Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 31, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #14,072 of 18,991
May 31, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #14,074 of 18,991
@jarnopp and @RCC HD Sound thanks for clarifying. I was wondering about switching to spdif. I thought I read somwhere Rob say originally he thought USB sound best but in his new setup spdif is better?
IMHO optical provides superior sound in my particular set up (MacBook Pro>Audirvana>M-Scaler>TT2>headphones). If I’m listening to speakers, the TT2>Chord 2650>Totem Forest completes that chain. My wife hates headphones but she noticed the improvement when listening to the speakers; trust me, she’s no audiophile! When she notices, you can take it to the bank. You can buy an inexpensive optical cable to experiment with before springing for a really good cable. I’m 100% sold.

Jun 1, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #14,076 of 18,991
Hi, guys. I noted at times there are crackling sound and very bad distrortion when listening to headphones out of the Chord TT2 3.5mm . I have to switch the unit off and on or replug the phones a few times before it goes away. I am using a L shaped jack and the fit is a bit awkward but I think quite secure. This does not happen often but it kinda worries me. I am connecting my Chord to a Windows PC via USB. Any ideas? Thanks

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #14,078 of 18,991
IMHO optical provides superior sound in my particular set up (MacBook Pro>Audirvana>M-Scaler>TT2>headphones). If I’m listening to speakers, the TT2>Chord 2650>Totem Forest completes that chain. My wife hates headphones but she noticed the improvement when listening to the speakers; trust me, she’s no audiophile! When she notices, you can take it to the bank. You can buy an inexpensive optical cable to experiment with before springing for a really good cable. I’m 100% sold.
Good afternoon,
I still have my doubts regarding the final quality of the sound when I am connecting to the HTT2;

Connection 1. my cd player is connected to the HTT2 in two simultaneous ways, with two cables, one Toslink (Optical) and one coaxial (rca), testing at a volume of -25db, I have exchanged A / B the type of connection and a slight greater definition is appreciated with the optical cable (fiberglass)

Connection 2. My Macbook Pro is connected to the HTT2 with a USB cable, would it be convenient to change this connection to one of the Optical type (toslink)?

always looking for something that can improve our sound reception.
thanks in advance for your opinions

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #14,079 of 18,991
Good afternoon,
I still have my doubts regarding the final quality of the sound when I am connecting to the HTT2;

Connection 1. my cd player is connected to the HTT2 in two simultaneous ways, with two cables, one Toslink (Optical) and one coaxial (rca), testing at a volume of -25db, I have exchanged A / B the type of connection and a slight greater definition is appreciated with the optical cable (fiberglass)

Connection 2. My Macbook Pro is connected to the HTT2 with a USB cable, would it be convenient to change this connection to one of the Optical type (toslink)?

My MacBook Pro is from 2014 and has an optical port; later MacBooks eliminated the headphone/optical out. There are ways to add optical out to newer MacBooks but that also adds to the connection chain. I hope they bring an optical out back at some point and I’m holding on to my MacBook Pro until that happens!

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #14,080 of 18,991
Good afternoon,

Optical cable that could be this:
There is only one in my opinion; you can try the rest, but if you want the best, go here:
http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html
TOSLINK / MINIPLUG Premium Silflex Glass Cables with Optisilk™ Jacketing

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #14,082 of 18,991
My MacBook Pro is from 2014 and has an optical port; later MacBooks eliminated the headphone/optical out. There are ways to add optical out to newer MacBooks but that also adds to the connection chain. I hope they bring an optical out back at some point and I’m holding on to my MacBook Pro until that happens!
I know, thanks for the warning.
my macbook Pro is from the year 2015, and the headphone output can also be an Optical port (Toslink) if the corresponding optical cable is connected to it

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #14,084 of 18,991
Good afternoon,

RCC HD Sound, if you really want to make your TT2 sing, then you have got to stop using your MacBook as your music source! Laptop computers are inherently very noisy because they’re designed to do multiple operations all at one time.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #14,085 of 18,991
RCC HD Sound, if you really want to make your TT2 sing, then you have got to stop using your MacBook as your music source! Laptop computers are inherently very noisy because they’re designed to do multiple operations all at one time.
yes, I had read that in this thread, I will find out for a dedicated server soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back