Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #8,836 of 18,907
If I'm connecting the TT2 to powered studio monitors (via RCAs), should I set the TT2 to low gain or high gain?

I've tried both and both work. With low gain, I just need to turn the powered speakers up to a higher input level on the speakers so I'm wondering which is better.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #8,837 of 18,907
If I'm connecting the TT2 to powered studio monitors (via RCAs), should I set the TT2 to low gain or high gain?

I've tried both and both work. With low gain, I just need to turn the powered speakers up to a higher input level on the speakers so I'm wondering which is better.
From technical point of view high gain is probably better because low gain goes through additional resistor (correct me somebody if not).
But in real application you will probably won't tell the difference. Do listening tests of both options, if you don't see any difference, stick with one that has better colors :)

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #8,838 of 18,907
From technical point of view high gain is probably better because low gain goes through additional resistor (correct me somebody if not).

That's my thinking as well.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #8,839 of 18,907
Hi! Noticed the same thing with LCD-i4. According to support, it's common/nothing to worry about. I got a Groundhog+ and am using the spade connector too (it wraps around the PSU connector) - problem solved. Chord support "approved of" the solution.

you rock!

Apr 7, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #8,840 of 18,907

If you have active speakers just use the DAC mode of the TT2 and let the speaker amps handle the rest. If you're using the TT2 as a pre-amp then use low gain; the noise floor for low gain is 1.7uV vs 4uV for high gain. Going from High to Lo gain is a drop of 7.42 dB in the amplifiers noise floor. Whether or not that make a difference to you, depends on your equipment & ears. The question to ask is, do I really need to use high gain? Is the volume I achieve from Lo gain enough?

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #8,841 of 18,907
I’m having what I think is a ground loop problem with my TT 2.

It may take a while to explain the issue, please bear with me.

This only happens when I plug my KSE1200 into the TT2. I cannot hear the hum in any other headphones.

Here’s the setup:

Mac mini with roon -> TT 2 -> rca out -> Shure KSE1200

There’s a very noticeable hum. The hum stops when I touch the KSE1200 amp or the Mac mini chassis or the TT 2 chassis.

Funny thing is, I had this problem in the past and my fix does not work anymore. When I used to own a Hugo 2 instead of a TT 2 this was chain:

Mac mini -> Hugo 2 (two usb ports - data and charging) -> Shure KSE1200

I used to solve the issue with an iFi AC Purifier + iFi Groundhog+ plugged into an USB port in the mac mini.

Now, with the TT2, the hum still continues with the now grounded mac mini with AC Purifier and Groundhog+.

How should I solve that? The groundhog+ comes with a spade converter to connect into the TT 2 PSU plug but I’m afraid that could damage my brand new dac.

EB6C3226-5357-4FCD-A5EB-A2470B21C600.jpeg

Maybe a more experienced user or Mr. @Rob Watts can shed some light into this matter.

Thanks everyone.

Yes it just needs grounding - but grounding on USB won't work as it is galvanically isolated, which is why that worked with Hugo 2 because that does not have ioslation on USB. You can use the XLRs (pin 1), phono ground, BNC inputs and DX outputs grounds. You could also use one of the chassis screws too. Note that it is only really an issue with sensitive IEMs when you can touch the earth on the device then the 100uA of earth leakage current from the PSU flows through the IEM via your body to ground - and that creates a small voltage which the IEM then has an audible hum. If you earth it, the 100uA will flow via the low impedance ground connection, and not create an audible hum.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #8,842 of 18,907
Is it just me, or does Jerusalem ( and did those feet in ancient times ) give anyone else, tingles up the spine ?

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #8,844 of 18,907
Is it just me, or does Jerusalem ( and did those feet in ancient times ) give anyone else, tingles up the spine ?
Do you mean from ELP's «Brain Salad Surgery» (in the original DVD-A version)? That's indeed one of my favorites from this era.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #8,845 of 18,907
Do you mean from ELP's «Brain Salad Surgery» (in the original DVD-A version)? That's indeed one of my favorites from this era.

No, its just some choir schiit that roon picked up from qobuz.

Apr 9, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #8,847 of 18,907
Considering buying the Meze Empyrean. Audio Antsy again. Or maybe skip that and buy an upscaler.

Apr 10, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #8,848 of 18,907
Considering buying the Meze Empyrean. Audio Antsy again. Or maybe skip that and buy an upscaler.

im using the Empy in combination with the Hugo TT2 atm. It sound so incredibly good. I tested Utopia and Stelia and the Hifiman stuff against it.
For me its the best combination.
The only headphone that is probably better that i have heard is the Final audio D8000. But that headphone is is just to uncomfortable for me

Apr 10, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #8,849 of 18,907
im using the Empy in combination with the Hugo TT2 atm. It sound so incredibly good. I tested Utopia and Stelia and the Hifiman stuff against it.
For me its the best combination.
The only headphone that is probably better that i have heard is the Final audio D8000. But that headphone is is just to uncomfortable for me
I’d love to hear the big Abyss too. 5K is the stopper

Apr 10, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #8,850 of 18,907
@Rob Watts

Hi Rob, just another question from my pondering in isolation... I acknowledge the TT2's amp performs like ideal Class A under all circumstances due to the second order analogue noise shaper architecture of the amp, and can be proven by measurements under loaded/unloaded conditions, but whats the actual class of the amp? Is it a Class AB sliding bias with a high A bias? under what circumstances does it switch over to pure class B?

Hugo 2 is purely Class A as far as I understand.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back