Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 13, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #11,671 of 19,012
Anyone here using a uptone product for their usb out of pc to tt2? How is it?
I used a Schiit Wyrd between a pi3 and TT1 usb input. It helped clean up some clicks in that instance.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #11,674 of 19,012
What do you mean 2 in series? Can you tell a difference easily?
One after another and difference is easily noticeable. I used even 4 in series, two isilencer+ and two old non plus version. I found 3 is the maximum limit which gives the cleanest sound . Practically two are sufficient for high quality usb out.

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #11,677 of 19,012
I will add my 2c, because you are correct that this type of question does crop up a lot on Chord threads.
I remember when I first had the Mojo, and I first compared usb input with optical.
I found that optical sounded slightly dull compared to usb (which sounded more alive), so initially thought that usb was the best input.
Then i had the opportunity to hear similar music (a choir, plus a lute, performed in a church) played live, and quickly realised that it sounded slightly dull, just like the optical input.
There is no right/wrong answer.
Test all the TT2 inputs, then go and listen to live music, and you will discover which signal input you want to use in the future.
:relaxed:

Estimated,
Your appreciation is very true, follow your advice.
THANKS A LOT

That was possibly noise on the USB power rails, that makes Mojo sound brighter and more lively. The Mojo does not have any noise filtering on its USB power rails. ... I found adding an Audioquest Jitterbug to the Mojo USB input, made USB sound like optical. ... After adding the Jitterbug, it took me a short while to adjust to the new signature. (Some have even said they prefer Mojo with USB noise.)

The TT2 does have filtering on its USB input. There is no discernible difference I can hear on its inputs USB vs optical. By default I have a Jitterbug on it anyway, because Jitterbug was already on my USB cable from PC source.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #11,678 of 19,012
@Rob Watts - According to the Hugo TT2 User Manual, this is the definition of FILTERS:

FILTER:
The Hugo TT 2 has the ability to alter the way in which it processes and filters the incoming audio data, which, in turn, has a multi-faceted effect on the presentation of audio. These modes can be especially useful with DSD recordings.

FIL1 – Incisive neutral: the default filtering characteristic; the absolute reference.
FIL2 – Incisive neutral with HF roll-off: contains the same fundamental filtering characteristics of FIL1, however, the HF filter is intended to remove the HF noise from HD (88.2 to 768 kHz) recordings.
FIL3 – Warm: a secondary filtering characteristic for the Hugo TT 2 with a subtle warming tonality.

FIL4 – Warm with HF roll-off: contains the same fundamental filtering characteristics of FIL3, however, the HF filter is intended to remove the HF noise from HD (88.2 to 768 kHz) recordings

However, we would like to know, what is the difference in terms of hearing (sound) between one filter and another.
for example: (inventing) filter 4 adds more consistency to low tones.

It would be ideal to know what the changes in sound level would be between one filter and another (since it is not indicated in the user manual)
first of all, Thanks

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #11,680 of 19,012
Hey guys...I just received my first piece of Chord gear...a Qutest and already I am addicted to the sound signature. The texture of my music just sounds more engaging compared to both my Gungnir MB and my RME-ADi-2. I am seriously considering selling off some of my other gear to buy a TT2 as a nice desktop headphone rig with plans to add the M Scaler after that. My primary headphone is the HD800 (I own both a modded original and the newer S model). I really enjoy the way they sound out of my Violectric V281, my Monolith THX 887 as well as my trusty Bottlehead Crack. My question is...does the internal amp of the TT2 have enough power to create a sound signature similar to my V281 or would I most likely be better off using the TT2 as a dedicated DAC and continue to pass the amp duties on to the V281?

I would love to hear the opinion of people running the TT2 with the HD800. If I still need my external amps to maximize the sound quality, I may choose to add the M Scaler to my Qutest first and add the TT2 at some point later down the road...thanks!

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #11,681 of 19,012
@RobWatts Is it normal for the TT2 to have a channel imbalance (very weak right channel sound) the first 5 to 10 seconds after it completes the power up cycle and starts outputting sound? The same happens the first 5 to 10 seconds after switching headphones.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #11,682 of 19,012
Personally I think that would be very subjective and best verified individually to be honest. I myself have only performed some quick comparisons on the H2 originally and heard only very subtle differences.
Likewise. It’s difficult to make head to head comparisons because of the cycle time when making menu changes so I may try listening for an extended period in each of the modes.

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #11,685 of 19,012
Yes, you can use the remote control to switch from one filter to another.
but that's not the point, if you bought a DAC of this level, the least you can expect is that the user manual is more specific as to what you should expect from the built-in FILTERS.
With this more understood topic, you can carry out the tests you want, one and a thousand times, but first you must know what the offered refers to

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back