Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #6,076 of 18,905
It’s easy to take it for granted, or to get used to it, but I regularly do remark (to myself), just how surprisingly good it sounds.
It doesn’t always sound that good, but sometimes it does, and when it does, it really does.

You have 1337 posts

Leet!

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #6,078 of 18,905
I purchased a device to read power being supplied by cable I made. As in photo all good. It appears my A&K SR15 only works connected to a OTG cable but CAN'T charge on one!

Are there any portable DAP that have separate (2 ports) for data and power?

No one has any input??? If you've tried Bluetooth APTX you'll know why I am trying to get this to work.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #6,079 of 18,905
All I know is, the only thing special about roon nuc's is the OS, Roon OS, I think thats it.

But, Roon Rock OS is based on it and can be downloaded and installed onto any computer. I installed it on my nuc, it took 5 seconds to install, but I had network problems which at that time couldn't be traced, but I've found it and fixed it, so I will try again, and also try audio linux. Both are optimised for sound.

Judging by my Nuc, the roon nuc's should be a decent upgrade in sound compared to a normal computer audio server. I noticed straight away with my nuc that it sounded much warmer and more listenable compared to my desktop which I was using as my roon server. Using usb from my desktop or nuc to my mscaler & tt2.

My nuc isn't running an optimised OS, so roon nuc's may go that little bit further SQ wise. I wanted the roon nuc but then found out it was just an intel i3 cpu on a intel nuc mobo, but the nucleus + is an i7 cpu, but still pretty bare spec wise.

I love these things, everyone should have atleast one, thats how good I think intel nucs are, I should of bought one years ago.

I know you well researched this market a few months ago. I’m poised to go for the Sonic Transporter i5 as a middle ground between the expensive Nucleus and admittedly best-value self made Nucs. Did you consider these which are now available in UK?

Jul 22, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #6,081 of 18,905
Why don’t you just go USB to the TT2?
Hi Kelly, that's exactly what I do use at the moment. Just thinking there would be less RF and computer processing noise with something like the microRendu, or a newer product with the same concept.
Maybe the question is: still go for the microRendu or has the market moved on to newer and better options that achieve the same result?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #6,082 of 18,905
I know you well researched this market a few months ago. I’m poised to go for the Sonic Transporter i5 as a middle ground between the expensive Nucleus and admittedly best-value self made Nucs. Did you consider these which are now available in UK?

No I did not consider it, infact your post is the first I've heard about the sonic transporter. Had I known about it when I was in the market for something like that, I may of well chose it if it was available in the uk at the time.

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #6,083 of 18,905
I use a BNC cable between my streamer and new TT2, is it worth it to add clip on ferrites to this cable? I ask because I thought I read the TT2 has galvanic isolation, so the ferrites might not help.

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #6,084 of 18,905
I use a BNC cable between my streamer and new TT2, is it worth it to add clip on ferrites to this cable? I ask because I thought I read the TT2 has galvanic isolation, so the ferrites might not help.

it depends on how much RF (and in which frequency range) are being generated by your streamer.

with HMS, I could still hear the differences to TT2 with ferrites, but the difference was smaller than it was with Blu2 (I had already sold my Blu2, so this is from memory)

every source is going to have a different RF signature, so hard to generalize. Best thing to do is try and see what you hear (and report back!)

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #6,085 of 18,905
Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend MK.II have arrived into my system. I’m using just the TT-2 to power them and so far I haven’t had to go past -10 on high gain mode. I definitely could see some quieter classical recordings needing maybe a bit more juice. But as far as I’m concerned the TT-2 can push these speakers well beyond what levels I will listen to. It feels so wrong to power loudspeakers with a headphone amp, but at the same time it feels so good!

I’m one happy TT-2 owner!

517AEBFC-D4C3-48CC-9A92-24684D8B28A9.jpeg

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #6,086 of 18,905
Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend MK.II have arrived into my system. I’m using just the TT-2 to power them and so far I haven’t had to go past -10 on high gain mode. I definitely could see some quieter classical recordings needing maybe a bit more juice. But as far as I’m concerned the TT-2 can push these speakers well beyond what levels I will listen to. It feels so wrong to power loudspeakers with a headphone amp, but at the same time it feels so good!

I’m one happy TT-2 owner!

Placed speakers too close.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #6,089 of 18,905
it depends on how much RF (and in which frequency range) are being generated by your streamer
Thanks for the reply Ray-dude, I have a bunch of ferrites in a drawer at home so I will try clipping a few on. I originally bought some when I had the Hugo 2 on home demo, just to try, and they seemed to help a little. There is a really knowledable guy on the Naim forum who promotes using them on Ethernet cables going to Naim streamers (which I have), he is a Network engineer or something similar. He also suggested that looping Ethernet cable a few times through ferrites has its advantages too, curious if you, or anyone here has tried that? I have about 8 ferrites on both of my Ethernet cables going into my Server (Naim Core) and streamer (Naim NDS) currently. I have read these headfi forums for a couple of years, and you seem to be the one guy who experiments with everything possible, so I appreciate your efforts greatly.

Jul 22, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #6,090 of 18,905
Thanks for the reply Ray-dude, I have a bunch of ferrites in a drawer at home so I will try clipping a few on. I originally bought some when I had the Hugo 2 on home demo, just to try, and they seemed to help a little. There is a really knowledable guy on the Naim forum who promotes using them on Ethernet cables going to Naim streamers (which I have), he is a Network engineer or something similar. He also suggested that looping Ethernet cable a few times through ferrites has its advantages too, curious if you, or anyone here has tried that? I have about 8 ferrites on both of my Ethernet cables going into my Server (Naim Core) and streamer (Naim NDS) currently. I have read these headfi forums for a couple of years, and you seem to be the one guy who experiments with everything possible, so I appreciate your efforts greatly.

that’s very kind of you, but so many do so much and share so much here and elsewhere, I’m very glad to share my notes from following the trails they’ve blazed.

I haven’t done anything with Ethernet optimization yet. I’m waiting for the EtherRegen, then im going to dive in all at once

right now I’m playing with USB shielding (big impact) and mechanical isolation of DAVE (HUGE impact) and speakers (soon). When @Superdad is ready with EtherRegen, I’ll be all in again on the digital side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back