Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 5, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #5,461 of 18,907
You are misunderstanding that google statement.
Supercapacitors and batteries are both solutions to the functional requirement 'provide a means to store electrical energy', but they are not the same thing.
In the same manner, cars and cart & horses are both solutions to the functional requirement 'provide a means to travel from point A to point B', but they are not the same thing.
Broadening definitions and misusing those definitions, is the tactic used by snake oil salesmen, to persuade unknowing punters to part with their money.
Time to move on.
Agreed, let’s stop splitting hairs on battery definitions.

May 5, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #5,462 of 18,907
Do you think the TT2 sounds thicker and fatter than Mojo? Sometimes I like Mojo's weight and fullness but other times it can suffer with recordings that don't have much treble air, it can sound smothered and overly warm. This doesn't happen at all on the Hugo2 though.

That's a difficult question to try to answer. However the short answer is, the TT2 doesn't smother or sound over warm. I am not trying not to answer you. I actually keep writing stuff, but then deleting it. I do however remember thinking exactly the same as you before I bought the TT2. I was worried the TT2 sound signature might be too heavy, since I loved my Hugo 2. I also feel I may have exhausted what there is to say too. Like I have already said, quote, "(TT2) More transparent, even though the sound signature is richer than Hugo 2."

(The TT2 gives me a vague idea of how the M-Scaler might sound. Or I think I hear more, what the music must have sounded like in the recording studio. Whereas I struggled to imagine the M-Scaler, when I was using Hugo 2. That sounds like a put down of the Hugo 2 though, but it's not. The Hugo 2 is astounding.)

The TT2 is too resolute to sound clouded, with anything that I have listened to so far. (Or in my estimation anything.) To me the TT2 sounds only naturally warm, the same as I found the Hugo 2. Anyway, I just listened again to Norah Jones -The Fall, because it doesn't have lots of cymbals work. You hear further into the music, with TT2 over Hugo 2. I think remembering that the TT2 is more transparent than the Hugo 2, is the key.

For anyone wondering what music from the Norah Jones - The Fall album sounds like, here's Young Blood. (Excellent track.) Excerpt from the lyrics, "Gun down werewolves wherever we go".

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #5,463 of 18,907
I'm going to check out/Borrow a Qutest and Hugo 2 TT next week. Have a few of you here bought the Qutest only to jump to the Hugo 2 TT shortly thereafter? Was it because of the SQ or amp?

May 6, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #5,464 of 18,907
I'm going to check out/Borrow a Qutest and Hugo 2 TT next week. Have a few of you here bought the Qutest only to jump to the Hugo 2 TT shortly thereafter? Was it because of the SQ or amp?

I had a chance to demo them side by side once and they both sounded amazing but the TT2 was clearly a cut above. And I say this as someone who adores my Qutest.

I looks forward to hearing your thoughts.

May 6, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #5,465 of 18,907
I had a chance to demo them side by side once and they both sounded amazing but the TT2 was clearly a cut above. And I say this as someone who adores my Qutest.

I looks forward to hearing your thoughts.
I had both but didn't get a chance to audition side by side. They sound different, but I think in my case it was increased due to coloring by my tube amp.

May 6, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #5,466 of 18,907
Is anyone else experiencing this?

Whenever I play my first track after being powered off it's very distorted and decoded incorrectly. When I skip to next track it's fine. I get same results regardless of it's my Synology NAS or my phone.

May 7, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #5,467 of 18,907
The mscaler+dac sounds absolutely not like any chord or other dac i have ever heard. Think mastertape. Think female vocals are talking to you live in the room vs a uniform response. You hear the real voice totally unmasked.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #5,468 of 18,907

Whenever I play my first track after being powered off it's very distorted and decoded incorrectly. When I skip to next track it's fine. I get same results regardless of it's my Synology NAS or my phone.

I don't understand what you mean.

By the way, did you intentionally rename Hugo TT2 as Hugh TT2 in your profile. (Haha, just asking.)

May 7, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #5,469 of 18,907

I occasionally get it with Blu2dave. It is almost as if the dac has not properly locked onto the digital signal. It is rare so I just ignore it. The solution is maybe not to power off the TT2? I leave my TT2 powered on 24/7.

May 7, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #5,470 of 18,907
I occasionally get it with Blu2dave. It is almost as if the dac has not properly locked onto the digital signal. It is rare so I just ignore it. The solution is maybe not to power off the TT2? I leave my TT2 powered on 24/7.

I was reading about something about leaving devices plugged in. Fire service advice is, do not leave anything attached to mains electricity unless you have to, like a fridge. I don't know, I suppose Chord DACs might fit that category.

However, I have a question about powering on. If I have ever unplugged my TT2, when I plug it back in, it powers up. Yet it did not do that when brand new. I clearly remember starting the TT2 by the power button. It was quite the experience. I haven't used an inappropriate linear power supply, as I do not have any.

I am worried about electrical safety in the TT2. Maybe a power surge etc, if I plug it in. Plus as far as I recall, its behaviour has changed.

Finally worked out what you mean. No mine has not done that so far. Are you letting it fully start up?

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #5,471 of 18,907
I was reading about something about leaving devices plugged in. Fire service advice is, do not leave anything attached to mains electricity unless you have to, like a fridge. I don't know, I suppose Chord DACs might fit that category.

However, I have a question about powering on. If I have ever unplugged my TT2, when I plug it back in, it powers up. Yet it did not do that when brand new. I clearly remember starting the TT2 by the power button. It was quite the experience. I haven't used an inappropriate linear power supply, as I do not have any.

I am worried about electrical safety in the TT2. Maybe a power surge etc, if I plug it in. Plus as far as I recall, its behaviour has changed.

Finally worked out what you mean. No mine has not done that so far.

There has been a thread on the subject of the tt2 powering up after being switched on from the mains. Mine has always done it, along with others who contributed to that thread.

May 7, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #5,472 of 18,907
There has been a thread on the subject of the tt2 powering up after being switched on from the mains. Mine has always done it, along with others who contributed to that thread.

Am searching for the thread, but thanks for super swift reply, because I have been apprehensive. Do you have the thread please?

I do remember however mine was powered on by the power switch when I first used it. I plugged everything apart from RCA connecting to amplifier, as manual tells us. (To make sure it's in low gain mode.) I recall powering on by the button, because I was conscious of the buttons because of another question. My three ball-bearing buttons rattle and I asked about that, before I Used TT2. Anyway, I remember the first time I switched it on because of that, and because it was all new feeling. It was a good moment.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #5,473 of 18,907

Am searching for the thread, but thanks for super swift reply, because I have been apprehensive. Do you have the thread please?

I do remember however mine was powered on by the power switch when I first used it. I plugged everything apart from RCA connecting to amplifier, as manual tells us. (To make sure it's in low gain mode.) I recall powering on by the button, because I was conscious of the buttons because of another question. My three ball-bearing buttons rattle and I asked about that, before I Used TT2. Anyway, I remember the first time I switched it on because of that, and because it was all new feeling. It was a good moment.

I can't find a thread about this. Would like to read what folk have said. Can't get a result on google either.

May 7, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #5,474 of 18,907

If you unplug it and then press the power button again, it will drain any residual charge remains in the unit. Then, when you plug it back in, you will have to press the power button to power the unit up.

If however you just unplug it, plugging it back in will power it up automatically.

May 7, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #5,475 of 18,907
If you unplug it and then press the power button again, it will drain any residual charge remains in the unit. Then, when you plug it back in, you will have to press the power button to power the unit up.

If however you just unplug it, plugging it back in will power it up automatically.

I actually have done that. However mine powers up no matter what, when plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back