Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 5, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #6,721 of 19,009
Loss of spatial cues ( due to adding of amp or any other reason ) means lesser depth means apparently wider soundstage. Has anybody experienced it ? This imho is more relevant with headphones due to their peculiar driver position, firing directly towards the ears. Reason for posting this here is that tt2 + HMS combo sounds incredibly 3 dimensional and adding anything in the line should only degrade to 'apparently' wider soundstage.

Yes - direct connecting the Chord to speakers (sorry no experience with headphones) is an immediate improvement especially in the areas you mentioned - soundstage, depth and width. The comparison was done with a high end Grandinote Amp. We did not do a direct comparison against the Grandinote DAC but from memory when direct connected it was better than that DAC. In fact its the best DAC/Amp combination I have heard - and I have heard a few. Its without doubt IMHO the best value DAC and AMP I know of since you just have the DAC and no amp. When the audiophiles I know (all very experienced) get a bit of time (they are all very busy) we will do a much more detailed comparison.

Thanks
Bill

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #6,723 of 19,009
Question for Rob - can you confirm that the balanced output is the actual output stage of the DAC and not connected to an amp. I know you have explained it and I tried to explain it to a tech a know who refuses to believe it - it must contain an mp to produce 18w. To stop any further debate on the issue I said I will ask Rob to confirm it. My understanding is the output stage, with appropriate noise shaping of course, simply switches the internal supply.

Thanks
Bill

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #6,724 of 19,009
18W must be the actual maximum output no amp connected. Although whether 18W is ever fully used is another question.

Sep 5, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #6,725 of 19,009
Is that a click from the TT2 itself? I remember on one of the threads there was discussion about clicks because relays were switching on and off.

Yes, a “hardware” click from the unit itself, not the signal and a constant volume level, regardless of output level or of music is even playing at all. I can’t recall if I have, but some have said it happens on standby mode as well. It’s infrequent, but still. Just wondering.

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #6,726 of 19,009
Some of us actually live on the island as well.

On another Chord note I have noticed the price of the Mojo has been reduced by %25 here in the UK (for a limited time) down from £399 to £299 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-Mojo...ds=chord+mojo&qid=1567582294&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Mojo 2 imminent ?

An all in one mojo+poly ?

To be honest, I'm not sure chord can do better in the size of case mojo has, but a larger case, say the size of mojo & poly combined, now that could possibly bring some decent SQ upgrades.

The reason I say this is because 2go surely can't be the biggest consumer item they release this year, their 30th anniversary. They did release that phono thing for record players, but thats not going to become a huge seller like mojo was. I think they have an updated mojo, or a better than mojo but not as good as hugo 2 dac to release this year.

I'd buy one.

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #6,727 of 19,009
Mojo 2 imminent ?

To be honest, I'm not sure chord can do better in the size of case mojo has, but a larger case, say the size of mojo & poly combined, now that could possibly bring some decent SQ upgrades.

The reason I say this is because 2go surely can't be the biggest consumer item they release this year, their 30th anniversary. They did release that phono thing for record players, but thats not going to become a huge seller like mojo was. I think they have an updated mojo, or a better than mojo but not as good as hugo 2 dac to release this year.

I'd buy one.
Bluetooth Mojo 2 in the same size but without all the bells and whistles of Poly, for £399. :)

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #6,728 of 19,009
Did anyone ever determine why the TT2 makes a “click” from time to time (like the sound when turning on)? It will do it in the middle of a track, so not a sampling rate or other state change. Maybe @Rob Watts can enlighten?

Mine does it when it's not even being used or turned on. It will be on standby and it will go click click for no reason, happens all the time and I have no idea whats causing it. It still works perfectly so I'm not that bothered about it, but it would be good to know what it is. I know Mike said something about relays, but I would of thought that would only happen when it is turned on and being used ?

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #6,729 of 19,009
Bluetooth Mojo 2 in the same size but without all the bells and whistles of Poly, for £399. :)

With BT 5 and aptx and ldac support.

That schit right there would be cool, but Chord are about real music and BT and the others don't really cut it, hence poly being a wifi device.

Sometimes I can't be fckd with mojo and poly, sometimes I just want to grab my old sony ericsson MW600, it's so simple and is thinner and smaller than my pinky and it has an oled screen. For the size of it and for what it is, it's perfect if you are in a hurry and are not caring about uber sound quality.

upload_2019-9-5_15-31-32.jpeg

This is why I want the new iBasso DC01, a usb C 384khz and dsd 256 capable balanced dac. There is also a DC02 unbalanced version, for $51

This will be perfect to use my balanced iem cables with :)

They are selling out as fast as iBasso can make them, the first lot sold out in days and a back order for another 20'000 has already sold out with pre orders. Getting one is gunna be hard :frowning2:

upload_2019-9-5_15-35-38.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #6,730 of 19,009
Mojo 2 imminent ?

I'd buy one.

What crossed my mind was a Mojo + Chromecast Audio $25 (Chromecast powered by usb battery power bank) making for a portable wireless Roon endpoint for headphone use around the house (even in the garden now curtesy of a new dual band router).

Be handy not just for myself but other members of the family as well. I have seen feedback that the poly makes a nice improvement over the CCA but just for occasional use I'm tempted out of curiosity to give a Mojo CCA combo a try.

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #6,731 of 19,009
With BT 5 and aptx and ldac support.

That schit right there would be cool, but Chord are about real music and BT and the others don't really cut it, hence poly being a wifi device.

Sometimes I can't be fckd with mojo and poly, sometimes I just want to grab my old sony ericsson MW600, it's so simple and is thinner and smaller than my pinky and it has an oled screen. For the size of it and for what it is, it's perfect if you are in a hurry and are not caring about uber sound quality.

This is why I want the new iBasso DC01, a usb C 384khz and dsd 256 capable balanced dac. There is also a DC02 unbalanced version, for $51

This will be perfect to use my balanced iem cables with :)

They are selling out as fast as iBasso can make them, the first lot sold out in days and a back order for another 20'000 has already sold out with pre orders. Getting one is gunna be hard :frowning2:

I tried similar devices, like the EarStudio ES100 or NextDrive Spectra X. They are far from Mojo's sq, but that's expected. Still, if you go comfort over sq, with these devices you still have the IEM cable. So you have bad sound and only slightly better comfort. That's why I am experimenting with true wireless earbuds: bad sound but ultimate comfort. I also can't be fckd with external amp and two wires on my flights anymore. And even Mojo won't give me the sound I am used to now with the TT2. Then why not go for something that sounds a bit worse, but comfort-wise makes life/travelling so much easier.

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #6,732 of 19,009
What crossed my mind was a Mojo + Chromecast Audio $25 (Chromecast powered by usb battery power bank) making for a portable wireless Roon endpoint for headphone use around the house (even in the garden now curtesy of a new dual band router).

Be handy not just for myself but other members of the family as well. I have seen feedback that the poly makes a nice improvement over the CCA but just for occasional use I'm tempted out of curiosity to give a Mojo CCA combo a try.

I have that setup, I had a couple of CCA's, but they were a pain in the arse with anything higher than 44.1khz, hires glitched out every few seconds. However, just as my CCA love affair was coming to an end, google did release new firmware that kinda fixed the hires problem, so it may be good now with hires tracks. Well I say hires, what I mean is upto 96khz, as that is the CCA's limit.

If it's still glitchy, just keep it set for 44.1khz as that worked flawlessly.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #6,733 of 19,009
I tried similar devices, like the EarStudio ES100 or NextDrive Spectra X. They are far from Mojo's sq, but that's expected. Still, if you go comfort over sq, with these devices you still have the IEM cable. So you have bad sound and only slightly better comfort. That's why I am experimenting with true wireless earbuds: bad sound but ultimate comfort. I also can't be fckd with external amp and two wires on my flights anymore. And even Mojo won't give me the sound I am used to now with the TT2. Then why not go for something that sounds a bit worse, but comfort-wise makes life/travelling so much easier.

Yeah, most of the time I roll with mojo and poly, but I know that if I take it outside to expect problems with it. Granted alot of it's problems have been fixed with the newest firmware, but in a rush, I look at mojo poly and think, not today, just let me grab this other thing instead.

I was looking at buying those wireless iem's also, but they all look too bulky and airpods can fck right off. There was one set that had very good reviews on amazon, enacfire 20 or 21, but they never came onto amazon uk. They looked slim and if I recall supported all the hires codecs.

That ibasso dc01 is meant to be very good, for £50 you can't go wrong, if you don't use it with a phone, it comes with a usb A adapter so that you can use it as an external soundcard on a pc, and I'm sure it will beat onboard sound no problem.

I know what you mean when you say that mojo doesn't cut it now that you've heard tt2, I feel exactly the same. I wish I had something the size of mojo but the sq of tt2 or dave. That day will come and it will come sooner than we think, not waiting decades for it.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #6,734 of 19,009
Mojo 2 imminent ?

I'd buy one.

Why below H2? I hope both better than H2, and if not with an MScaler already onboard, the least I would expect would be for it to be compatible with HMS.
That and only that would raise my interest in whatever new toy they have coming.
TT2 has clearly shown that they can do better!
And not employing the tech they already have ready in ANY new product would not be very smart,imho!
I expect an M Scaler compatible DAP that on its own has at least the same number of taps TT2 has and at least twice the amping-power of H2.
I hope the time for truly portable highend SQ is ripe!
Cheers CC

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #6,735 of 19,009
Yeah, most of the time I roll with mojo and poly, but I know that if I take it outside to expect problems with it. Granted alot of it's problems have been fixed with the newest firmware, but in a rush, I look at mojo poly and think, not today, just let me grab this other thing instead.

I was looking at buying those wireless iem's also, but they all look too bulky and airpods can fck right off. There was one set that had very good reviews on amazon, enacfire 20 or 21, but they never came onto amazon uk. They looked slim and if I recall supported all the hires codecs.

That ibasso dc01 is meant to be very good, for £50 you can't go wrong, if you don't use it with a phone, it comes with a usb A adapter so that you can use it as an external soundcard on a pc, and I'm sure it will beat onboard sound no problem.

I know what you mean when you say that mojo doesn't cut it now that you've heard tt2, I feel exactly the same. I wish I had something the size of mojo but the sq of tt2 or dave. That day will come and it will come sooner than we think, not waiting decades for it.
Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping too.
Cheers CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back