Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 26, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #14,326 of 18,907
I'll happily go on record as saying I am a Chord supporter. I owned a Qutest, added an MScaler which was truly excellent. So good, I swapped the Q for a Dave because it seemed there was even more potential out there.

Dave on MScaler with Wave dual BNC cables was my reference for a good while. I am still "on Dave" so to speak, and some of us consider it the very best *platform* for SQ...compared to any DAC out there, at any price.

We have modified the power supply and by-passed the Amanero board.
Speaking for myself only: this makes excellent *even better.

Actually, my comment was not directed at Rob Watts at all. It was directed at those who blindly accept things and publicly groom their sacred cows.

I have spent a lot of money on Chord products, and related "enhancements." Mr. Watts has done an amazing job with the Chord products, IMO. Cheers...

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #14,327 of 18,907
What on earth does that mean ?
Do you really mean that you don’t understand even though he ends with a this clarification??

“Simply put: Music is less artificial, less rough, and more live."

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #14,328 of 18,907
Do you really mean that you don’t understand even though he ends with a this clarification??

“Simply put: Music is less artificial, less rough, and more live."
Sorry but that is pure audio mumbo jumbo designed to appease advertisers.

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #14,332 of 18,907
It is a fine example of using pseudoscience terms, to try and influence potential customers and sponsors.
Agreed, the terms are not defined, and technically "align" the analog and digital signal makes no sense to me. And I don't like the term "live" - that to me hints at brighter (that is a bright tonal balance) indicative of more noise floor modulation - typical of when you play around with LPS and change the digital side.

But Audio Bacon does not do advertising or have site sponsors. Last time I spoke to Jay (sometime back) he was going back to his day job as the site is run purely for fun - he is a genuine audiophile.

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #14,333 of 18,907
Agreed, the terms are not defined, and technically "align" the analog and digital signal makes no sense to me. And I don't like the term "live" - that to me hints at brighter (that is a bright tonal balance) indicative of more noise floor modulation - typical of when you play around with LPS and change the digital side.

But Audio Bacon does not do advertising or have site sponsors. Last time I spoke to Jay (sometime back) he was going back to his day job as the site is run purely for fun - he is a genuine audiophile.
Thanks for the clarification Rob. I have edited the post.

Jun 27, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #14,334 of 18,907

Hmm? I would say it very much depends on how HE, Jay in this case, defines live?
Doesn´t it?

If ,but only IF,his definition of "live" is that a recording or reproduction chain sounds closer to how the acoustic unamplified instruments and the human voice ACTUALLY sounded live in a real venue ,I fully agree with him.

And under those circumstances, both "less artifical and less rough" are always indications of Higher Fidelity,
and SQ closer to "LIVE" imo and as such accurate terms to describe SQ.

Transparency, and low distortion are two other terms I find useful when trying to describe SQ. To me those are THE Reference Points I always relate to and the ony TRULY meaningful definitions of what HI FI is all about and should be imho!

PS I do not pay much attention to what most YT reviewers including Jay,have to say. But reviews can sometimes be an indication that a product is worth investigating.
Cheers CC
PS 2 My comments only relate to the words/terms quoted not the actual context they appeared in.
It seems he is out on pretty thin ice in real terms.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #14,335 of 18,907
Cut all the crap and keep tt2+HMS and one totl headphones. Try R70x directly out of tt2+HMS in low gain mode I bet you would sell everything other. For streaming you can use a laptop/nuc with ifi isilencer+ and mconnect app. You will be able to use all formats. It will be a lot more elegant solution than multiple boxes and pre you are having.
Yes you definitely want to throw away your purpose built streamer and hook it up to noisy laptop, way more elegant and you can make your system sound worse too.. Awesome!! :wink:

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #14,336 of 18,907
That's a waste of money, but it's yours not mine. I'm sure you've read the first post in the article? The designer can't even explain how it works. How do you know it won't make things worse?

I dont want to derail this thread, but please feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about how the ENO works. I make them and I'd be delighted to help :)

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #14,338 of 18,907
Regarding the funding of Audio Bacon and site sponsors you might find this link to his website of interest.

https://audiobacon.net/about/amp/
Thanks for the link; I’ve read a fair number of Jay’s reviews (even things I’m not interested in as a purchaser) and they reinforce my own reluctance to “review” or comment on gear I’ve purchased or am familiar with. Audiophile terms strike me as “squishy” and somewhat poorly defined and some of Jay’s comments fall in that category. Someone else’s descriptions serve as (at best) helpful indicators pushing me to read other reviews and, ultimately, try a product myself. I’m always willing to say something strikes me as an improvement but getting into the weeds with actual adjectives only seems to promote occasional exchanges that often aren’t helpful. It doesn’t mean I won’t since there is gear I like very much and want to share my enthusiasm but sometimes the blowback can be off putting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back