Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 14, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #5,296 of 18,895
I'm almost positive that's what it is. Unless something is loose and moves inside from side to side / top to bottom when you slowly rotate the unit upside down and back, I would give it no worry.

That's how it is. Nothing moves about, like a spare loose screw.

I could go ahead now and un-rap my TT2. However since I have messaged Chord about this, it might be impolite to use my TT2 before they reply. Therefor if I can wait on until they wrote back (which I think I can), then I will. I've actually had my TT2 since Friday afternoon, but have been too exhausted to set it up. I can wait another day at least.

I did tell Chord that I asked about 'the rattle' (haha), on Head-Fi when I messaged them just this night. I mentioned that I was told about the ball bearings, and that's the most likely cause of rattle. Hopefully they will give you a thumbs up then.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #5,297 of 18,895
That's how it is. Nothing moves about, like a spare loose screw.

I could go ahead now and un-rap my TT2. However since I have messaged Chord about this, it might be impolite to use my TT2 before they reply. Therefor if I can wait on until they wrote back (which I think I can), then I will. I've actually had my TT2 since Friday afternoon, but have been too exhausted to set it up. I can wait another day at least.

I did tell Chord that I asked about 'the rattle' (haha), on Head-Fi when I messaged them just this night. I mentioned that I was told about the ball bearings, and that's the most likely cause of rattle. Hopefully they will give you a thumbs up then.

They may ask you if it works normally so I don't think there is harm in testing it.

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #5,299 of 18,895
They may ask you if it works normally so I don't think there is harm in testing it.

I just tested out your theory, and you were right. It is the three ball-bearings in the three switches on the front. I tested it by holding still the three buttons and then moving the TT2 about a bit. There is then no rattle, that was there before.

I hope this unit is OK then. I am guessing it's fine.

(EDIT: I emailed this about the ball-bearings to Chord. Then within minutes Chord Electronics emailed me and said the unit is fine.)

By the way, to folks asking how long the wait and reporting waiting times for their order of TT2. I made my deposit on 3rd Jan 2019, and it was available to collect from the retailer on 5th April. Thee months and two days. Be patient, then folks.

Apr 15, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #5,301 of 18,895
I just searched the thread for the TT2 built specific speaker cables. https://www.atlascables.com/ic-hyper-xlr-zplug.html

Had lost the links because I moved to another PC. With me having a TT2 now, it's time to think about getting some.

This morning I contacted Atlas cables and asked the following about the Hyper dd XLR to Z-plug. (XLR to speaker plugs for direct speaker use on the TT2.) https://www.atlascables.com/ic-hyper-xlr-zplug.html

I asked Atlas the following.

Could you please tell me:
  • the recommended retailer price for them
  • where to buy them
  • which speaker cable they are based on

Very impressively they replied swiftly and provided even more very useful information that I asked for. They have supplied prices and stores, and also information that other speaker cables can be made up. E.g. if you wanted to go all the way. It might be possible to get some TT2 speaker cables made from Atlas Mavros. Although for some of us, the Hyper 2.0 cable would be sufficient, or a great starting point. I say this because we can get reviews of Atlas cables like the Hyper 2.0 here. https://www.whathifi.com/atlas/hyper-20/review Thus we have a guide about we are buying in terms of sound quality, from the TT2 speaker cable. Great news from Atlas, and below is a copy of their email to me.

We can supply most of our speaker cables in this version, although most Popular is Hyper either 2.0 or 3.5

Hyper 2:
2m - £307.5 inc vat (pair)
3m - £354.5 inc vat (pair)

Hyper 3.5:
2m - £404.25 inc vat (pair)
3m - £499.25 inc vat (pair)

Hifi Lounge, Future-shop, Analogue seductions all sell this cable so I’m sure they would be delighted to help.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #5,302 of 18,895
I just tested out your theory, and you were right. It is the three ball-bearings in the three switches on the front. I tested it by holding still the three buttons and then moving the TT2 about a bit. There is then no rattle, that was there before.

I hope this unit is OK then. I am guessing it's fine.

(EDIT: I emailed this about the ball-bearings to Chord. Then within minutes Chord Electronics emailed me and said the unit is fine.)

By the way, to folks asking how long the wait and reporting waiting times for their order of TT2. I made my deposit on 3rd Jan 2019, and it was available to collect from the retailer on 5th April. Thee months and two days. Be patient, then folks.

Someone posted about the rattle before and RW replied that it was the metal pushbuttons.

Hopefully it will sound somewhat better playing music!

Thanks for sharing your lead time. I'm expecting it to take the full 12 weeks I was quoted.

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #5,303 of 18,895
You're very welcome.

Thank you too for posting, because your post was reassuring. I was half worrying, although my feelings are to just open the TT2 and get playing. Not in a rush though. Am listening with IEMs and the Hugo 2. (Hugo 2 still takes my breath away, surprises me every day, and is perfect.)

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #5,304 of 18,895
You're very welcome.

Thank you too for posting, because your post was reassuring. I was half worrying, although my feelings are to just open the TT2 and get playing. Not in a rush though. Am listening with IEMs and the Hugo 2. (Hugo 2 still takes my breath away, surprises me every day, and is perfect.)

Well get ready for the big step up . I love the way the tt2 sounds with the 64 audio A18TZAR ciems and yes , Hugo 2 is killer by itself but....

Apr 15, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #5,305 of 18,895
So my new Supra USB cable arrived. First impression is that it's brighter than the Chord C-Series. It gives my 53 year old ears the crisper highs that I remember songs having. I'll need to put more hours in to see after extended listening. I'll probably give each a week then see which I decide on.

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #5,306 of 18,895
So my new Supra USB cable arrived. First impression is that it's brighter than the Chord C-Series. It gives my 53 year old ears the crisper highs that I remember songs having. I'll need to put more hours in to see after extended listening. I'll probably give each a week then see which I decide on.

It will be interesting to see what you think. I use the Supra and have never thought of it as a bright cable. Indeed for me anything to do with brightness is something which hints at RF and is to be avoided.

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #5,307 of 18,895
Can tt2 be portable battery powered like mscaler?

Also for seedub and everyone would planning to use an ultra high quality iem as primary listening with tt2 be the right frame of planning or thought here? I see A18TZAR is used above so i wonder could it substitute for a full size can?

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #5,309 of 18,895
I used oyaide 5s continental which was good, found chord Sarum t digital more engageing with no brightness whatsoever. Course it’s ridiculous price but

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #5,310 of 18,895
Hi All,
i'm currently using my TT2 to directly drive my 15 year old set of speakers (sens 90db 4Ohm) and it does very well. I am though looking to replace the old speakers with something better and wondered if anybody could give me there experience of TT2 driving other types of speaker. I'm looking for a stand mount rather than floorstanding as my listening room is only 10ftx14ft, most listening is at moderate/low levels so don't care for concert like levels of volume.

I've seen plenty of speakers specs ranging from 84-96+db but the higher sensitivity ones tend to be difficult to audition single driver stuff like Omega or Zu. So looking to hear if anyone has had success driving more conventional 2-way+ speakers and at what sort of sensitivity TT2's 18watts starts to become an issue. I am pretty sure there are other factors to consider but very interested to hear anyway so I can target my own auditions more carefully.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back