whether the improvement is 'significant' to someone else is highly subjective. I recommend an audition.

TT2 compared to Hugo2/Qutest with amp sounds (even) more real and life-like. The space where the music happens is more tangible and more 3D-like. All instruments and voices are more natural. The sound is also more detailed but in an effortless way. Like jumping up a level of resolution on screens.

Even the best neutral SS amps will colour the sound to some extent. (Add distortion in Chord's vocabulary.) This may mean a thicker bass or more sparkly treble. Some people like it, some don't.

If you want the cleanest, clearest, most natural and life-like sound with great resolution, soundstage depth and details, go for the TT2.

(And yes, yes, I know MScaler exists too.)

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #6,969 of 18,905

I was in a similar place several months ago. On one hand you can sell the Hugo2, not buy the GSXMini and have just about enough money for the TT2.

With the Ether 2s, I really loved them when running a balanced cable. With single ended, I didn’t feel they were as exciting.

The TT2 is definitely more transparent and impressive than a Hugo2 + Amp but it might also cause you to want new headphones after a month or so.

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #6,970 of 18,905
Both TT2s I owned did this. I seem to recall the high pitched noise was quieter if the display was dimmed. It was only certain display words that caused it too, or made it worse, but I can’t recall I’m afraid. It was annoying sometimes as I was using it in a bedroom setup quite close to the bed and it was surprisingly audible.

Geeze... I thought one of the most basic things regarding audio equipment is that it should be silent. Come on, Chord, you can do better.

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #6,971 of 18,905
Geeze... I thought one of the most basic things regarding audio equipment is that it should be silent. Come on, Chord, you can do better.
I don't have this problem with my TT2. It is equally silent with DIM1, DIM0 or screen off.
The reason for the noise can be anything really from main power problems to connected audio equipment... I only use TT2 with headphones.
As a secondary thought we could also check serial numbers. Mine is 415XX.

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #6,972 of 18,905
To me the TT2 is significantly better than my Qutest was with any TOTL SS amp. (I am also using planars.)
Whether the improvement is 'significant' to someone else is highly subjective. I recommend an audition.

TT2 compared to Hugo2/Qutest with amp sounds (even) more real and life-like. The space where the music happens is more tangible and more 3D-like. All instruments and voices are more natural. The sound is also more detailed but in an effortless way. Like jumping up a level of resolution on screens.

Even the best neutral SS amps will colour the sound to some extent. (Add distortion in Chord's vocabulary.) This may mean a thicker bass or more sparkly treble. Some people like it, some don't.

If you want the cleanest, clearest, most natural and life-like sound with great resolution, soundstage depth and details, go for the TT2.

(And yes, yes, I know MScaler exists too.)

Your description about tt2’s sound stage really convinced me, to me soundstage means everything, a device that could project live like sound stage means it just got everything that matters right.

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #6,973 of 18,905
I was in a similar place several months ago. On one hand you can sell the Hugo2, not buy the GSXMini and have just about enough money for the TT2.

With the Ether 2s, I really loved them when running a balanced cable. With single ended, I didn’t feel they were as exciting.

The TT2 is definitely more transparent and impressive than a Hugo2 + Amp but it might also cause you to want new headphones after a month or so.

That’s true, ether 2 run balenced benefit soundstage depth a lot. I am only asking is because I thought hugo2 as dac is really good enough for me, Dave didn’t impressed me that much. Did you try the xlr output at the back of tt2 with ether2? Does it do a good job driving ether2? (There is no way of testing this, because the cable that required)

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #6,974 of 18,905
That’s true, ether 2 run balenced benefit soundstage depth a lot. I am only asking is because I thought hugo2 as dac is really good enough for me, Dave didn’t impressed me that much. Did you try the xlr output at the back of tt2 with ether2? Does it do a good job driving ether2? (There is no way of testing this, because the cable that required)
There are so many misconceptions about balanced vs. single ended output. In the end it doesn't really matter. Balanced output has become a marketing slogan these days. I think it is because in the price range of £500-2500 amps (most popular price range) balanced usually sound better than the single ended output due to the higher level of power. Balanced output sounded obviously superior on my CMA600i or Taurus MKII. The sound was tighter, more precise, more dynamic, more impactful. But the reason for that wasn't necessarily the balanced implementation, but the whole topology, the amp and its circuits themselves.
As some of the previous posts explained, 98% of headphones don't need the power of balanced output. It is all about implementation and some other factors.
SE or BAL does not matter. Both can be good and bad.
Believe me, TT2 SE out beats any balanced output of sub £4000 amps.

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #6,975 of 18,905
There are so many misconceptions about balanced vs. single ended output. In the end it doesn't really matter. Balanced output has become a marketing slogan these days. I think it is because in the price range of £500-2500 amps (most popular price range) balanced usually sound better than the single ended output due to the higher level of power. Balanced output sounded obviously superior on my CMA600i or Taurus MKII. The sound was tighter, more precise, more dynamic, more impactful. But the reason for that wasn't necessarily the balanced implementation, but the whole topology, the amp and its circuits themselves.
As some of the previous posts explained, 98% of headphones don't need the power of balanced output. It is all about implementation and some other factors.
SE or BAL does not matter. Both can be good and bad.
Believe me, TT2 SE out beats any balanced output of sub £4000 amps.

Guess I choose the wrong cable for ether 2,and i agree with what you said above. 4 channel balenced mid-fi amp does performing better than the se amp at the same price range for obvious reason. I just didn’t expecting hugott2’s amp solution to be that good. Now i am truly intrigued

Users who are viewing this thread

Back