Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 20, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #6,994 of 18,895
I have the exact same thing on mine except it isn't a loaner. The noise is actually very audible when sitting in front of my desk (TT2 being around 1m away), but only with the display on. Should i contact support about it?

Your dealer should assist you. This is clearly a fault since Rob says the noise should only be audible within 1m.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #6,995 of 18,895
Your dealer should assist you. This is clearly a fault since Rob says the noise should only be audible within 1m.

And yet several of us have reported it. I’ve owned two TT2s, from different suppliers, at different times. Both did it. The sound is very high pitched, rather like when an old style flash used to charge on a camera, so perhaps some just don’t hear it. Further than a couple meters away it’s inaudible. And it only occurs when the display lights up, and even then some combinations of letters seem to make it more audible. Unfortunately I haven’t got a TT2 at present to test further. I have a TT at present and there’s no noise at all from the display.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #6,996 of 18,895
And yet several of us have reported it. I’ve owned two TT2s, from different suppliers, at different times. Both did it. The sound is very high pitched, like when an old style flash used to charge on a camera, so perhaps some just don’t hear it. Further than a couple meters away it’s inaudible. And it only occurs when the display lights up, and even then some combinations of letters seem to make it more audible. Unfortunately I haven’t got a TT2 at present to test further. I have a TT at present and there’s no noise at all from the display.
may i ask why you prefer tt over tt2?

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #6,997 of 18,895
may i ask why you prefer tt over tt2?

Sure. I found the TT2 a little ruthless on less well recorded material. TT is a better all rounder, for me. For my tastes, for my ears, and my system I also thought there was (comparatively) a bit of a ‘hardness’ to the sound compared with the less intense Hugo and TT, which I found made it harder to relax with the music. I also found that trick where the sound seems to blossom out of your speakers and make them sound twice as big, was more apparent with TT than the more accurate TT2. I also found it easier to get lost in the music and follow each musical strand on the TT more than the TT2, even though TT2 was more detailed and technically superior. The TT was like a Technicolor movie, the TT2 a state of the art 4K one. I do miss the TT2 sometimes though, and it obviously has far greater upgrading potential with M-Scaler. I think my ideal DAC would be a mix of TT2s resolution with TTs ‘joie de vivre’ and exuberance, which probably points towards a Dave :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #6,998 of 18,895
Have you got your adapters to run directly off the TT2 yet?

I didn't do it yet. It might take a while. It's taken me months already, and not done it yet.

I am concerned:
  • That I would need to use most/all of the volume range on single ended. TT2 is louder than Hugo 2, and I remember @miketlse saying Hugo 2 is just about loud enough. We have same sensitivity speakers. Mine are six-ohm, but I can't recall what his are.
  • I would need to use balanced out I think because sometimes albums can be quieter than others. Watching Amazon Prime often needs much more volume than music. Games too. … Am like you worried about making too much heat in the TT2. Although I think if the source is quiet, the TT2 will not actually be pushing much wattage.
  • I never play loud music, but I don't know how much load I will cause on the TT2.
  • Like you said it made you nervous making your own plugs. I am worried I will mess up. I know I will be very careful, and look it over a thousand times. I have instructions from Rob Watts and Triode User, so I can't go wrong. However Murphy's Law is, 'what can go wrong will go wrong', and it only needs to go wrong once.
  • I know making my own adapters would result in a sound quality drop of its own. Any connections degrade the signal. For technical continuity, I will probably buy 1m of speaker cable that I use for my speakers. (Although I would test with cheap cable first.) Even so the bare parts of wire and connection will be subject to RFI. I have been thinking of ways to shield them. (Pic at the bottom, of the female speaker sockets that I bought.)
  • My connections would be electrically exposed, because I bought metal female speaker sockets. I would have to cover the parts at the back of the speaker plug sockets, with both shielding and electrical isolation.

A good chance I will do it in the end though. However I always end up weighing it up. Is it less hassle and less risk, to just buy a good interconnect with a good amplifier? All in all though, Rob and others have driver speakers direct from TT2. I think Rob uses his speakers all the time from TT2. All said, the TT2 through an amp is the best I ever heard so far. Unless my AKG N5005 are better from TT2. (Still need to get some headphones, but made up my mind now.) Am happy, even though I know I could most likely do better driving speakers direct.

DSC05734.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #6,999 of 18,895
Sure. I found the TT2 a little ruthless on less well recorded material. TT is a better all rounder, for me. For my tastes, for my ears, and my system I also thought there was (comparatively) a bit of a ‘hardness’ to the sound compared with the less intense Hugo and TT, which I found made it harder to relax with the music. I also found that trick where the sound seems to blossom out of your speakers and make them sound twice as big, was more apparent with TT than the more accurate TT2. I also found it easier to get lost in the music and follow each musical strand on the TT more than the TT2, even though TT2 was more detailed and technically superior. The TT was like a Technicolor movie, the TT2 a state of the art 4K one. I do miss the TT2 sometimes though, and it obviously has far greater upgrading potential with M-Scaler. I think my ideal DAC would be a mix of TT2s resolution with TTs ‘joie de vivre’ and exuberance, which probably points towards a Dave :)
I found exactly the same when moving from TT to TT2. On first hearing the TT2, I missed the 'warmth' of the TT, and found the TT2 a little 'ruthless' too.
I think that I may have 'gotten used to' the sound of the TT2 over the last couple of months, so I don't notice the difference as much. Also, I changed the RCA cables from Atlas Mavros Ultra Grun, to Chord Super Sarum ARAY, which tend to mitigate a little against the slight 'hardness'.
There's no doubt in my mind that the TT2 'brings you closer to the music' compared to the TT, but that occasionally makes for a less relaxed listen IMO.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #7,000 of 18,895
I found exactly the same when moving from TT to TT2. On first hearing the TT2, I missed the 'warmth' of the TT, and found the TT2 a little 'ruthless' too.
I think that I may have 'gotten used to' the sound of the TT2 over the last couple of months, so I don't notice the difference as much. Also, I changed the RCA cables from Atlas Mavros Ultra Grun, to Chord Super Sarum ARAY, which tend to mitigate a little against the slight 'hardness'.
There's no doubt in my mind that the TT2 'brings you closer to the music' compared to the TT, but that occasionally makes for a less relaxed listen IMO.

I had TT2 for a good 6 months but in the end I just wasn't connecting with the music in quite the way I prefer (and I realise everyone is different here). There's no doubting it's technical superiority, but TT for whatever reason just sounds more like live music to me than TT2. Stringed and brass instruments have just the right amount of body and weight and tonal colour, for example. Tonal shading sounded a bit 'bleached' on both the TT2s I owned. Both also had the high pitch noise when the display was lit too, which I found surprisingly annoying in a bedroom setup, though obviously the noise doesn't last long each time. Surprising really as my mid-fi gear is probably on the warmer side of neutral, and yet I had the results that I did. I think sometimes in this crazy hobby you just have to stop when it feels right to you, you're fully connecting with the music, and cannot stop listening. At that point ignore the forums and trust your instincts. Of course having said all this I'll probably sell TT and get a third TT2, just to be sure of my findings haha! :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #7,001 of 18,895
I had TT2 for a good 6 months but in the end I just wasn't connecting with the music in quite the way I prefer (and I realise everyone is different here). Stringed and brass instruments had just the right amount of body and weight and tonal colour, for example. There's no doubting it's technical superiority, but TT for whatever reason just sounds more like live music to me than TT2. Both my TT2s had the high pitch noise when the display was lit too, which I found surprisingly annoying in a bedroom setup, though obviously the noise doesn't last long each time. Surprising really as my mid-fi gear is probably on the warmer side of neutral, and yet I had the results that I did. I think sometimes in this crazy hobby you just have to stop when it feels right to you, you're fully connecting with the music, and cannot stop listening. At that point ignore the forums and trust your instincts. Of course having said all this I'll probably sell TT and get a third TT2, just to be sure of my findings haha! :wink:
I don't have TT but to my ears Hugo 2 alone sounds so much slow as compared to tt2 and HMS. Even tt2 alone is lot cleaner than Hugo 2 and as compared to Hugo 2 my earlier Hugo 1 sounded 'splashy'. Mojo even being warmer sounds dirtier than TT2. So progression from earlier models to newer models in chord dac is very clear. It is definitely in the direction of improvement. Tt2 like any other dac requires 60 to 100 hours of burn in to sound best imho .

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #7,002 of 18,895
I don't have TT but to my ears Hugo 2 alone sounds so much slow as compared to tt2 and HMS. Even tt2 alone is lot cleaner than Hugo 2 and as compared to Hugo 2 my earlier Hugo 1 sounded 'splashy'. Mojo even being warmer sounds dirtier than TT2. So progression from earlier models to newer models in chord dac is very clear. It is definitely in the direction of improvement. Tt2 like any other dac requires 60 to 100 hours of burn in to sound best imho .

Just goes to show we all hear things differently :)

Sep 20, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #7,003 of 18,895
I've tried all combinations of display on with bright /low dim with TT2 playing and not playing and being well less than 1M away not a squeak or any sounds of any description emanating from my TT2. Maybe affecting only the earlier models?? My purchase just 10 days ago. I'm also adjusting from mscaled h2 to mscaled tt2 and i feel there is an urge to return to the sound you "know" but with some patience the new improvements always shine through.

Sep 20, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #7,005 of 18,895
I bought my TT2 around two months ago. I can't hear any noise either.

Certainly sounds like earlier model perhaps had this minor issue then. Or some just cannot hear it as it's very high pitched. As I said earlier, like the high pitched whine as an old camera flash used to charge. Some could hear it (or sense it?) and some couldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back