Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 6, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #8,056 of 18,895
I agree, but I also want to say that the forum members represent a very small percentage of TT2 buyers. And the forum members who came across faulty TT2s are a small percentage of happy TT2 owners on the forum. So, in general perhaps 2-3% of TT2 owners have ever experienced any sort of problem with their unit.
On the other hand it would be good to read some sort of a response from Rob or Chord team on all the occasional display noise or clicking problem that some users keep reporting.
If it is insignificant, irrelevant, easily resolvable than Chord should say that for all of our sake and for keeping the reputation Chord has built up during the last five or so years.

Yup, the amount of TT2 owners who post here will easily be out done by TT2 owners who don't post here. Thats owners of both faulty and non faulty tt2's.

Anyone who uses anything but the supplied chord smps, if their gear gets damaged, I hope chord don't replace it or fix it for free. Thats what they get for pissing about trying to get an inaudible sonic upgrade.

Apart from the odd click which is probably just a relay, I love my TT2, it's 1 year old and thus far it's been a stellar performer.

I would suspect that the number of faulty tt2's would be < 1% maybe even < 0.5% given the total amount of built tt2's.

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #8,057 of 18,895
It is certainly making me nervous about ordering one. :worried:

Well Mike, I've had mine for exactly one year, I use it everyday and it has not let me down.

If you were seriously thinking about getting one, I would advise you to go ahead and order one as it's worth it and the chances are low that it will be faulty.

Like my previous post, I will assume that alot of faulty tt2's is down to user error, aka using third party power supplies or in foreign countries, dodgy mains electricity.

Go for it dude, you won't be disappoint !

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #8,058 of 18,895
Yup, the amount of TT2 owners who post here will easily be out done by TT2 owners who don't post here. Thats owners of both faulty and non faulty tt2's.

Anyone who uses anything but the supplied chord smps, if their gear gets damaged, I hope chord don't replace it or fix it for free. Thats what they get for pissing about trying to get an inaudible sonic upgrade.

Apart from the odd click which is probably just a relay, I love my TT2, it's 1 year old and thus far it's been a stellar performer.

I would suspect that the number of faulty tt2's would be < 1% maybe even < 0.5% given the total amount of built tt2's.
You are probably right regarding the percentages. I also love my TT2. Spaciousness and clarity in spades, it delivers an amazing, natural and lifelike picture. It is pointless to talk about bass, mids or treble performance separately as it is just one complete whole, a 3D flow of sweet, lifelike and spacious sound.

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #8,060 of 18,895
Yes, mine did exhibit that warm trait on the unit.

Mine also runs warm, but it's sitting on top of an mscaler and when measured with my ir temp gun, the hottest part of it's exterior case is directly above the headphone output that I'm currently using and, the max temp that I've ever seen has been 42oC and that was during the summer heatwave and in a very small area of the TT2, directly above the headphone output.

Warm yes, too hot no far from it, and it's not worth worrying about such low temperatures.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #8,061 of 18,895
Are all the units having trouble have speakers attached?

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #8,062 of 18,895
Mine also runs warm, but it's sitting on top of an mscaler and when measured with my ir temp gun, the hottest part of it's exterior case is directly above the headphone output that I'm currently using and, the max temp that I've ever seen has been 42oC and that was during the summer heatwave.

Warm yes, too hot no, and it's not worth worrying about such low temperatures.

I hear the occasional click from my black TT2, but maybe seems lessened lately? But my unit never seems to run very warm, regardless of ambient temperature or if I’m driving speakers from the XLR or headphones from the front.

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #8,064 of 18,895
I hear the occasional click from my black TT2, but maybe seems lessened lately? But my unit never seems to run very warm, regardless of ambient temperature or if I’m driving speakers from the XLR or headphones from the front.

Overall my tt2 isn't warm, it's just a small area right above the headphone output that is warm, the rest of my tt2 is ambient temp kr a few degree's hotter.

Normally my tt2 measures mid 30's oC. I've never tried the xlr ports.

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #8,065 of 18,895
Overall my tt2 isn't warm, it's just a small area right above the headphone output that is warm, the rest of my tt2 is ambient temp kr a few degree's hotter.

Normally my tt2 measures mid 30's oC. I've never tried the xlr ports.

My TT2 runs at about 42 dec C on the top and about 40 on the side. It is not used for driving speakers or headphones and is just connected to an amplifier.

It is a nice hand warmer on these cooler days.

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #8,066 of 18,895

It’s certainly true that those who are unhappy with goods or services will make a noise, whilst those who are content keep quiet.

I have MScaler, TT2 and Etude. I enjoy music with headphones and speakers, I have no exotic cables, power supplies, batteries or conditioners and love the sound. The TT2 makes a click when turning on, I’ve never heard a noise from the display, though it’s never been off the dim setting, and I’ve no idea how warm it gets as I’ve lost that sensation. But it all works and sounds lovely.

So there we are, someone content making a little noise!

Dec 7, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #8,067 of 18,895
My tt 2 has a click of relay during power up only. No high pitch noise while display is on. I never needed bright display. It is set to dim permanently. Even during the winters when no ceiling fan is on, the system has no buzzing or noise of any kind. I feed XLR out to XLR of benchmark ahb2. Even speakers have no hissing if any kind.

Dec 7, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #8,068 of 18,895
My tt 2 has a click of relay during power up only. No high pitch noise while display is on. I never needed bright display. It is set to dim permanently. Even during the winters when no ceiling fan is on, the system has no buzzing or noise of any kind. I feed XLR out to XLR of benchmark ahb2. Even speakers have no hissing if any kind.

I've never heard the noise that people say the dot matrix display makes, either on hi or dim, and I've stuck my ear to the thing to see if I could hear the noise and nope, nothing.

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #8,069 of 18,895
I've never heard the noise that people say the dot matrix display makes, either on hi or dim, and I've stuck my ear to the thing to see if I could hear the noise and nope, nothing.

Two, no three possibilities. Your TT2 is perfect, your hearing is less than perfect, and late addition, you are lying.

I suspect option 1 or 2!

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #8,070 of 18,895
My TT2 runs at about 42 dec C on the top and about 40 on the side. It is not used for driving speakers or headphones and is just connected to an amplifier.

It is a nice hand warmer on these cooler days.

Roughly the same temps as mine Nick, which is a good 10+ oC lower than the safety cut out temp.

I was thinking about water cooling my mscalers fpga.

Not really

Users who are viewing this thread

Back