1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, May 10, 2018.
First

Back
343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352
354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363
Next

Last
  1. Rob Watts
    It all depends - some amps and active speakers work better in balanced, where the benefits outweigh the small loss in transparency in running balanced.
    If you can, give both a try and see which sounds best.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    zenlisten likes this.
  2. rkt31
    What is the waiting time for tt2 ? About two months old order will take how much time ?

3. rkt31
    Oyaide neo S class usb is imho better.

4. rkt31
    Balance does not have higher distortion imho. It does have tiny bit of less transparency due to some extra analog parts for balance output as reported by some users.

5. flyte3333
    The extra circuitry/components contributes to higher distortion and bit less transparency.... per Rob Watts... can't go wrong when you quote Rob :wink:

"Component count is very important for transparency. Doubling the number of parts in the direct signal path does degrade depth perception and detail resolution.

But there is another problem with balanced operation. Imagine a balanced differential in, differential out amplifier. The input stage is normally a differential pair (maybe cascoded) with a constant current source. Now the input stage is free to move up and down to accommodate the common mode voltage - but the input stage common mode impedance is non linear, and if the common mode voltage has a signal component (it always will have due to component tolerances) then this will create a signal dependent error current, thereby generating distortion. Unfortunately, the negative feedback loop of the amplifier can't correct for this distortion as it can't see the error on the summing nodes. So there will always be a limit to the performance. With SE operation, this problem does not occur, as the differential input stage is clamped to ground.
    Now DAC designers are well aware of this - that's why all high performance DAC's use two single ended I to V converters from the current OP of the DAC's, then use a differential to SE converter to create the voltage OP. There are other reasons for doing this as well, as the DAC requires a very low impedance virtual ground for low distortion, and you can only get this using dual SE amps - another problem is RF and its much easier to decouple SE than differentially - this in turn creates a lot more noise floor modulation, making it sound less smooth.
    But for me the most important is transparency. I had an amp that had two modes - differential or SE - listening in balanced mode flattened the sound stage depth dramatically,and it sounded harder, less smooth. That said, there are circumstances when balanced operation can be better than SE, for example when you are looking at connecting a pre-amp to a power amp, and what is best depends upon particular circumstances. In short, if SE operation is noisy, try balanced.
    Rob "

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-14#post-11772205

zenlisten likes this.
  6. somaz
    I have been waiting since 2 and half months. Still there is no guarantee of delivery.

7. JTbbb
    This make has been recommended before so I will definitely give them a try.

8. CreditingKarma
    I had one on order since February over 11 weeks now. I finally got fed up with waiting and picked up an mscaler and hugo 2 instead. This combo is great and I can upgrade to a TT2 in the future. I just got the moon audio dual bnc to mini coax cable and it works like a charm as well.

From my understanding there have been production issues with having to reject chassis. In my mind that is annoying but also good as they are making sure things go out in a proper state.

zenlisten likes this.
  9. RustyGates
    You will be surprised to find more expensive USB cables don't make a difference, or makes the sound worse. The SUPRA is USB-IF certified - its meets full compliance to the USB standard; you can't do better than that. You will find these expensive audiophile USB cables are nothing more than snake oil. It's even been discussed with one of the engineers from the USB-IF (I can't find the exact script of the interview) but he says exactly that - audiophile USB cables are mostly not certified and are marketing gimmicks (especially the silver conductor BS). Because they are not certified, their performance is not proven.

Basically with the SUPRA, every.single.bit sent from your source device USB port will arrive at the end point which is the TT2 or M-Scaler.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    musickid, JTbbb and iamalex like this.
  10. iamalex
    SUPRA-LOVE :heart:

flyte3333 likes this.
  11. somaz
    I may also give up after another 2 weeks. It's quite difficult wait with uncertainty and agree that at least they are making sure product is of high quality.

12. GreenBow
    I recently received my TT2, and it's still new and wrapped up.

I just now got it out of the box, and was surprised by the weight of it. To feel the weigth I gave it the gentlest of single shakes. Not really a shake, and more of a gentle move in my hands.

From this, I discovered that my unit has a rattle. It's not a loose screw moving about. It could be a something like a loose screw between case and ciruit board.

Although it also sounds like it could just be a normal rattle. Like maybe the volume balls rattling in its housing. However I thought the volume ball was not a loose ball. What I mean is it could be something normal. While it may be just be how the TT2 is designed, it still seems unusual. I checked out an image of the TT2 case opened, that was posted earlier in this thread. In that image I cannot see anything that looks like it would be loose enough to rattle.

To be sure, can anyone with a TT2 tell me if their unit rattles. (I'll add the picture that I meant.)

TT2.png

13. Mediahound
    I'm not going to shake mine since it'a all installed, etc. but can tell you the buttons are steel ball-bearings. Maybe what you're hearing are those?

GreenBow likes this.
  14. GreenBow
    Yeah, when I say shake I mean really gentle movement. Like I only need to turn my TT2 over in my hands, and I hear it rattle.

I think you're right though. What you describe is exactly how it sounds. Like ball-bearings in a mountings, or something in mountings. (It's why I suggested it sounded like maybe a loose screw between case and circuit board.) I do think it sounds normal, but I want to be sure before I open it. If there is something metal loose then I would not be wise to power it on.

TYVM.

(Just thought, I should email chord Electronics too.)

15. Mediahound
    I'm almost positive that's what it is. Unless something is loose and moves inside from side to side / top to bottom when you slowly rotate the unit upside down and back, I would give it no worry.

GreenBow likes this.
First

Back
343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352
354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363
Next

Last