Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #11,687 of 19,014
Personally I think that would be very subjective and best verified individually to be honest. I myself have only performed some quick comparisons on the H2 originally and heard only very subtle differences.
Likewise. It’s difficult to make head to head comparisons because of the cycle time when making menu changes so I may try listening for an extended period in each of the modes.
Can’t you use the remote to cycle between them straight without having to use the menu?
Good point! I haven’t tried that; I’m usually sitting within arms length when listening with headphones so I really don’t use the remote very much.
Yes, you can use the remote control to switch from one filter to another.
but that's not the point, if you bought a DAC of this level, the least you can expect is that the user manual is more specific as to what you should expect from the built-in FILTERS.
With this more understood topic, you can carry out the tests you want, one and a thousand times, but first you must know what the offered refers to

Some time ago I read in a review of the TT2, "going from filter 1 to 4 results in a marked good effect on the bass response"
However this is said by the review author and not Chord Electronics ........

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #11,690 of 19,014
The first two filters are 256fs. Fs stands for the sample frequency. 256fs is considered to be a super high reference-style sampling frequency that can accurately reproduce pretty much any audio you’d want to play back perfectly, up to a 192kHz recorded sample rate. The second of the two has high frequency roll off

The second two filters are 16fs which will give the audio a warmer tone overall, although doesn’t have the same preciseness of the 256fs filters. Again the second of the two has high frequency roll off.

not sure how much more that helps. Like I said before to understand the subjective effect of something you have to listen to it yourself, no amount of description will really help you on this.
So, sitting here playing with the filters as I write this. The remote allows quick switching (duh...) and I don’t notice dramatic differences, but I do prefer filter #2 overall.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #11,691 of 19,014
So, sitting here playing with the filters as I write this. The remote allows quick switching (duh...) and I don’t notice dramatic differences, but I do prefer filter #2 overall.
...and don’t forget about the crossfeed function (X-PHD on the remote). I also leave that on level 2; the effects here seem more noticeable. Overall, setting at level 2 crossfeed and level 2 on the filter function seems to produce the overall best effect for my tastes using my Focal Utopia; fun to play with though!

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #11,692 of 19,014
does the internal amp of the TT2 have enough power to create a sound signature similar to my V281 or would I most likely be better off using the TT2 as a dedicated DAC and continue to pass the amp duties on to the V281?
I was a huge Violectric fan before TT2.

TT2 sounds better, give it a chance. V281 have less controlled bass, rolled off highs and sounds more grainy overall. Although, by any means I would not say that V281 is bad amp.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #11,693 of 19,014
Gadget67, I find that the four filter settings on the TT2 can have a very noticeable affect depending on the quality of the recording and type of music that one listens to.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #11,694 of 19,014
Gadget67, I find that the four filter settings on the TT2 can have a very noticeable affect depending on the quality of the recording and type of music that one listens to.

What setting should the filter be on if using the M Scaler?

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #11,695 of 19,014
The first two filters are 256fs. Fs stands for the sample frequency. 256fs is considered to be a super high reference-style sampling frequency that can accurately reproduce pretty much any audio you’d want to play back perfectly, up to a 192kHz recorded sample rate. The second of the two has high frequency roll off

The second two filters are 16fs which will give the audio a warmer tone overall, although doesn’t have the same preciseness of the 256fs filters. Again the second of the two has high frequency roll off.

not sure how much more that helps. Like I said before to understand the subjective effect of something you have to listen to it yourself, no amount of description will really help you on this.
...and don’t forget about the crossfeed function (X-PHD on the remote). I also leave that on level 2; the effects here seem more noticeable. Overall, setting at level 2 crossfeed and level 2 on the filter function seems to produce the overall best effect for my tastes using my Focal Utopia; fun to play with though!

Many thanks to both of you for your Contribution, I've been listening to my new TT2 for many hours man, the sound is from another planet, impressively GOOD

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #11,696 of 19,014
What setting should the filter be on if using the M Scaler?
Like I said earlier CaptainFantastic, it really depends for me on what music I’m listening to. Tonight it’s the Puccini opera Turandot. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turandot I’m using the FIL2 setting, incisive neutral with HF roll-off, and the XFD3: Broad crossfeed setting which makes the representation in my hp’s more speaker like. But now you’re in the very subjective area of personal taste. Either way these different options are fun to play around with. I’m streaming using Roon + Tidal.

Attachments

• 285E1ADE-4437-4FF0-8A96-2C2A5EC5BCDE.jpeg
    285E1ADE-4437-4FF0-8A96-2C2A5EC5BCDE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 31D2279D-82F1-4D7F-88A0-207E8F89DDC7.jpeg
    31D2279D-82F1-4D7F-88A0-207E8F89DDC7.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #11,697 of 19,014
Like I said earlier CaptainFantastic, it really depends for me on what music I’m listening to. Tonight it’s the Puccini opera Turandot. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turandot I’m using the FIL2 setting, incisive neutral with HF roll-off, and the XFD3: Broad crossfeed setting which makes the representation in my hp’s more speaker like. But now you’re in the very subjective area of personal taste. Either way these different options are fun to play around with. I’m streaming using Roon + Tidal.
hi, TIDAL broadcasts in high resolution audio, or is it just marketing?

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #11,699 of 19,014
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #11,700 of 19,014
Hey guys...I just received my first piece of Chord gear...a Qutest and already I am addicted to the sound signature. The texture of my music just sounds more engaging compared to both my Gungnir MB and my RME-ADi-2. I am seriously considering selling off some of my other gear to buy a TT2 as a nice desktop headphone rig with plans to add the M Scaler after that. My primary headphone is the HD800 (I own both a modded original and the newer S model). I really enjoy the way they sound out of my Violectric V281, my Monolith THX 887 as well as my trusty Bottlehead Crack. My question is...does the internal amp of the TT2 have enough power to create a sound signature similar to my V281 or would I most likely be better off using the TT2 as a dedicated DAC and continue to pass the amp duties on to the V281?

I would love to hear the opinion of people running the TT2 with the HD800. If I still need my external amps to maximize the sound quality, I may choose to add the M Scaler to my Qutest first and add the TT2 at some point later down the road...thanks!
congrats.
I can imagine how difficult it would have been shifting to chord, considering the hype and planned propaganda by some websites for substandard schiit gear. Can't believe how adamant can schiit supporters be who keep on harping superiority of r2r tech without any proof and measurements. Tt2 with m scaler is end game. No dac on earth can beat it, I can claim that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back