Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 7, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #5,716 of 18,905
Sooo, congrats 10 g didn’t make it , lol. Enjoy the weekend. I m no diy guy. Antipodes does some other proprietary sq enhancements but yes expensive.

Yeah, I couldn't find 10g down the back of my sofa yesterday :frowning2:

I would love to own your server dude, I read up some more about it yesterday, it looks magic and is exactly what I would love to own, but 10g UK money is well and truly out of my league at the moment, even 6g for the cx and 5g for the ex model is still too rich for me.

To get a tiny part of what your server is capable of, I have to resort to ghetto modding a mini pc, I wonder how long it will take me to damage something, to then go full retard and destroy the rest of it ???

Your setup is killer dude!

:)

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #5,717 of 18,905
There was a used cx going for 2700$ on head fi yesterday. Ghetto modding tho, nuthin wrong with that.

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #5,718 of 18,905
There was a used cx going for 2700$ on head fi yesterday. Ghetto modding tho, nuthin wrong with that.

I wouldn't buy one that was in the states or canada, import taxes to here would be like a proverbial kick in the nuts, but 2700 usd is a decent price considering it's either 5.5 or 6.5 grand in the uk to buy new. But I would give serious consideration to one being sold in europe or the uk for that price.

Yup, nothing wrong with ghetto modding, so long as the ghetto mod works is the main thing.

Jun 7, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #5,719 of 18,905
It can hold all your music if you plug your music in to the usb ports or have a nas, network share or if your music is in the cloud, you can also add a second internal storage drive with your music on it, hence the 120gig ssd I have, the 128gig m2 card is for the OS roon rock.

If you have multiple terrabytes of music, a share or nas would still be the best bet, as roon on the nuc can access it, I also have music on my dropbox account, which roon can also access. Actually, I'm not sure if it can access my music on dropbox, I put my music on dropbox for another reason, but I do backup roon to dropbox.

So yes, it can have all your music on it via the various different ways.

Cheers, so many options. Sticking with Cromecast Audio for a bit longer but will follow your progress.
In fact, I yearn a little for my double Aiwa cassette deck when I made playlists by copying tape to tape, then tape to minidisc and S-VHS tape (don’t think playlist term even existed then!).

Jun 7, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #5,720 of 18,905
Cheers, so many options. Sticking with Cromecast Audio for a bit longer but will follow your progress.
In fact, I yearn a little for my double Aiwa cassette deck when I made playlists by copying tape to tape, then tape to minidisc and S-VHS tape (don’t think playlist term even existed then!).

Mix tapes for the win!

Recording songs onto cassette from the sunday charts on the radio, or as you say, making your own tapes up with the songs you liked, like an early "Now 572" album, with various artists.

I would be happy with my chromecasts, but they keep glitching out with any and all hires music. It wouldn't bug me had I not specifically joined qobuz for hires streaming.

Watch this, on monday they will have got a new firmware update and will magically work again with hires music.

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #5,721 of 18,905
It's good to hear folk are still driving speakers directly from TT2. The scare stories of burnt out resistors on the XLR paths, is frightening me. I may even sidestep direct driving speakers and eventually just go with amplifier upgrade.

I did wonder though, if they make a TT3, maybe it should have speaker post bindings. Then we can just plug speakers into the back of the TT3. There's probably a reason why that's not a good idea though. Like it might make people think you can use massive volume. Sort of by giving them the idea it's really a hifi amplifier in there. The TT3 chassy would also need to be bigger, and I think the only way to go, might be more height. Making the TT3 taller. Otherwise the TT3 would need to be wider than M-Scaler and Ttoby.

I can't remember why, but for some reason I thought maybe the TT3 should have two USB ports too. (The TT1 did.) I mean specifically if Rob ever goes USB from M-Scaler 2 to TT3. It would make for easy bypass of the M-Scaler 2 from a PC. ......… One USB cable from PC to M-Scaler 2. One USB cable from M-Scaler 2 to TT3. When not using M-Scaler 2, have another USB cable already in place from PC to TT3. (Just thinking out loud.) Probably more effort than it's worth, or folk that would use it.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #5,722 of 18,905
It's good to hear folk are still driving speakers directly from TT2. The scare stories of burnt out resistors on the XLR paths, is frightening me. I may even sidestep direct driving speakers and eventually just go with amplifier upgrade.

I did wonder though, if they make a TT3, maybe it should have speaker post bindings. Then we can just plug speakers into the back of the TT3. There's probably a reason why that's not a good idea though. Like it might make people think you can use massive volume. Sort of by giving them the idea it's really a hifi amplifier in there. The TT3 chassy would also need to be bigger, and I think the only way to go, might be more height. Making the TT3 taller. Otherwise the TT3 would need to be wider than M-Scaler and Ttoby.

I can't remember why, but for some reason I thought maybe the TT3 should have two USB ports too. (The TT1 did.) I mean specifically if Rob ever goes USB from M-Scaler 2 to TT3. It would make for easy bypass of the M-Scaler 2 from a PC. ......… One USB cable from PC to M-Scaler 2. One USB cable from M-Scaler 2 to TT3. When not using M-Scaler 2, have another USB cable already in place from PC to TT3. (Just thinking out loud.) Probably more effort than it's worth, or folk that would use it.

I was thinking about using the xlr outputs at the back of tt2 the other day, I didn't do anything about it though, as, as you say, popped resistors are enough to make me stay clear of doing such a thing. If I ever get speakers for my cave, I will get an amp, preferably a dx one, but I fear when one does come out, it will probably be marketed at the big boy end of the swimming pool, choral range or the successor of that range.

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #5,723 of 18,905
I use the xlr ports without a problem to inefficient speakers if that helps.

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #5,724 of 18,905
I thought maybe the TT3 should have two USB ports too. (The TT1 did.) I mean specifically if Rob ever goes USB from M-Scaler 2 to TT3. It would make for easy bypass of the M-Scaler 2 from a PC. ......… One USB cable from PC to M-Scaler 2. One USB cable from M-Scaler 2 to TT3. When not using M-Scaler 2, have another USB cable already in place from PC to TT3. (Just thinking out loud.) Probably more effort than it's worth, or folk that would use it.
TT3 and Mscaler2 are likely many many years away, since TT2 and Mscaler have just came out.
In fact there may never be a Mscaler2, as by then it may come intergrated in Chord dacs.
What I am expecting sometime in the next few years is Dave2 with integrated Mscaler. In fact I already started saving for it, not buying TT2 and Mscaler now.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #5,726 of 18,905
Quick question are the rca and xlr outs muted when headphones are plugged into the front TRS socket?
I believe the headphone port takes precedence, so plugging it in or out, will cause the dac to go into speaker mode or not.

Jun 7, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #5,728 of 18,905
Question for Rob W if possible or anyone else if this has been addressed before. If I were to have two loudspeaker based systems running off a mscaler TT2 combo can I have the rca outs (feeding one system) and then have the xlr outs simultaneously connected for a longer run (6 metres approx) to the second system in an adjacent room.

Will there be any sound quality issues if they are both always connected but with only one set of outputs actually being utilised at any time.... also while I am very unlikely to drive both at the same time but if I ever did happen to do this would this present a sound quality issue or any problems at all?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Graham

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #5,729 of 18,905
Just wondering if your running speakers out the back if plugging in the headphones at the front will mute the speakers?
yes, it toggles, if somethings connected to the front port, it goes into headphone mode (with associated memory of volume levels). if nothing in headphone port, it resorts to speaker mode (back ports).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back