Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #11,717 of 19,014
I agree with every single thing you said except the "unfortunately" bit at the beginning :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. did you find any improvement with the Isoacoustics supports? I was thinking of getting a set myself
I’m a fan of the ISO Acoustics products, though the most significant improvement is when used with speakers. I put an Iso Acoustics stand under my subwoofer for my 2.1 system, and the result was dramatic! I’ve also placed them under my Totem Forest speakers and, again, the improvement was immediate. I first put them under only one speaker and then moved the balance back and forth to gauge what improvement, if any, there would be and the improvement was very obvious. I purchased the small Iso Acoustic pucks (comes in an 8 pack) for my Focal Arche because the metal spiked feet were scratching my desk and used the remaining four under the Chord Tt2/M-Scaler. I believe there was an improvement with the Arche but I’m not sure; ditto for the Chord stack. It can’t hurt though, right? Anyway, highly recommended for speakers without question; probably a great idea with turntables or CD players but I’m much less sure about other components.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #11,718 of 19,014
Tidal mqa is a big scam. Mqa is like made of two part. One lossless pass-through which can be passed through to dac by some players. It contains another part which is not lossless and together with lossless first part it creates first unfold in software players like tidal's own app, audirvana and roon etc. So this first unfold though not fully lossless but is better than pass through. For example there is 24 48 pass through, 24 96 first unfold. Second unfold (if original recording was 24 192) upto 24 192 takes place in the dac which is nothing but upsampling to tidal's specifications. So if you are getting first unfold from software you are not losing anything because chord's own upsampling is far more superior to tidal's specifications one inside the maq compatible dac. All this was done to reduce the data rate drastically and still fooling people that they are getting something which is master file which in fact far far from truth.
rkt31, isn’t what Roon is doing is just passing the best file available thru my MacBook to my M Scaler? I’ve got all of my listening chain hardware exactly as I want it, and I’m only messing with some settings in Roon, DSP, headroom, and crossfeed, to achieve different sound signatures. I’ve found that it makes subtle but discernable changes if I’m listening to full orchestra opera versus studio recorded jazz. I mean that I can disable all of Roon’s filters and upsampling capabilities, but because my hp system is so analytical of every recording, sometimes it’s nice to take the bright edge off of poorer recordings that my Focal Utopias reveal. Does that make any sense?

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #11,719 of 19,014
I agree with every single thing you said except the "unfortunately" bit at the beginning :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. did you find any improvement with the Isoacoustics supports? I was thinking of getting a set myself
juansan, I use IsoAcoustic Graphite pucks underneath my HMS/TT2 combo, which I think Gadget67 does too. The benefits are subtle sitting on my dining room table when the house is quiet and everyone is sleeping. But when everybody is up and moving around, our 55in TV on, and my girls are using smartphones and iPads, not to mention when I bump the table, the IsoAcoustic pucks are a nice thing to have.

Attachments

• 1C74B670-D48B-479C-9358-03AA927571FF.jpeg
    1C74B670-D48B-479C-9358-03AA927571FF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A6AEB423-478B-4A49-AD10-23E60EB34BD7.jpeg
    A6AEB423-478B-4A49-AD10-23E60EB34BD7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • E0F77E5E-AA8C-44DE-87F3-23E1F0264B99.jpeg
    E0F77E5E-AA8C-44DE-87F3-23E1F0264B99.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 510FBB22-1A2E-4775-9BAA-1A49235ACB9C.jpeg
    510FBB22-1A2E-4775-9BAA-1A49235ACB9C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #11,720 of 19,014
Tt2 does not have seperate internal headphone amp. It is like direct dac out. It is way too powerful for most headphones including hd800s. So I would suggest using tt2 in low gain mode for most headphones. I use hd650 with tt2 and HMS combo in low gain mode and I can barely go past -12L setting. It's a misconception that tt2, Hugo 2 or Dave need headphone amp. Since these chord dacs have extremely low output impedance, you need to be habitual of fast uncolored driving of headphones by the extremely low output impedance.

Sorry for the silly question, but can you clarify that there is not an internal headphone amp? I am sure there is a subtle distinction I am missing since the TT2 is marketed as a DAC, Preamp and Headphone amp all in one. I have read great reviews about the power it has to drive HD800s so I am super optimistic, but just want to learn as much as possible before jumping in...thanks!

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #11,721 of 19,014
Sorry for the silly question, but can you clarify that there is not an internal headphone amp? I am sure there is a subtle distinction I am missing since the TT2 is marketed as a DAC, Preamp and Headphone amp all in one. I have read great reviews about the power it has to drive HD800s so I am super optimistic, but just want to learn as much as possible before jumping in...thanks!
Chord realised long ago that if they just describe their DACs as DACS, it confuses too many people - who struggle to understand that you don't need 50 transistors to convert the dac output signal into an analog voltage/current sufficient to dvive head phones, or small speakers.
The 'amp' is very simple, in order to ensure the music remains very transparent.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.879425/post-15002886

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #11,722 of 19,014
juansan, I use IsoAcoustic Graphite pucks underneath my HMS/TT2 combo, which I think Gadget67 does too. The benefits are subtle sitting on my dining room table when the house is quiet and everyone is sleeping. But when everybody is up and moving around, our 55in TV on, and my girls are using smartphones and iPads, not to mention when I bump the table, the IsoAcoustic pucks are a nice thing to have.
Nice!!! I went for the cheesy (much cheaper) black pucks but I may upgrade to the (maybe?) better Orea series.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #11,724 of 19,014
I’m a fan of the ISO Acoustics products, though the most significant improvement is when used with speakers. I put an Iso Acoustics stand under my subwoofer for my 2.1 system, and the result was dramatic! I’ve also placed them under my Totem Forest speakers and, again, the improvement was immediate. I first put them under only one speaker and then moved the balance back and forth to gauge what improvement, if any, there would be and the improvement was very obvious. I purchased the small Iso Acoustic pucks (comes in an 8 pack) for my Focal Arche because the metal spiked feet were scratching my desk and used the remaining four under the Chord Tt2/M-Scaler. I believe there was an improvement with the Arche but I’m not sure; ditto for the Chord stack. It can’t hurt though, right? Anyway, highly recommended for speakers without question; probably a great idea with turntables or CD players but I’m much less sure about other components.
What a good idea, it will be possible for you to send me the complete specifications to be able to order them, I am thinking of using them in my ProAc response 25 columns.
(remember that I live in Chile)

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #11,725 of 19,014
What a good idea, it will be possible for you to send me the complete specifications to be able to order them, I am thinking of using them in my ProAc response 25 columns.
(remember that I live in Chile)
Here is a link to the IsoAcoustics web site which should give you all the information you need.
https://isoacoustics.com/
If you scroll down you’ll see a where to buy link; they list a dealer in Chile with contact information. Here is the information:
Chile
Promusic Audio Ltda.
Av. Salvador 2536 — Santiago
Tel: 562 29238000
E-mail : Ventas@promusic.cl

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #11,727 of 19,014
After owning the Qutest for only two days, I am in the process of selling off some gear with my sights set on the TT2 in my near future, I am torn between black and silver. Silver looks a bit more flashy and "Chord-esque" and black looks really badass and understated. So...how did you choose? Match your other gear (mine is mostly black) or stand out with the classic Chord Silver?
You do know the silver sounds better, right??? :confused:

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #11,728 of 19,014
Chord realised long ago that if they just describe their DACs as DACS, it confuses too many people - who struggle to understand that you don't need 50 transistors to convert the dac output signal into an analog voltage/current sufficient to dvive head phones, or small speakers.
The 'amp' is very simple, in order to ensure the music remains very transparent.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.879425/post-15002886

Very cool...thanks for providing exactly the info I needed...much appreciated!

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #11,729 of 19,014
Here is a link to the IsoAcoustics web site which should give you all the information you need.
https://isoacoustics.com/
If you scroll down you’ll see a where to buy link; they list a dealer in Chile with contact information. Here is the information:
Chile
Promusic Audio Ltda.
Av. Salvador 2536 — Santiago
Tel: 562 29238000
E-mail : Ventas@promusic.cl

Wonderful, thanks for the information, I am very grateful, you are very kind:call_me:

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #11,730 of 19,014
It is way too powerful for most headphones including hd800s. So I would suggest using tt2 in low gain mode for most headphones.
Rob advised to use high gain with all headphones and switch to low gain only when you have to (background hiss, e t.c.). Low gain just includes additional resistor into scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back