Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #5,821 of 18,851
I just put it out there to test, this isn't my final setup. I'm moving to a place where I'll have a huge room to dedicate for listening and I can't wait. Actually, I tested a few amps and surprisingly an old Yamaha AVR receiver putting out 75watts/channel made the speakers sound their best. The TT2 sounded very clean but was missing low end impact, even when connected to balanced outs - which was a surprise to me. I was hoping the TT2's 18watts/channel would be the perfect match for them considering how efficient they are.
Maybe you are confusing power and sound signature.
I presume that you are direct driving the speakers. The TT2 is producing a neutral sound signature, with no bass range artificially boosted by distortion, and the speakers are reproducing this.
Your old Yamaha AVR receiver may well have a sound signature with a boosted bass range, which your speakers then reproduced.
The speakers may have sounded good, but you could merely have been enjoying the distorted bass notes.

A higher impedance mismatch between amp and speakers can lead to more perceived bass with a bit more second-order harmonic distortion.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #5,822 of 18,851
Maybe you are confusing power and sound signature.
I presume that you are direct driving the speakers. The TT2 is producing a neutral sound signature, with no bass range artificially boosted by distortion, and the speakers are reproducing this.
Your old Yamaha AVR receiver may well have a sound signature with a boosted bass range, which your speakers then reproduced.
The speakers may have sounded good, but you could merely have been enjoying the distorted bass notes.
Yes, completely agree. This was just initial impression, I will be doing more critical testing with tracks I'm really familiar with.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #5,823 of 18,851
Yes, completely agree. This was just initial impression, I will be doing more critical testing with tracks I'm really familiar with.
I have a RX-A1020 but I have rarely used it with speakers since I started using Chord dacs.
Even my Arcam Solo neo (with the Mojo as input) used to 'blunt' the music transients, compared to what I was used to when listening via headphones.
Now i can direct drive speakers with my Hugo 2, I realise just how much amplifiers can 'mask' the music in comparison.
Direct driving with the TT2 should be an even greater joy. :relaxed:

Jun 20, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #5,824 of 18,851
It might have been the cable I was using. I was using a Dana Lazuli headphone cable for the speakers - maybe I'll make a new cable using some good speaker cables to the balanced outs of the TT2.

Jun 20, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #5,826 of 18,851
I just put it out there to test, this isn't my final setup. I'm moving to a place where I'll have a huge room to dedicate for listening and I can't wait. Actually, I tested a few amps and surprisingly an old Yamaha AVR receiver putting out 75watts/channel made the speakers sound their best. The TT2 sounded very clean but was missing low end impact, even when connected to balanced outs - which was a surprise to me. I was hoping the TT2's 18watts/channel would be the perfect match for them considering how efficient they are.
i believe you. the tt2 cannot miracles

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #5,827 of 18,851
It might have been the cable I was using. I was using a Dana Lazuli headphone cable for the speakers - maybe I'll make a new cable using some good speaker cables to the balanced outs of the TT2.

It is unlikely that a headphone cable is capable of carrying the required current for speakers.

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #5,828 of 18,851
I think that I have a knowledge gap when it comes to the measurement of speaker sensitivity. I connected my HMS-TT2 to my PMC IB1s using a pair of XLR cables wired for the full 18W. The speakers might be described as reasonably sensitive at 89dB. Using the TT2 they certainly went louder than I wanted to listen to, but the speakers did not have that low frequency attack that I am used to. The TT2 was on high output. Extension seemed limited, bass weight seems reduced and in fact I found myself reducing the volume. I then connected the TT2 output to my Chord Etude and the results were stunning. The closest I can describe it as imagine speakers sounding like great headphones. They were fast, uncoloured and arrestingly musical. This was not a permanent pairing but I just sat listening for hours, and kept coming back day after day. I have now been using this setup (powered by Sonore Ultrarendu, Uptone LPS1.2, Sonic Transporter, Roon) into a pair of PMC Twenty 22 speakers and I could not be more delighted. Huge bass extension, as fast as my Stax 007 Mk2. I am not listening any louder than with just the TT2 but the extra power of the Etude is evident everywhere. If you want to know what a 150W TT2 HMS sounds like just add an Etude. No colouration of diminution of the HMS magic but more enjoyment.

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #5,829 of 18,851
Excellent post and insight there concerning the Etude. An amp which has surprisingly little discussion on the forums concerning its performance. Maybe one day when my living arrangements allow i will experiment with amps. When i was 17 i did have a German Dual turntable, Nad amp and Celestion 3 speakers with the titanium domes. For now i live with headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #5,830 of 18,851
I don’t want to start a debate about power supplies. However, I believe they can make a difference. The stock TT2 power adapter is solid, but I would appreciate hearing from owners that have upgraded their power supplies and noticed a significant difference.

Feel free to PM me or post in the thread. The answer is likely already in this thread, but the size makes searching a challenge.

Jun 22, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #5,831 of 18,851
I don’t want to start a debate about power supplies. However, I believe they can make a difference. The stock TT2 power adapter is solid, but I would appreciate hearing from owners that have upgraded their power supplies and noticed a significant difference.

Feel free to PM me or post in the thread. The answer is likely already in this thread, but the size makes searching a challenge.
If you haven’t already seen this excellent review of the TT2 and M Scaler from @austinpop, scroll down to the section headed ‘Effect of Power Supplies’ https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...ord-electronics-hugo-m-scaler-hugo-tt-2-r781/

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #5,833 of 18,851
Perfect. Thank you. Great write-up.
From following various posts on the TT2 since it came out (I did briefly own a TT2) I’ve gained the impression TT2 doesn’t really benefit much from a superior power supply. And when it does, it’s only marginal with something like the now unobtainable double regulated SR7. So nothing lost by sticking with the supplied smps.

Jun 22, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #5,834 of 18,851
(Plus the warranty isn't voided).

For the Susvara/Abyss owners there is an interesting article about the TToby amp driving them on Chord's facebook page.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #5,835 of 18,851
I called up my local dealership and how coincidental that they have one last TT2 in stock. The rest was history, I am on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back