Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #3,481 of 18,907
Well, I've decided to keep the silver TT2. My dealer apologised profusely and offered me a bit of a discount for my troubles and the long unnecessary wait. At the end of the day, although I would have preferred black, the silver hardly looks bad, and they sound the same :)

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #3,482 of 18,907
Are you sure? :wink:

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #3,483 of 18,907
Well, I've decided to keep the silver TT2. My dealer apologised profusely and offered me a bit of a discount for my troubles and the long unnecessary wait. At the end of the day, although I would have preferred black, the silver hardly looks bad, and they sound the same :)

Dude, I’m 100% serious on this.

Open it carefully and then seperate the metal case from the mainboard and then get someone to powder coat the two halves.

Powder coat will put a beautiful protective coat of paint over it. Do not use those rattle paint cans that are used in the car industry.

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #3,485 of 18,907
But seriously i wonder in hot weather if black absorbs heat and silver radiates it. should do if i remember physics when i was at school. radiation/convection.

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #3,486 of 18,907
But seriously i wonder in hot weather if black absorbs heat and silver radiates it. should do if i remember physics when i was at school. radiation/convection.

It would if it was in the sun. If not in the sun I doubt it would make any difference between silver or black. But where I live I don’t get the sun, so it might be different in sunny places.

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #3,487 of 18,907
After having a few days to get used to the combo, I couldn’t give it up now. And atleast I know it’s future proofed since it has more power than dave to drive difficult headphones, susvara etc.

I started off as usb on the mscaler but I have now jumped on over to optical and it may be placebo, but I think optical is the way to go.

From my xonar sound card spdif port @ 192khz

I even watched some tv and a movie and normally I would not watch tv with headphones on, but holy schiit it sounded magic.

Tt2 is cheaper and you already have the mscaler, i would just grab tt2, you will love it as it’s much more than hugo2, combined with the mscaler its something that will last years.

I would like to say that its both products combined that make it great.

Re TT2 vs Dave, my opinion is that it depends on the headphones you intend to use. I have owned the Utopia's for over a year now (with Danacable Lazuli Reference) and I am still very happy with them, from a sound perspective first but also from a build quality, design and comfort perspective. Over the last year I have auditioned many headphones hoping to find one that satisfied my upgraditis and bumped the Utopia, such as the Susvara, and Abyss Phi + others. I used my Hugo 2 as source for all demo's with the ifi ican pro and Moon 430 amps for the Susvara and Phi. My preference from a pure sonic perspective would be that the Phi slightly beat the Utopia, and the Utopia was better (imo) that the Susvara (from those amps). The comfort of the Phi just can't compete with the other 2, the build quality of the Susvara just doesn't feel in the same league as the other 2. I also feel that the efficiency of the Utopia is great in that I can enjoy it directly from the H2.

So I recently demo'd the following on the same day (for a good 3+ hours) - H2 solo (which I own), TT2, H2+HMS, Dave, Blu II+ Dave. I had previously demo'd the Dave on 3 occasions (with Utopia) and was blown away each time. I was hoping I would be just as impressed with the TT2 demo. I felt the TT2 was a significant improvement over the H2, with the primary feature being a far greater soundstage (which is the main issue with the Utopia). I was unfortunately not blown away by the TT2 (I would have bought it there and then if I was), I just felt personally that it was not a big enough jump to warrant the cost from H2 with the Utopia. I did demo the TT2 with the Susvara and it was very good with excellent realism, far better than Utopia with TT2. If I was going to get the TT2 I would look to acquire a Susvara soon after. Unfortunately they did not have a HMS for me to connect with the TT2. I then went to a different store and demo'd my H2 with the M Scaler, and wow. Where my Dave demo's blew me away in regards to technical attributes the H2+HMS really really connected me with the music and took away any harshness the H2 can have at times. I then demo'd the Dave again (with Utopia) - yep, sounds super impressive technically, outstanding - soundstage, immersion, separation, depth of sound. I then tried the Dave + Blue II - the best of both worlds - the technicalities of the Dave and the musicality of the HMS/Blu II.

So I have ordered a black Dave and black HMS and now wait impatiently.

A fellow head-fier I trust is going the HMS+TT2 route as he loves the Susvara (after having Dave + Blu II + various top end amps), as he is keen to streamline and downsize on cost. I think he will be very happy as the TT2 is a beast for hungry cans. For me though being a Utopia guy (with interest in the Empyrean's) I think the Dave+HMS is the better choice.

also - from my relatively brief demo I would take the H2+M Scaler over the Dave solo.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #3,488 of 18,907
As a h2/hms owner that makes great reading. Good luck with your new hifi nogi.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #3,489 of 18,907
Re TT2 vs Dave, my opinion is that it depends on the headphones you intend to use. I have owned the Utopia's for over a year now (with Danacable Lazuli Reference) and I am still very happy with them, from a sound perspective first but also from a build quality, design and comfort perspective. Over the last year I have auditioned many headphones hoping to find one that satisfied my upgraditis and bumped the Utopia, such as the Susvara, and Abyss Phi + others. I used my Hugo 2 as source for all demo's with the ifi ican pro and Moon 430 amps for the Susvara and Phi. My preference from a pure sonic perspective would be that the Phi slightly beat the Utopia, and the Utopia was better (imo) that the Susvara (from those amps). The comfort of the Phi just can't compete with the other 2, the build quality of the Susvara just doesn't feel in the same league as the other 2. I also feel that the efficiency of the Utopia is great in that I can enjoy it directly from the H2.

So I recently demo'd the following on the same day (for a good 3+ hours) - H2 solo (which I own), TT2, H2+HMS, Dave, Blu II+ Dave. I had previously demo'd the Dave on 3 occasions (with Utopia) and was blown away each time. I was hoping I would be just as impressed with the TT2 demo. I felt the TT2 was a significant improvement over the HMS, with the primary feature being a far greater soundstage (which is the main issue with the Utopia). I was unfortunately not blown away by the TT2 (I would have bought it there and then if I was), I just felt personally that it was not a big enough jump to warrant the cost from H2 with the Utopia. I did demo the TT2 with the Susvara and it was very good with excellent realism, far better than Utopia with TT2. If I was going to get the TT2 I would look to acquire a Susvara soon after. Unfortunately they did not have a HMS for me to connect with the TT2. I then went to a different store and demo'd my H2 with the M Scaler, and wow. Where my Dave demo's blew me away in regards to technical attributes the H2+HMS really really connected me with the music and took away any harshness the H2 can have at times. I then demo'd the Dave again (with Utopia) - yep, sounds super impressive technically, outstanding - soundstage, immersion, separation, depth of sound. I then tried the Dave + Blue II - the best of both worlds - the technicalities of the Dave and the musicality of the HMS/Blu II.

So I have ordered a black Dave and black HMS and now wait impatiently.

A fellow head-fier I trust is going the HMS+TT2 route as he loves the Susvara (after having Dave + Blu II + various top end amps), as he is keen to streamline and downsize on cost. I think he will be very happy as the TT2 is a beast for hungry cans. For me though being a Utopia guy (with interest in the Empyrean's) I think the Dave+HMS is the better choice.

also - from my relatively brief demo I would take the H2+M Scaler over the Dave solo.

I think the dave or tt2+hms question is hard to answer.

Clearly Dave is the one with superior performance in most respects, in a dave v TT2 scenario.

However, those that have heard a dave, or own a dave, they are the ones who seem to not be “blown away” with TT2. Others who haven’t heard a dave or have, but can only afford a TT2, they think that TT2 is great.

I note that you could not demo TT2+HMS together, I think if you had, you might of thought differently and possibly helped you decide what to buy. I have H2 also, but I think the TT2 allows more room for the mscaler to breathe and shine. I get everything H2 and HMS had, but much much more.

I don’t get to demo anything at home but, TT2 with Robs MScaler is the best sound quality that I have ever heard. It really is that good, plus it is somewhat futureproofed because of the extra power thats available for driving hard to drive headphones. If the hard to drive headphone trend continues, dave could possibly need an amp in the loop in the not to distant future.

If you thought H2+HMS was great, with TT2 it’s MUCH better. I much prefer the TT2+HMS sound compared to the bright H2+HMS sound. That’s solely due to H2 and not HMS. The brightness of H2 helps with small details, but, TT2 in my opinion has a more organic sound compared to H2.

If you can, try and see if you can demo TT2+HMS, as you might be able to save yourself thousands, as the mscaler takes TT2’s sound and makes it extremely good.

I can’t express myself more strongly when I say this but, it’s not just TT2 on it’s own that makes it sound great, it’s them both combined. They compliment each other and the end result is amazing. The mscaler on TT2 cannot be compared to H2+HMS, as when it’s connected to TT2 it’s in a totally different league altogether.

Personally, I would of waited until I could of demo’d TT2+HMS, as Dave will always be there to buy if I/you didn’t like.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #3,490 of 18,907
I see your point Amberlamps, however having heard Dave + Blu II, which essentially gave me tingles I am very happy with my decision. Every time I have heard Dave by itself it has left an impact on me, TT2 did not. I expect the gains of adding an M Scaler to both DAC's is relative.

In regards to future proofing for the trend of hard to drive headphones, I think BOTH efficient (Utopia, Empyrean, Ether 2, HE1000SE, D8000) and less efficient (Phi, Susvara) cans will continue to be released as TOTL's.

If you love the Phi or Susvara then I would recommend the TT2 over the Dave (unless you have unlimited money and space). I imagine TT2 has far more utility with speakers also over the Dave, but I don't know anything about speakers and have two little kids and a wife so there will be no speakers in my house for quite some time.

I think the most important factor you raise is budget. The Dave is a lot more expensive than TT2 obviously, so it is not a fair comparison in that regard. The TT2 is a hell of a device and for those that can't stretch the budget to the Dave then it is a great choice. I was just a bit fortunate recently that I had a couple of somewhat unexpected financial turns go my way (don't worry no one died) so figured I would indulge in the Chord deep end as a nice end of year present to myself.

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #3,491 of 18,907
I see your point Amberlamps, however having heard Dave + Blu II, which essentially gave me tingles I am very happy with my decision. Every time I have heard Dave by itself it has left an impact on me, TT2 did not. I expect the gains of adding an M Scaler to both DAC's is relative.

In regards to future proofing for the trend of hard to drive headphones, I think BOTH efficient (Utopia, Empyrean, Ether 2, HE1000SE, D8000) and less efficient (Phi, Susvara) cans will continue to be released as TOTL's.

If you love the Phi or Susvara then I would recommend the TT2 over the Dave (unless you have unlimited money and space). I imagine TT2 has far more utility with speakers also over the Dave, but I don't know anything about speakers and have two little kids and a wife so there will be no speakers in my house for quite some time.

I think the most important factor you raise is budget. The Dave is a lot more expensive than TT2 obviously, so it is not a fair comparison in that regard. The TT2 is a hell of a device and for those that can't stretch the budget to the Dave then it is a great choice. I was just a bit fortunate recently that I had a couple of somewhat unexpected financial turns go my way (don't worry no one died) so figured I would indulge in the Chord deep end as a nice end of year present to myself.

It’s cool, different strokes for different folks, my stroke just happen’s to be tt2 and hms but, at first I wasn’t going to buy tt2, as I had H2 and was just going to use that, but after eveything I’ve read, I had to grab one.

These have been the best two purchases that I have made for a few years, and I’m extremely happy that I bought them, even though the cost was basically the same as a new dave.

I would do it all again today and I wouldn’t change a thing.

I hope you love your new kit the same as I do mine.

:wink:

Dec 18, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #3,493 of 18,907
If we all could be Dave owners. I’m putting in a new kitchen, well paying for a company to install a new kitchen, and a new car last year so. Still travelling tho, so you pick your spots. I haven’t heard anything yet tt2 or mscaler but from my experience source matters and should be first choice. It will make ones dac sound better and be amazed at what that dac had that you didn’t know about. I’m stuck with no where to go except Dave or to some other manufacturer. But don’t frown, tt sounds pretty good but no, no plans to even listen to Dave.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #3,494 of 18,907
Does the tt2 sound fuller and less hash compared to the h2?

Yup, it’s so much better than H2. But that’s to be expected, the first TT did the same with the original Hugo.

H2 is good, actually, for it’s size and what it was designed for, it’s pretty amazing that they got all that in such a small footprint. And 2go will then make it a complete all rounder.

Compared to TT2, no contest, it’s got more balls and a warmer sound and, combined with Robs excellent MScaler, words can’t describe how good it sounds.

If we all could be Dave owners. I’m putting in a new kitchen, well paying for a company to install a new kitchen, and a new car last year so. Still travelling tho, so you pick your spots. I haven’t heard anything yet tt2 or mscaler but from my experience source matters and should be first choice. It will make ones dac sound better and be amazed at what that dac had that you didn’t know about. I’m stuck with no where to go except Dave or to some other manufacturer. But don’t frown, tt sounds pretty good but no, no plans to even listen to Dave.

Why dave ?

I know you have the original TT, why not jump up to TT2 and HMS ? Or buy TT2 and get HMS at a later date.

Next step for me is a server. Maybe I go big and Raspberry Pi it :)

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #3,495 of 18,907
Yup, it’s so much better than H2. But that’s to be expected, the first TT did the same with the original Hugo.

H2 is good, actually, for it’s size and what it was designed for, it’s pretty amazing that they got all that in such a small footprint. And 2go will then make it a complete all rounder.

Compared to TT2, no contest, it’s got more balls and a warmer sound and, combined with Robs excellent MScaler, words can’t describe how good it sounds.

Why dave ?

I know you have the original TT, why not jump up to TT2 and HMS ? Or buy TT2 and get HMS at a later date.

Next step for me is a server. Maybe I go big and Raspberry Pi it :)

I got such a great deal on tt 1 the cad dollar was way stronger 3 years ago and I got a 20% discount, so it’s 50% the cost of a new tt2. Second I’m sure it’s nice but I had some difficulties substantiating ch2 upgrade from ch1 when i tested. I mean ch2 was nice but subtly, so I didn’t . I can’t say that tt2 is just the same subtle difference but I’m sure it doesn’t warrant doubling down on it. plus don’t have speakers to power so high op means nothing to me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back