Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 19, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #1,171 of 18,905
Unfortunately the no battery issue with the Hugo TT2 looks like a deal breaker to me. In my experience battery operation has a sound with considerably lower noise floor and is considerably clearer, more lucid. I think the lack of noise from AC and ground connections is one of the major reasons for the superlative sound of the Hugo 2 and the Mojo. In operation while being fed by a battery powered tablet these DAC/amplifiers and connected headphones are isolated from this noise (primarily EMI and distortion riding on AC), that inevitably contaminates AC and also ground. The only way this could be ameliorated is with very expensive and elaborate AC filtering/regeneration and dedicated earth grounding with a long copper spike, etc.

Very high frequency EMI on AC and neutral can bypass any amount of filtering, supercapacitors, etc. However, if the AC power supply of the Hugo TT2 is truly and completely electrically isolated from the active signal circuits, then maybe that would work. In practice it probably is a set of engineering tradeoffs determining whether very sophisticated and advanced AC operation will be better or even as good as full battery operation.

I wondered about this.

However as someone already said with the Hugo 2. It's hard to discern any difference of when the charger is in or not. .... I do remember a post on the Mojo thread that Rob said the battery somehow negated noise, when plugged in.

The Hugo 2 apparently though has some good filtering and noise reduction. I think Rob even told us we don't need something like the Jitterbug with the Hugo2. Whereas it made a difference with the Mojo.

Another aspect though, that I was considering, is that the power supplied to these DACs is not like power to regular hifi. It's in low voltage and already in DC source. Whereas most hifi components have larger voltage and AC components within the device.

I think overall the test will be in the reviews. The Hugo TT 2, will either shine in reviews as a solid all round DAC. Or not. If there was a lot of noise, leaking into the DAC, then I suspect if might not do so well in reviews. Isn't that sort of noise measurable also?

We could of course buy a linear power supply.. Although I have seen that idea put down by Rob. I keep meaning to search why again.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,172 of 18,905
Is anyone else in a similar place to me?

Wondering whether to upgrade their amplifier, or wait to see if the Hugo TT 2 will drive their speakers.
Thinking in terms of any new speakers that must be more sensitive.
Unable to choose some speaker cable, because of not knowing what might be needed for a Hugo TT 2.
  • buying pre-terminated speaker cables might mean it's hard to buy an adapter to connect to the Hugo TT 2
  • buying speaker cable terminated at one end, means a 6mm jack could be connected to the open end of the speaker cables
  • is it possible to wire speakers to the balanced output of a Hugo TT 2?

In other words stuck. (Not a bad place to be stuck though.) :face_palm:

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #1,175 of 18,905
I wondered about this.

However as someone already said with the Hugo 2. It's hard to discern any difference of when the charger is in or not. .... I do remember a post on the Mojo thread that Rob said the battery somehow negated noise, when plugged in.

The Hugo 2 apparently though has some good filtering and noise reduction. I think Rob even told us we don't need something like the Jitterbug with the Hugo2. Whereas it made a difference with the Mojo.

Another aspect though, that I was considering, is that the power supplied to these DACs is not like power to regular hifi. It's in low voltage and already in DC source. Whereas most hifi components have larger voltage and AC components within the device.

I think overall the test will be in the reviews. The Hugo TT 2, will either shine in reviews as a solid all round DAC. Or not. If there was a lot of noise, leaking into the DAC, then I suspect if might not do so well in reviews. Isn't that sort of noise measurable also?

We could of course buy a linear power supply.. Although I have seen that idea put down by Rob. I keep meaning to search why again.

I remember watching a video that showed how AC and DC can be on the same wire. Noise travels the same way correct?

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #1,177 of 18,905
Deleted

Attachments

• Setup.jpg
    Setup.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #1,178 of 18,905
38B45409-828D-4788-8A07-3CABB90D97A3.jpeg 099BE369-08D2-40AF-9FA1-5F358312DBD2.jpeg 369E1FC5-DD31-473E-8BFD-B48E647BE836.jpeg

Queue at the TT already!

Jul 21, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #1,181 of 18,905
Oh that M scaler looks nice. Eager for the TT 2 impressions. TT 2 is my next purchase (if it is a significant sonic improvement on the Hugo 2) and was then planning to follow up with the abyss Phi. But I think it will be a toss up as to whether I go the Phi or the M scaler.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #1,183 of 18,905
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #1,184 of 18,905

Users who are viewing this thread

Back