Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 7, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #8,071 of 18,897
Two, no three possibilities. Your TT2 is perfect, your hearing is less than perfect, and late addition, you are lying.

I suspect option 1 or 2!

If I had to guess, I would think it would be number 2, as I have constant 24/7 tinnitus, and it is fkin annoying.

Although, I do think my TT2 is perfect, as it's worked perfectly since day 1.

What more could one ask for ?

I could be lying, but my track record for keeping it real suggests that, if I did hear it, the chances are high that I would post about it.

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #8,072 of 18,897
If I had to guess, I would think it would be number 2, as I have constant 24/7 tinnitus, and it is fkin annoying.

Although, I do think my TT2 is perfect, as it's worked perfectly since day 1.

What more could one ask for ?

I could be lying, but my track record for keeping it real suggests that, if I did hear it, the chances are high that I would post about it.
It is a very faint and distant, high pitch sound only for a few seconds when the display is on full brightness and displays sample rate. When it displays anything else, the sound in not present even at full brightness. It easily goes unnoticeable even without tinnitus. :wink:

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #8,073 of 18,897
no noise with display on full brightness or dim. small click when switching off/on. everything working fine. Enhanced QC sorted the display noise issue. Extra checks were instigated.

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #8,074 of 18,897
Roughly the same temps as mine Nick, which is a good 10+ oC lower than the safety cut out temp.

I was thinking about water cooling my mscalers fpga.
Not really

oh, go on, put it under a cold running tap. That should sort it! (short it).

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #8,075 of 18,897
It is a very faint and distant, high pitch sound only for a few seconds when the display is on full brightness and displays sample rate. When it displays anything else, the sound in not present even at full brightness. It easily goes unnoticeable even without tinnitus. :wink:

Ahk, I haven't heard it and I don't want to try to hear it again, because if I do, it will bug me.

Since I'm here, just thought I'd say, everyone needs a nuc, even if you all don't know it yet.

I look at my nuc, tt2 and mscaler and with my ipad, I have the ultimate roon experience.

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #8,076 of 18,897
i have a 512gb ssd imac roon core optical out to mscaler direct. the 27 inch screen is ultra hd with nvidia graphics.

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #8,077 of 18,897
oh, go on, put it under a cold running tap. That should sort it! (short it).

I have a pile of old water cooling blocks for cpu's, gpu's and chipsets, pumps etc and I would love to overclock the fpga. I wonder if bumping up the clock and voltage settings would give an audible improvement, or would it do the opposite, degrade the sound, which I wouldn't be surprised if it did exactly that.

I recall juicing up an old rig years ago and it caused crackly audio, overclocked the northbridge. I eventually killed it, but by that time socket 939 was coming to the end of it's life. Socket 939 nforce 4 survivor here.

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #8,078 of 18,897
Since I'm here, just thought I'd say, everyone needs a nuc, even if you all don't know it yet.

I look at my nuc, tt2 and mscaler and with my ipad, I have the ultimate roon experience.
I completely agree! I have exactly the same set-up (Roon Nucleus NUC), and with an iPad Pro 12.9” especially, the combo is made in heaven! :smile_phones:

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #8,079 of 18,897
I completely agree! I have exactly the same set-up (Roon Nucleus NUC), and with an iPad Pro 12.9” especially, the combo is made in heaven! :smile_phones:

Ya, it is a great setup, an ipad or iphone acting as the remote is a genius idea.

Although you have an official roon nuc, I just use my nuc with windows 10 and roon server. I did just want to use roon rock, but there is two things that I need, and that is my plex server and sabnzbd+

I'm impressed at how good it runs windows 10 pro, it's neck and neck with my i7 6700K desktop pc.

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #8,080 of 18,897
This tt2 and HMS combo has spoiled my hearing. I can't listen to tv shows anymore. Even after lowering the tv's volume to a very low level, the sound is unbearable. Sounds from other digital sources too like Amazon Alexa speakers sounds so sharp and distorted.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #8,082 of 18,897
I use Roon with the core on an iMac connected to my Chord gear via USB. I wonder whether using a streamer or a bridge as you do, improves the sound or mainly adds to the convenience. I notice in a recent post Triode User listed a Zen Roon nucleus on one system and an Aries used as a bridge on his second system (from memory). And Amberlamps likewise praises his NUC. If it is about the sound, what improvements have you noticed?

As for convenience, agree completely that Roon is brilliant. Long may the company prosper! It is so nice to be liberated from iTunes and Apple's constant meddling with it.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #8,083 of 18,897
have you tried running your tv through the chord gear? my LG tv has an optical out which I can feed into the tt2 for excellent results, esp. when watching feature films and dramas with powerful soundtracks.
My tv is in seperate room and does not have digital out but set top box has digital out so i will try with mojo.

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #8,085 of 18,897
gnomen is your imac wired in ethernet and do you use usb out from imac direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back