1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, May 10, 2018.
First

Back
469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478
480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489
Next

Last
  1. betula
    I use my TT2 as a headphone DAC/amp. This is the original purpose by design. Driving speakers out of BA from TT2 is sort of an extra function. I am playing with the thought of buying efficient speakers one day and drive them from my TT2, but my life circumstances are not quite ready for that yet.
    Anyway, TT2 is not for driving speakers directly by default. TT2 can do that because it is an absolutely outstanding headphone DAC/amp.
    If one day I decide to push the TT2 to its limits and drive speakers out of the BA at the back, I will really make sure those speakers are efficient and will sound great without making the TT2 too hot. This might mean, perhaps I can't buy the best of the best speakers just a 'good enough' pair, but those speakers will be driven from a TOTL headphone amplifier... Which is pretty cool (and cost efficient).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    musickid and ZappaMan like this.
  2. Triode User
    What you describe is called clipping. And yes, that can destroy speakers (particularly tweeters) at a drop of a hat if you put your mind to it.

Rob has posted several times in this thread about safe levels for the TT2 in high and low gain before clipping. Search for clipping in the TT2 thread.

3. Amberlamps
    Yup, I blew up one mission 770 speaker because of it.

Well, that was after I blew up the glass fuse. I couldn't find another glass fuse so I just wrapped the blown fuse in kitchen foil and stuck it back in the speaker.

Like a day later, boom.

We live and learn.

Peter Hyatt and THGM like this.
  4. Triode User
    I have a friend who had one of the original Mini cars. The oil warning light would frequently come on. So he took the bulb out.

Yes, you can guess what happened.

I think you two would have got on well if you had met. :laughing:

JM1979, Christer, musickid and 3 others like this.
  5. GreenBow
    Actually the TT2 manual states that the TT2 is good for driving, quote, 'efficient compact loudspeakers'. (Page 45, right hand column, second paragraph.)

I believe efficient speakers is the right move.

betula likes this.
  6. GreenBow
    On amplifiers I believe the distortion is down to hardening of sound, general collapsing of sound quality, and general distortion. Not clipping. I might be wrong though, but I am not going to look it up tonight. Far too past it.

Clipping sounds different to amplifiers distorting to me anyway. Clipping that I have heard is when you put too much signal into an input like an amplifier. .. Anyway I will search this thread for clipping sometime, thanks.

The TT2 may well be different since folk are using it at +5 and a bit higher.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  7. betula
    Does the manual define 'efficient' speaker?

8. GreenBow
    Have a look!

9. betula
    The TT2 manual I find has only 35 pages.

10. GreenBow
    It's in the sections:

7. Playback Mode
    8. Special Features

11. Amberlamps
    Ah but, you see, that was the old manual,

John did mention that the manual was gunna get updated, as Rob supposedly made a mess of the first one.

The one he didn't write.

:)

betula likes this.
  12. jarnopp
    I believe 6dB is the difference Rob stated. So should be easy to level match.

13. CreditingKarma

I would think that the difference is also due to the fact that you are driving them with a tube amp. They tend to bring more warmth and can emphasize the bass too.

14. CreditingKarma

I currently have the lcd 4, 4z, and 24 all here on loan. I can say that with my old system of the onyx and liquid platinum the audeze all sounded muffled and dull compared t on the abyss. With the TT2 the difference is even more marked. The abyss is head and shoulders above the current audeze offerings. Unless you are in search of that audeze house sound with a mid hump.

Christer likes this.
  15. CreditingKarma
    I can notice the sound when I am about 5 ft away from the unit. It is reduced when the light is dimmed and totally gone when the display is off. Do I need to send it in for service?

First

Back
469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478
480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489
Next

Last