Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 20, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #6,046 of 18,907
Any chance the TT2 ‘burns in’?
I’ve just moved from TT1 to a brand-new TT2. I’ve had it playing for about 10 hours.
I’m just finding it a little ‘hard’ sounding at the mo’, compared to TT1.
Yes, it’s so much more resolving than TT1. It’s like you can ‘see’ into the sound mix - thrilling.
BUT it just sounds a little ‘hard’ compared to my TT1, which while it wasn’t as ‘accurate’ as TT2, hard a certain ‘warmth’ and roundness to it?

I think it depends on the sound that you are used to. After the Dave I find the TT2 to have a warmer, comforting sound (but I still prefer DAVE). You are used to TT1 and so have a different reference point. My take is that your ear will adjust and the TT2 will become the new normal and you will simply enjoy it. Although I haven’t tried it with TT2 I have compared a new Dave to a one year old one and to me they sounded identical so I personally don’t think the electronics burn in with the Chord DACs but there is obviously room for YMMV.

Jul 20, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #6,047 of 18,907
I think it depends on the sound that you are used to. After the Dave I find the TT2 to have a warmer, comforting sound (but I still prefer DAVE). You are used to TT1 and so have a different reference point. My take is that your ear will adjust and the TT2 will become the new normal and you will simply enjoy it. Although I haven’t tried it with TT2 I have compared a new Dave to a one year old one and to me they sounded identical so I personally don’t think the electronics burn in with the Chord DACs but there is obviously room for YMMV.
I think this is probably the case. I think I’m just surprised about how different TT1 and TT2 sound (at the moment) in my system.
To my ears at least, the TT1 is ‘darker’, and the TT2 appears a bit ‘brighter’. Not too bright, but just a shade or two. I think it just takes a bit of getting used to.
BUT the resolving power of this thing! OMG. I could have sworn Joss Stone was right in the room with me on ‘The Soul Sessions’ - I could literally hear her breathing in front of me. And that’s with 16/44.
I’m just wondering how much better TT2 is with HMS - ‘scary’ stuff! I :darthsmile:

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #6,048 of 18,907
I think this is probably the case. I think I’m just surprised about how different TT1 and TT2 sound (at the moment) in my system.
To my ears at least, the TT1 is ‘darker’, and the TT2 appears a bit ‘brighter’. Not too bright, but just a shade or two. I think it just takes a bit of getting used to.
BUT the resolving power of this thing! OMG. I could have sworn Joss Stone was right in the room with me on ‘The Soul Sessions’ - I could literally hear her breathing in front of me. And that’s with 16/44.
I’m just wondering how much better TT2 is with HMS - ‘scary’ stuff! I :darthsmile:

Yes, and do not even have a demo of HMS unless you have an inkling that you might buy. Once you have heard HMS it is difficult to un remember the glorious sound.

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #6,049 of 18,907
OK. The TT2 is settling in nicely.
In fact, after listening to it all day, I’m starting to question whether my brick of a £2.2K SACD player (that I haven’t used in a good long while) is really needed, or is eBay calling? I’ve ripped the 16/44.1 layers of all my hybrid SACD’s onto my HDD/Roon.
The TT2 seems to do immense things with PCM, that seem to make DSD/SACD irrelevant.

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #6,050 of 18,907
In fact, after listening to it all day, I’m starting to question whether my brick of a £2.2K SACD player (that I haven’t used in a good long while) is really needed, or is eBay calling? I’ve ripped the 16/44.1 layers of all my hybrid SACD’s onto my HDD/Roon.
The TT2 seems to do immense things with PCM, that seem to make DSD/SACD irrelevant.

Don't get rid of your disc spinner. Put it to one side if needs be, but keep hold of it.

I have done a bit of reflection recently and wish I had bought a really good CD Transport before going down the streamed audio route. Considering a Jay's Audio CDT ATM to feed my Metrum Acoustics Adagio - has amazing reviews and is built like a tank. I think there's something nice about choosing a disc and getting up to play it; it makes your choice more considered than just flying through eleventy billion albums in Roon.

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #6,051 of 18,907
I don't have a TT2 but I can provide feedback based on hugo 2. On several occasions I have listened to CD's and hybrid sacds played from a bluray drive, via optical into hugo 2, and concluded that they sound better than playing the flac version of the file from hard drive. There are posters on the blu2 thread, who maintain that for them playing a cd using blu2 and feeding that to a Chord dac, sounds better than playing a flac File. So pause before selling your sacd player, and compare with playing flac files (or similar) via TT2. If after that you conclude that you don't need your drive, then fair enough, but at least you will have made an informed decision.

Jul 20, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #6,052 of 18,907
Any audio equipment with electronic parts takes about 80 to 100 hours burn in imho , true not only for tt2 but all equipments. Also after every start it takes about half to one hour for warm up to sound the equipments at it's best.

How can a Chord DAC need time to warm up? There is a processor which outputs almost straight into the output. There are not load components that need warming up. There is no power amplification that needs warming up. I think there are only three components on the back end of the TT2.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #6,053 of 18,907
How can a Chord DAC need time to warm up? There is a processor which outputs almost straight into the output. There are not load components that need warming up. There is no power amplification that needs warming up. I think there are only three components on the back end of the TT2.

Audiophile magic don't you know? </sarcasm>

Jul 21, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #6,055 of 18,907

Your sacd player, you could of saved £1800 and bought a playstation 3 instead, as that has a sacd player built in along with a few other goodies. The original 60GB fat ps3 version was very good value for £350. The ps4 does not have all those goodies built in :frowning2:

Jul 21, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #6,056 of 18,907
I am not sure, and am only thinking aloud.

I remember once before we were talking about burn in with Mojo. Rob mentioned how some components do need burn in time, but they were not in the Mojo. Not sure there is much in the analogue parts of the other DACs; I can't say though.

As for warming up, I never notice any warm up time on my Chord DACs. No idea if I am just not hearing it. All my audio gear goes off for safety's sake, and save electricity and 'greenhouse gasses'. Personally I think that is the right thing to do. Occaisionally my Chord get left on.

Jul 21, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #6,057 of 18,907
Not specifically for chord dacs,it is true for all electronic equipments. Also there are other equipments too in the chain besides DAC.

Jul 21, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #6,058 of 18,907
I purchased a device to read power being supplied by cable I made. As in photo all good. It appears my A&K SR15 only works connected to a OTG cable but CAN'T charge on one!

Are there any portable DAP that have separate (2 ports) for data and power?
20190720_215440.jpg
20190720_214309.jpg

Jul 21, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #6,059 of 18,907
Not specifically for chord dacs,it is true for all electronic equipments. Also there are other equipments too in the chain besides DAC.
Here’s a white paper on that

https://www.audiostream.com/content...l-devices-and-proper-warm-ideal-listening-and

“Listening to a cold digital device (any DAC that has been unplugged for one hour or more) will significantly shortchange the experience and negatively impact the desired outcome. However, a 24-hour warm-up period can – and most often will – significantly improve DAC performance.”

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #6,060 of 18,907
My TT2 is coming next week (upgrading from a TT). Will be driven by Roon via USB from iMac. I am debating whether to add a network server such as the microRendu as a proper Roon endpoint. Does anyone have experience of that combination?
The microRendu was very well reviewed a few years ago but I have since come across a few posts saying the sound can be unstable. And there may be newer designs today that I have not seen.
Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back