Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 22, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #1,276 of 18,905
A similar question was asked when the Blu2 was released, and I think Robs response was along the lines that including the M-Scaler circuitry in the same case as DAVE, would introduce too much electrical noise disturbance, so it was necessary to locate the M-Scaler in an external case. In those days it was in the Blu2 case, and I presume that the same rationale still applies to the standalone M-Scaler.
thank you. could be but i have my doubts

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #1,278 of 18,905
So...anyone come up with a good idea for stacking an mscaler with a Dave yet?

Set the M scaler down on your desk or table. Step 2, put the Dave on top of it.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,279 of 18,905
Dear Mr Watts,

According to the specs the Hugo 2 only supports 384kHz on its single 3.5mm coax input - what does the cable you talk about connect from and to?

Hugo 2 3.5mm coax port supports dual data streams, 2 x 384khz streams to make one 768khz stream.

This is what I am confused about.

Depending on how the 3.5mm jack plug is setup, depends on what mode the coax port will work as. So I am not sure if the dual data coax jack is just a normal coax jack or if it is some weird thing. The mscaler does not come with cables to connect to hugo 2.

So is it just a normal coax jack or some funky one ? because rob mentions in a post that we will have to get a coax to rca cable and then rca to bnc cable or make a 3.5mm coax to bnc, would that be a single bnc termination or dual bnc termination ?

It would be great if someone, anyone could clarify the situation, because I would like to have the cable/s done before the MScaler arrives, nothing worse than having a new toy, and mummy forgetting to buy the batteries, type of situation.

So, does anyone know how this will work ? Its just a pity that its named hugo 2 mscaler, but doesnt ship with an actual connection to hugo 2. < missed opportunity.

Pic below shows two different pin out connections for the single coax port, tip and sleeve and ring and sleeve. Both doing half of a 768khz stream.

Not being overly familiar with 3.5mm coax, does all that happen on one normal coax jack or do we need to source a different one, also, does the 3.5 coax end in 1 or 2 bnc connectors ?

1BF1A266-7D95-4F0F-BBFC-FF6B4BA5ED44.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 22, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,282 of 18,905
Hugo 2 3.5mm coax port supports dual data streams, 2 x 384khz streams to make one 768khz stream.

This is what I am confused about.

Depending on how the 3.5mm jack plug is setup, depends on what mode the coax port will work as. So I am not sure if the dual data coax jack is just a normal coax jack or if it is some weird thing. The mscaler does not come with cables to connect to hugo 2.

So is it just a normal coax jack or some funky one ? because rob mentions in a post that we will have to get a coax to rca cable and then rca to bnc cable or make a 3.5mm coax to bnc, would that be a single bnc termination or dual bnc termination ?

It would be great if someone, anyone could clarify the situation, because I would like to have the cable/s done before the MScaler arrives, nothing worse than having a new toy, and mummy forgetting to buy the batteries, type of situation.

So, does anyone know how this will work ? Its just a pity that its named hugo 2 mscaler, but doesnt ship with an actual connection to hugo 2. < missed opportunity.

Pic below shows two different pin out connections for the single coax port, tip and sleeve and ring and sleeve. Both doing half of a 768khz stream.

Not being overly familiar with 3.5mm coax, does all that happen on one normal coax jack or do we need to source a different one, also, does the 3.5 coax end in 1 or 2 bnc connectors ?

I have been trying to understand the picture in this post.
It looks like the DIY cable takes the signal from the R RCA socket, and splits it into two streams for the M-Scaler.
The dual data flow is indicated by the blue input ball.

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #1,283 of 18,905
It looks like the DIY cable takes the signal from the R RCA socket, and splits it into two streams for the M-Scaler.

Pretty sure you just need two BNC to RCA cables and a dual RCA to 3.5mm adapter.

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,284 of 18,905
So...anyone come up with a good idea for stacking an mscaler with a Dave yet?

There are kazillions of glass monitor stands on amazon, haven’t got the time to find the ideal one, but something like this but with the right dimensions is probably good enough ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y2QC...&pd_rd_r=aef4c64b-8dc9-11e8-a6fd-4df13460a22d

Of course, it might be that there needs to be EMI and RFI and bad karma screening between the two.. but there does exist the possibility of some neat BNC to BNC leads to connect M Scaler and TT2 or DAVE.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,285 of 18,905
There are kazillions of glass monitor stands on amazon, haven’t got the time to find the ideal one, but something like this but with the right dimensions is probably good enough ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y2QC...&pd_rd_r=aef4c64b-8dc9-11e8-a6fd-4df13460a22d

Of course, it might be that there needs to be EMI and RFI and bad karma screening between the two.. but there does exist the possibility of some neat BNC to BNC leads to connect M Scaler and TT2 or DAVE.
Well found, proof that you don't need to spend the earth, to find a stylish and practical solution.

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,286 of 18,905
Set the M scaler down on your desk or table. Step 2, put the Dave on top of it.
Thanks, but how will I stop the Dave from floating away :)

Use the Blu2 - both DAVE and Blu2 are members of the Choral range, and are designed to be stacked, using the chord stands.
Yeah, if money was literally no object I suppose. The MScaler is 1/2 the price, has optical inputs I want, and drops the CD player I have no use for. And the scaling tech is supposedly identical? I just wish it was in a coral form factor - that would be perfect!

Well found!! A bit more searching revealed this one. It's exactly the depth of the TT/MScaler and exactly the width of the Dave (I got the black Dave :) ) Perfection!

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Monitor-Adjustable-Notebook-HD01B-002/dp/B076GZH1RD

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #1,288 of 18,905
Its just a pity that its named hugo 2 mscaler, but doesnt ship with an actual connection to hugo 2

It's not. It's named "Hugo M Scaler".

Granted, they should have named it Hugo TT M Scaler since it follows the same form factor as the TT line.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,289 of 18,905

Yeah, thats a weird setup, I can’t figure it out, especially the part about using just one rca output. Whoever took the picture should be shot for missing the obvious bum shot. Which would of been so helpful.

Plus, it looks like the coax port isn’t even used which is surprising. I thought it would of been hence the 2 streams of 384khz. I have a theory but its probably wrong. It is a weird setup in that photo. If it is some weird ghetto cable mod, it would be excellent to have it in the box alongside the mscaler, but my sources say, cable not included.

It's not. It's named "Hugo M Scaler".

Granted, they should have named it Hugo TT M Scaler since it follows the same form factor as the TT line.

If anything, they should of called it Hugo TT 2 MScaler.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,290 of 18,905
If anything, they should of called it Hugo TT 2 MScaler.

No. Why? Because it's not a 2nd generation device. They did not call the newly-released speaker amp TToby the TToby 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back