Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 7, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #5,731 of 18,905
Yeah, I hear ya with regards to your pc, mines is the same, in winter its ok to turn the fans down and make it near enough silent, but in summer time, it's far too noisy to have it on, especially in the spare room, as it gets the sun for 11 hours aday in summertime.

I've been wanting to migrate away from my pc to a totally silent device that can be left on 24/7/365 and a noiseless roon core would be nice, but I would easily settle for something that has chromecast, airplay, digital out at a minimum of 24/192, I would prefer 32/768 but thats not really a must. Aslong as I can stream qobuz, tidal and my own stuff thats on hard drives, I would settle for that, but no way am I going to pay thousands for one, as that really is taking the piss.

I dunno, it seems that unless I pay big bucks, I am left with diy solutions, and to be honest, I can't be arsed with all the hassle that entails, hence why I would rather have something that just works out of the box. I have an old x58 setup that is in pieces, I could rebuild it and stick roon on it and put it in a cupboard downstairs and either lay some cat 7 or get an ac wifi card, but the mere thought of having to piss about with that puts me right off, the days where building pc's and tweaking them was fun, are long gone.

Maybe a mac is the way to go ? argh I hate not knowing what to spend my money on :frowning2:

One thing that I know is a great buy, for sennheiser hd800/800S/820, a set of lambskin leather misodiko pads, they are the exact same size as the stock pads, excellent quality and they do not alter the sound. £36 from amazon, and they are one of the best buys I have had for a while.

I have my Roon Core running on an iMac. Works great!

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #5,732 of 18,905

Is your imac totally silent or does it have noisy fans ?

As I avoided laptops because of their noisy fans when underload. But maybe they have moved on to passive cooling only ?

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #5,733 of 18,905
Go for a i7 used mac mini much much cheaper same result.

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #5,734 of 18,905
Is your imac totally silent or does it have noisy fans ?

As I avoided laptops because of their noisy fans when underload. But maybe they have moved on to passive cooling only ?
My 2017 iMac 5k does have a fan that will kick on when the cpu has a good load on it. It’s fairly quiet when it does kick in, but I seldom notice the fan running. Now my MacBook Pro is a different story. You know it when it’s fans kick in.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #5,735 of 18,905
I have optical out from my imac roon core to mscaler. 512gb ssd//i5 quad//8gb ram//nvidia graphics//27 ultra hi def screen. Roon monster no fan noise at all. Very little cpu use when surfing//playing roon maybe just 5%.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #5,736 of 18,905
I have optical out from my imac roon core to mscaler. 512gb ssd//i5 quad//8gb ram//nvidia graphics//27 ultra hi def screen. Roon monster no fan noise at all. Very little cpu use when surfing//playing roon maybe just 5%.

That optical out on your imac is getting as much attention as @Whazzzup 's Antipodes.

Jun 7, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #5,737 of 18,905
I don't follow?

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #5,738 of 18,905
Question for Rob W if possible or anyone else if this has been addressed before. If I were to have two loudspeaker based systems running off a mscaler TT2 combo can I have the rca outs (feeding one system) and then have the xlr outs simultaneously connected for a longer run (6 metres approx) to the second system in an adjacent room.

Will there be any sound quality issues if they are both always connected but with only one set of outputs actually being utilised at any time.... also while I am very unlikely to drive both at the same time but if I ever did happen to do this would this present a sound quality issue or any problems at all?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Graham

Sure you may run it like that.

It might have an impact on SQ - tiny things can make a difference - but is probably in the too small to worry about category. Give it a try, and see if you can hear a difference when unplugging; if you can't then do not worry about it.

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #5,739 of 18,905
Sure you may run it like that.

It might have an impact on SQ - tiny things can make a difference - but is probably in the too small to worry about category. Give it a try, and see if you can hear a difference when unplugging; if you can't then do not worry about it.
Thanks Rob. Will be setting it up down the track and would need to get a long run of xlr ics made up first. Just mainly checking that it isn’t a problem from a standpoint of causing an issue for the TT2 as well.

Jun 8, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #5,740 of 18,905
Just to be clear there is benefit to a dedicated server like antipodes, granted expensive, versus roon core on an iMac. I have both and switched cores to a/b. You defiantly get what you pay for, but the roon core on an iMac is way better than iTunes on an iMac. This is on my DX thread.

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #5,741 of 18,905
I received my TT2 on Wednesday. I swapped it for a TT, which had been operating at a half-million taps via a single BNC from the HMS. With the TT2 came the switch to dual-BNC and a million taps.

Tremendous upgrade. I’m still blown away by how big of a step change this was. The TT has actually replaced a Mojo. This was a much bigger step change than that. I couldn’t be happier. Thanks Chord!

226FDBB6-8233-4EC9-A1DD-AAF18A60E270.jpeg

Jun 9, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #5,742 of 18,905
I received my TT2 on Wednesday. I swapped it for a TT, which had been operating at a half-million taps via a single BNC from the HMS. With the TT2 came the switch to dual-BNC and a million taps.

Tremendous upgrade. I’m still blown away by how big of a step change this was. The TT has actually replaced a Mojo. This was a much bigger step change than that. I couldn’t be happier. Thanks Chord!

I don't trust anyone whose speaker cables don't touch the floor!

Jun 9, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #5,743 of 18,905

Users who are viewing this thread

Back