Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 24, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #14,296 of 18,900
Jun 24, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #14,297 of 18,900
Before spending on a power supply try this. While listening remove the dc jack from the back of TT2. You should have 30 seconds running from the super caps. If it sounds better then look at a different supply/battery. If it sounds the same spend your $ on some new headphones.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #14,298 of 18,900
Before spending on a power supply try this. While listening remove the dc jack from the back of TT2. You should have 30 seconds running from the super caps. If it sounds better then look at a different supply/battery. If it sounds the same spend your $ on some new headphones.
I was about to post this but didn't because some people in this thread have the money, like to tinker and able to convince themselves it makes a difference when in reality there is none - now I sound negative but someone has to debunk some of this crap. Rob has designed the TT2 to filter the power and run off the super caps, someone could have a grounding issue but that's easily solved for a lot less than the cost of a power supply and Rob has already indicated that earlier in the thread.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #14,299 of 18,900
In preparation for Spotify Hifi I decided it was time to experiment with a raspberry pi streamer. My pi 4 is a compute board as I prefer ports on the back, no wifi, no bluetooth no eMMC memory running off a DC battery powerbank - I don't want to hear any arguments about electrical interference it's as basic as you can get.

A few questions I wanted to solve for myself:

1. Does the USB output impact the sound depending on the device?
2. Does the software renderer impact the sound?
3. Is there a difference in sound between USB and SPDIF?

My current chain is: MacBook Pro > Audirvana > USB > TT2
New chain is: RPi4 > Moode Audio > USB > TT2

Answers:

1. No. There was no audible difference between MacBook and RPi4 USB output using the same software. Audirvana sounded exactly the same whether I played it off my MacBook connected directly to the TT2 or streamed it from my MacBook to the pi and TT2 via USB.

2. Yes, Audirvana sounds different than moode audio. However, moode sounded exactly the same as Volumio which I later learned they both use MPD as the renderer - this supports my previous thesis about streamers, it's the audio renderer (ie. SOFTWARE) that is changing the sound. I have tested and confirmed this to be true in the past when comparing ROON, Audirvana and HQplayer on my MacBook.

3. Yes, but I was only able to compare TOSLINK and USB on my Mac. I have a digione on the way to compare digital outputs using the PI.

Other observations: I tried hqplayer embedded on the rpi (without upsampling) and it sounded the same as Audirvana.

What I can draw from this, the software renderer matters, the output to the TT2 matters, but the same output (USB) on two different devices using the same renderer made no difference. The investment is small and you can easily replicate these tests on your own.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #14,300 of 18,900
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #14,301 of 18,900
That's a waste of money, but it's yours not mine. I'm sure you've read the first post in the article? The designer can't even explain how it works. How do you know it won't make things worse?
Arnold Schwartz, have you heard of Hans Beekhuyzen? He has a YouTube channel video where he explains why he uses an ENO Ethernet filter in his steaming system. The video is related to his review of the Chord DAVE DAC. The ENO is a passive Ethernet filter that many people believe improves the sound quality of their listening chain when streaming music from the internet.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #14,302 of 18,900
I have heard of Hans, but respectfully I doubt at his age he can hear up to 16kHz - age will do that to all of us, that’s why when performance matters some careers force early retirement.

Reviewers should post hearing tests and be transparent about their physical capabilities; at least with professional athletes we can quantify this based on their stats. Needless to say, he’s on my ignore list. Might sound harsh but anyone with an opinion can start a YouTube channel or review a product which says nothing about their attributes - people should be more careful about these things into account before taking someone’s opinion - use common sense.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #14,303 of 18,900
I have heard of Hans, but respectfully I doubt at his age he can hear up to 16kHz - age will do that to all of us, that’s why when performance matters some careers force early retirement.

Reviewers should post hearing tests and be transparent about their physical capabilities; at least with professional athletes we can quantify this based on their stats. Needless to say, he’s on my ignore list. Might sound harsh but anyone with an opinion can start a YouTube channel or review a product which says nothing about their attributes - people should be more careful about these things into account before taking someone’s opinion - use common sense.
Arnold Schwartz, are you implying that I lack a modicum of some basic common sense that you obviously have, and cannot discern for myself what sounds good to my own ears?

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #14,306 of 18,900
If you have a better reason as to why he is worth listening to I am willing to hear it because I don’t know everything and may be wrong
Arnold did you take the time to clic the link to the review that posted about he ENO Ethernet filter? I only posited my query because I’m always looking to remove any RFI and EMI from my listening chain that might unduly color the sound quality of my hp system.

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #14,308 of 18,900
I don’t believe you or Hans can hear EMI or RFI that might be emanating from an Ethernet cable.
Arnold Schwartz, of course you can’t hear it because what good cabling and connections do is take away unwanted RFI and EMI, which allows for a truer and undistorted listening experience.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #14,309 of 18,900
Arnold Schwartz, of course you can’t hear it because what good cabling and connections do is take away unwanted RFI and EMI, which allows for a truer and undistorted listening experience.
…and that’s exactly what I experienced when I began using a battery to power my M-Scaler. There was additional improvement when I ditched USB for optical.

Jun 25, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #14,310 of 18,900
I don’t believe you or Hans can hear EMI or RFI that might be emanating from an Ethernet cable.
Hans is a good guy, taking the time to explain concepts and technologies to perhaps a less clued in audience.
Hans also worked as a professional in recording studios I think.
Hans is a giver, but your recent posts make you sound a little arrogant.
to choose between listening to a decent guy who contributes to the community or an arrogant guy, I know which I’d choose.

and further, robs an older man, does that mean we rubbish his hearing opinions.
listening is a skill, although I imagine you mostly exercise speaking !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back