Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 25, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #7,936 of 18,905
Just tried driving ether2 from the 3pin xlr out. I use a connector that only connected pin 2 and pin 3 to the R+R - L+ L- of The 4.4 cable

Tried some songs that i am familiar with, immediately noticed big differences.

First of all loudness level is similar to the headphone output, with se i need +7h with ether2 now +4h is enough.

But i think tonality is quite different, horizontal soundstage is expanded quite a lot with reduced vertical and frontal depths.

Resolution definitely is not as good as se, transparency is lost quite a lot as well.

But the bass is significantly better than the se, All the sound just got a lot thicker with more body.

I my opinion with ether2 that’s quite a big trade off, with this same cable se and xlr sounds completely different with se great depth and frontal images. With xlr it sounds like a closed back headphone with enhanced bass.

So yea...i think i will stick with headphones output. But I doubt if the headphone out is sufficient for ether 2 now. May be i should get a gsxmini to see if i can keep them(resolution&body) all.

What is the spl with the output set at +7h? They ether2 must be insanely loud I rarely get to 0h with my abyss? Are you running volume attenuation in software? Be careful you only get 1 set of ears.

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #7,937 of 18,905
I think i'm going for a dave in the new year. After some research on the PM1 headphone thread i found this quote below. Rob has repeatedly stated dave mscaled is a huge step up from TT2 mscaled. Power advantage from TT2: so i'll never buy lcd4, susvara or abyss. The PM1 drives easily and so do the denon 9200 and sony mdr z1r which are two possible next headphone choices for me. When i tried PM1 out of a non mscaled dave it was impeccable. So it means rationing everything else and maybe in April a dave. It seems a shame to come this far with hms/tt2 and stop now. With one more step i could transform things even more for the better.

There are many stops along the way.

LOL. Does that mean you will torment the Dave thread with the same question asked a thousand different ways for the next 4 months?

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #7,938 of 18,905
What is the question? I haven't asked any.

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #7,939 of 18,905
What is the question? I haven't asked any.

sorry, I feel like I should apologize for my joke. It was all in good fun.

I felt like when you were looking to move from Hugo 2 to TT2, you kept asking the same question (related to your PM-1s) over and over in slightly different ways and just wanted people to support your decision.

But that’s my bad for making a joke that might not be OK. I’m a Chord fanboy and I loved my PM-3s, so I get where you are coming from.

cheers my man.

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #7,940 of 18,905
No no without a sense of humour what's left. I keep upgrading to each chord dac up the ladder and i never have enough money left to try a different headphone to my PM1's. I then start wondering how the Oppo will scale up. So far it's scaled up nicely from mojo to H2 to TT2 mscaled resulting in all of the improved sound quality improvements you'd expect. Reports say it has nice synergy with dave. Until now i haven't found another headphone that matches the build quality of the PM1 at any other price. It's well known for excelling in it's midrange and build quality. Great planar magnetic. It might be a collectors item in the future as it's discontinued now. That's what some people are saying.

5174038_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #7,941 of 18,905
This may have been covered before but I would appreciate it if anyone can give me their thoughts on the better way to connect DAVE to TToby to drive Omega high output SAM speakers, RCA or balanced XLR. Thank you.

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #7,942 of 18,905
No no without a sense of humour what's left. I keep upgrading to each chord dac up the ladder and i never have enough money left to try a different headphone to my PM1's. I then start wondering how the Oppo will scale up. So far it's scaled up nicely from mojo to H2 to TT2 mscaled resulting in all of the improved sound quality improvements you'd expect. Reports say it has nice synergy with dave. Until now i haven't found another headphone that matches the build quality of the PM1 at any other price. It's well known for excelling in it's midrange and build quality. Great planar magnetic. It might be a collectors item in the future as it's discontinued now. That's what some people are saying.

5174038_thumb.jpg

I actually need to break out my PM-3, I haven't used them with my TT2 yet. I never had a chance to get the PM-1 since Oppo discontinued their products. I had a chance to audition, amazing feel and fit.

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #7,944 of 18,905
Power advantage from TT2: so i'll never buy lcd4, susvara or abyss. The PM1 drives easily and so do the denon 9200 and sony mdr z1r which are two possible next headphone choices for me. When i tried PM1 out of a non mscaled dave it was impeccable. So it means rationing everything else and maybe in April a dave. It seems a shame to come this far with hms/tt2 and stop now.
TT2’s power makes difference for almost all headphones, even those, which are more sensetive. While I have to admit that DAVE is a better DAC, there are some tradeoffs and I believe that TT2 is better overall solution for headphones.

I decided to wait for a DAVE2. I hope it would take the best of TT2 (supercaps, high power output and a lot of body in sound) and just take everything to higher level.

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #7,945 of 18,905
Im happy with TT1, just saying

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #7,946 of 18,905
Nov 26, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #7,947 of 18,905
Our grandkids will be driving TT10's lol.

Nov 27, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #7,948 of 18,905
A question for Rob: What do you think of applying DSP in Roon, for example frequency EQ? Does this mess with the signal in a way that would make the time domain reconstruction less effective in the M scaler?

No it certainly won't upset the transient reconstruction in the M scaler, but DSP EQ does have it's own set of compromises - and they are not 100% transparent. The problem to look out for is a loss in depth and detail resolution (note I haven't heard the Roon EQ so I can't comment upon how good it actually is - I just know how virtually impossible it is to do EQ without some loss in transparency). But if the benefits to you outweigh the loss in transparency, then run with it.

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #7,949 of 18,905
I think i'm going for a dave in the new year. After some research on the PM1 headphone thread i found this quote below. Rob has repeatedly stated dave mscaled is a huge step up from TT2 mscaled. Power advantage from TT2: so i'll never buy lcd4, susvara or abyss. The PM1 drives easily and so do the denon 9200 and sony mdr z1r which are two possible next headphone choices for me. When i tried PM1 out of a non mscaled dave it was impeccable. So it means rationing everything else and maybe in April a dave. It seems a shame to come this far with hms/tt2 and stop now. With one more step i could transform things even more for the better.

There are many stops along the way.
I'm also toying with the idea of going for DAVE in the new year. All of my cans are relatively easy to drive, even the 600ohm Beyer T1.2.
My question is: I just love my HMS/TT2 combo. HOW much better can it be??

Nov 27, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #7,950 of 18,905
I'm also toying with the idea of going for DAVE in the new year. All of my cans are relatively easy to drive, even the 600ohm Beyer T1.2.
My question is: I just love my HMS/TT2 combo. HOW much better can it be??

i did some ab test(30min) between Dave &tt2 with the same headphone, .at that point I already paid for the tt2 and waiting dealer to get my unit from the warehouse.

I would say tt2 is not in the same league as Dave. Transparency, soundstage, resolution etc. Dave wins it all. I was very tempted to call off the deal on tt2 and get Dave. But than i talk my self out of this idea. Imagine how much i have to spend in addition to Dave to get all the cable... power conditioners..ddc whatever you name it that will be worthy of Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back