Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 16, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #2,687 of 18,905
I'm thinking of upgrading my hugo 2 to the Hugo tt2 and possibly the M scaler, but because of chronic pain issues, I would be using totl IEMs with my PC at my desktop. Is this a dumb idea? I've sold off all of my headphones because the weight puts pressure on my neck and it's hard to wear them for hours on end. I'm looking into ergonomic chairs that can recline with a headrest so that maybe I could use full sized headphones without putting so much prrspres on my spine. Or is the Hugo 2 with m scaler enough for me? I have severe upgradeitis.

Hugo TT 2 is totally unnecessary for you.

I am not sure I agree with Rhamnetin.

I am only using modest priced IEMs (the AKG N40), and I clearly prefer the Hugo 2 over the Mojo. The Mojo is still brilliant but the Hugo 2 is just much better. The differences at first were not as significant as when using an amp and speakers on Mojo compared to Hugo 2. The amp/speaker differences then were clear as day. On headphones while the difference was fairly obvious, it took me a while to place why.

Some people are using the Hugo TT 2 with headphones and M-Scaler. However while IEMs don't quite do soundstage like headphones, the Hugo 2 does soundstage very well on my IEMs. It's one of the pluses over using Mojo. (Remembering that my IEMs are not TOTL.) The TT2 would improve all aspects over the Hugo 2 including soundstage, making it clearer, taller, wider. There are a few impressions that the TT2 is a big upgrade over the Hugo 2. Although no-one yet has explained in depth the improvements. (Bizarre really as the Hugo 2 thread had quite a few impressions of the Hugo 2 compared to Mojo and Hugo 1. Early days yet I guess.) The M-Scaler will only improve the TT 2 again. Or you could start by buying the M-Scaler and using it with your Hugo 2.

Have you considered using speakers on your desktop too. With the Hugo TT 2 you would not need an amplifier. With Hugo 2, I use Rega Brio and Dynaudio Emit M10 on my desktop, (with foam under the speakers.) You could of course use better equipment than that. If you had a really deep desk of maybe a metre, you could use KEF Reference 1.

Being close up to desk-mounted speakers can cause a little drop in bass. But get enough distance between speakers and you ears and you'll be fine. (If you can't get distance, maybe near field monitors instead.) Qualities to look out for are, speakers that still sing at low volumes. (Amplifier too if necessary.) Speakers that work near walls if your desk is. I have made some space behind my desk.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #2,688 of 18,905
I'm thinking of upgrading my hugo 2 to the Hugo tt2 and possibly the M scaler, but because of chronic pain issues, I would be using totl IEMs with my PC at my desktop. Is this a dumb idea? I've sold off all of my headphones because the weight puts pressure on my neck and it's hard to wear them for hours on end. I'm looking into ergonomic chairs that can recline with a headrest so that maybe I could use full sized headphones without putting so much prrspres on my spine. Or is the Hugo 2 with m scaler enough for me? I have severe upgradeitis.
The further you move up the Chord ladder, the better the sound. It's not isolated to the question of how difficult loads the DAC can drive, IMO. It is mainly about sheer sound quality. Additionally there are factors like ergonomics and pride of ownership. The latter if you are a true audiophile :wink:

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #2,689 of 18,905
what dac were you using before ?
RWAK380+amp for last 2 or 3 years - really thought it couldn't get much better. Still using the AK as transport via optical and it works very well.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #2,690 of 18,905
I am not sure I agree with Rhamnetin.

I am only using modest priced IEMs (the AKG N40), and I clearly prefer the Hugo 2 over the Mojo. The Mojo is still brilliant but the Hugo 2 is just much better. The differences at first were not as significant as when using an amp and speakers on Mojo compared to Hugo 2. The amp/speaker differences then were clear as day. On headphones while the difference was fairly obvious, it took me a while to place why.

Some people are using the Hugo TT 2 with headphones and M-Scaler. However while IEMs don't quite do soundstage like headphones, the Hugo 2 does soundstage very well on my IEMs. It's one of the pluses over using Mojo. (Remembering that my IEMs are not TOTL.) The TT2 would improve all aspects over the Hugo 2 including soundstage, making it clearer, taller, wider. There are a few impressions that the TT2 is a big upgrade over the Hugo 2. Although no-one yet has explained in depth the improvements. (Bizarre really as the Hugo 2 thread had quite a few impressions of the Hugo 2 compared to Mojo and Hugo 1. Early days yet I guess.) The M-Scaler will only improve the TT 2 again. Or you could start by buying the M-Scaler and using it with your Hugo 2.

Have you considered using speakers on your desktop too. With the Hugo TT 2 you would not need an amplifier. With Hugo 2, I use Rega Brio and Dynaudio Emit M10 on my desktop, (with foam under the speakers.) You could of course use better equipment than that. If you had a really deep desk of maybe a metre, you could use KEF Reference 1.

Being close up to desk-mounted speakers can cause a little drop in bass. But get enough distance between speakers and you ears and you'll be fine. (If you can't get distance, maybe near field monitors instead.) Qualities to look out for are, speakers that still sing at low volumes. (Amplifier too if necessary.) Speakers that work near walls if your desk is. I have made some space behind my desk.

See, the top part of your post regarding prefering hugo over mojos.

I posted that I could easily tell that I was listening to hugo 2 instead of mojo if I was blindfolded, in the rob watts dac theory thread in the sound science sub forum.

It took minutes for some dude to crawl out of his hole in the ground telling me that all dacs sound the same and that blah blah I stopped reading as I didn’t want to spoil his ego trip.

Anyway, that aside, who here has a mojo and a hugo 2 ? For those that do, who here can easily tell that they are listening to hugo instead of mojo ?

For me it’s painfully obvious, but I would like to hear what others have to say. I know this is the tt2 thread, but that can be used instead of a hugo 2, aslong as you all have a mojo and a hugo / something.

Please tell me if you can tell the difference between the two, and if you would be able to do so if you were blind folded.

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #2,691 of 18,905
Nov 16, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #2,692 of 18,905
That was your fist mistake. An easy schoolboy error to make!

Lol,

To be truthful, I was bored, and when bored...............

Phuca want’s to come out and play.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #2,693 of 18,905
The further you move up the Chord ladder, the better the sound. It's not isolated to the question of how difficult loads the DAC can drive, IMO. It is mainly about sheer sound quality. Additionally there are factors like ergonomics and pride of ownership. The latter if you are a true audiophile :wink:
I agree on this and I'll be trying my flare pro through my hugo TT 2 sometime this weekend

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #2,694 of 18,905
Lol,

To be truthful, I was bored, and when bored...............

Phuca want’s to come out and play.

Sorry Bro but you were such a big Phuca that nobody wanted to play with you! :deadhorse:

tenor.gif

Nov 16, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #2,695 of 18,905
Anyway, that aside, who here has a mojo and a hugo 2 ? For those that do, who here can easily tell that they are listening to hugo instead of mojo ?

For me it’s painfully obvious, but I would like to hear what others have to say. I know this is the tt2 thread, but that can be used instead of a hugo 2, aslong as you all have a mojo and a hugo / something.

Please tell me if you can tell the difference between the two, and if you would be able to do so if you were blind folded.

I own a Mojo & a Hugo 2. The difference between the 2 are stark to me. For one the tuning is completely different. Mojo is mid lush, Hugo 2 is more or less neutral with deep extensions at both end. Resolution wise Hugo 2>>Mojo, I can hear textures and nuances of each note far better on H2. Speed, imaging and soundstage are all better on H2. And of course it (h2) seems to have more raw power as well.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #2,696 of 18,905
Sorry Bro but you were such a big Phuca that nobody wanted to play with you! :deadhorse:

tenor.gif

Phuca doesn’t need anybody to play with, he is quite content playing with himself.

As can be seen in the video.

Fatboy is rocking along to a pair of adidas allstars, What, somebody cut his feet off so he can’t ruin them for everyone else.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #2,700 of 18,905
I am using the AK 320 but i use the USB out from the AK. I notice a bit more clarity in the highs. Not much but there is a difference.
I didn't know you could use the USB as an output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back