Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 8, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #5,491 of 18,967
Easing of worry from that post Triode.

In tune with what we were discussing about the TT2 powering up when being plugged in. I spoke to Chord Electronics about this while talking to them about something else. Also I had used their website contact them system.

The first time I plugged in my TT2, it did not power up until I pressed the power button. I thought that was normal mode of operation.

However I got two suggestions from Chord:
  1. The first time I plugged in the TT2, it had no connections. (We are advised by the manual not to connect anything until we are sure TT2 is in low gain.) Meaning every other time I plugged TT2 back in, it had connections. It was suggested that TT2 powering up to check connections are all safe, before sending power to them. While at the time I thought OK, I am not sure that makes sense, but it probably does. However I checked the theory by removing connections and plugging in TT2. It powered itself up.
  2. The second idea was that when the TT2 has totally drained its capacitors, it won't power up by itself. Meaning like when mine was fresh out of the box. If it's only been a short time since TT2 was plugged in and running, then it powers up. To be clearer, it's probably easier to copy-paste the email I got from Chord. On first connection, a TT2 needs to charge the supercaps in it so won't power on. Once this is done, it will start instantly if the power is only removed for a fairly short period of time.
These graphs may help you.
capacitor-charging.gif

If you start the TT2 from new, it takes 10s to charge the supercapacitors enough to fully power the TT2.
Similarly if you switch off, it takes 10s to fully discharge the supercapacitors to near 0. This is why chord replied that if you power off, but then power back on after a fairly short period (i guess this may mean one or two seconds), there will still be enough charge/voltage to start the TT2, although it will need the power to remain on to allow the supercapacitors to recharge back to the normal full level.

Before any smart alecs post that it takes an infinite period of time to fully charge/discharge capacitors, in practice engineers use the charge levels after 5 time constants.

May 8, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #5,492 of 18,967
@miketlse I did think capacitors could discharge fast. However the first time this all happened to me, I had left TT2 unplugged for three hours, because I had been out of home. It was the first time ever I had unplugged it. I plugged it back, and it powered itself up. (Like I say, when fresh out of the box, it did not power itself up, when plugged into mains.) I am not sure there is reason to worry overall though.

I wish I could find the thread, that someone a couple of pages back told me about. A thread on Head-Fi about this. I can't even find a thread about this with google. Doesn't matter though. Since everyone says theirs are the same, then there's probably no need to worry. (I guess I just wanted to see what folk had been thinking, in that thread.)

Thanks for the info on super-cap charging times. Nice.

EDIT super-caps hold a lot of charge though.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #5,493 of 18,967
Are we still talking about batteries, caps and super caps.

Plug TT2 in at the wall, juice it up and then leave TT2 in standby mode for the rest of it's life.

Standby mode would be the red button on the remote or the third silver ball bearing from the left on the front of TT2.

Mines has been in standby mode since last year and both it and the mscaler are doing just fine.

May 8, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #5,494 of 18,967
Are we still talking about batteries, caps and super caps.

Plug TT2 in at the wall, juice it up and then leave TT2 in standby mode for the rest of it's life.

Standby mode would be the red button on the remote or the third silver ball bearing from the left on the front of TT2.

Mines has been in standby mode since last year and both it and the mscaler are doing just fine.
I could be imagining it but I think it also sounds better after being played for a few hours.

May 9, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #5,496 of 18,967
Mine fiiiiinally turned up, so now a fully paid-up member of the TT2 club. Also means that my desktop rig is done.

First song through was FKA twigs' 'Cellophane'. Holy hell that sounded good.

Big thumbs up on your FKA twigs choice

May 9, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #5,497 of 18,967
Mine fiiiiinally turned up, so now a fully paid-up member of the TT2 club. Also means that my desktop rig is done.

First song through was FKA twigs' 'Cellophane'. Holy hell that sounded good.
Play something with big cymbal action !

May 9, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #5,498 of 18,967
@miketlse I did think capacitors could discharge fast. However the first time this all happened to me, I had left TT2 unplugged for three hours, because I had been out of home. It was the first time ever I had unplugged it. I plugged it back, and it powered itself up. (Like I say, when fresh out of the box, it did not power itself up, when plugged into mains.) I am not sure there is reason to worry overall though.

I wish I could find the thread, that someone a couple of pages back told me about. A thread on Head-Fi about this. I can't even find a thread about this with google. Doesn't matter though. Since everyone says theirs are the same, then there's probably no need to worry. (I guess I just wanted to see what folk had been thinking, in that thread.)

Thanks for the info on super-cap charging times. Nice.

EDIT super-caps hold a lot of charge though.

My apologies GreenBow if you have been searching fruitlessly for a thread. My terminology was incorrect. It was a discussion several weeks ago, within this thread.

May 9, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #5,499 of 18,967
My apologies GreenBow if you have been searching fruitlessly for a thread. My terminology was incorrect. It was a discussion several weeks ago, within this thread.

No worries. I just ran quick search on head-fi, and found it mentioned. All's good.

I ran searches before, but was putting in too many factors, and saw only my own posts.

May 9, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #5,500 of 18,967
Hopefully there are a few Roon users here who might be able to answer a quick question about Roon and Chord TT2 or any of the Chord dacs when using as them as end point for Roon.

I have been wondering if when selecting a Chord dac as an end point from the roon control app does this wake the dac from sleep/standby and if so will it wake in the last mode the dac was in or if it does wake does it always wake in some default mode.

More specifically I'm wondering if the TT2 would be able wake from standby (having been put in standby/sleep mode while amp mode was selected) into amp mode again on wake up when selected from the roon control app?

Any feed back would be very welcome

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #5,501 of 18,967
Hopefully there are a few Roon users here who might be able to answer a quick question about Roon and Chord TT2 or any of the Chord dacs when using as them as end point for Roon.

I have been wondering if when selecting a Chord dac as an end point from the roon control app does this wake the dac from sleep/standby and if so will it wake in the last mode the dac was in or if it does wake does it always wake in some default mode.

More specifically I'm wondering if the TT2 would be able wake from standby (having been put in standby/sleep mode while amp mode was selected) into amp mode again on wake up when selected from the roon control app?

Any feed back would be very welcome

I have roon and the TT2. It does not wake up with a stream from Roon. You need to use the remote.

May 9, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #5,502 of 18,967
Please can someone tell me what the DX coaxial outputs on the TT2 are for. I thought they are for an upcoming digital amplifier.

I'd like to test them to make sure they are working fine. However I have no idea how to.

May 10, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #5,505 of 18,967
Pete Tong, The Heritage Orchestra, conducted by Jules Buckley. Ibiza Classics. A new show for 2019. Roon/tidal.

upload_2019-5-10_6-47-3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back