Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 29, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #5,117 of 18,905
All DAC's should work with Roon but you won't get the "Roon Ready" experience https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT

This seems a bit misleading. The DAC itself does not determine what protocol (Airplay, RAAT, etc.) Roon will use. It's the endpoint or the Core that determine that. If you connect the TT2 to your computer running Roon there should be no difference between that or a Roon-ready endpoint connected to TT2. But if you are using an iOS device or Airplay or Chromecast, then you will not get RAAT as described in the link.

Mar 29, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #5,118 of 18,905
This MAC: RAAT.

Bit perfect audio from roon to local outputs. In my case my local output is my imac which in turn is connected by optical cable to my mscaler. It's automatic as roon will describe your chain exactly as it is and will show you which audio zones are available to be enabled or disabled in audio settings. If the device is not stored in roon's database then i understand it will just show unidentified usb device as an example. Roon is not designed to only work with certain dacs etc it is free and open.

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #5,120 of 18,905
Preset tweaks or recommended audio settings are only available to devices stored in roon's pictorial database of devices made by each of the different manufacturers if that helps too. For eg audeze headphones have a whole catalogue on roon. In many cases users would more than likely bypass these in favour of their own set up but i can also see many users taking advantage of what roon can offer here too.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #5,121 of 18,905
Indeed. There will be a difference in the functionality provided by any "end point" device connected to a Roon core and a native "Roon Ready" device. Both scenarios will allow for bit perfect playback but "Roon Ready" extras such as convenience switching or advanced signal path functionality will not be available.
Sounds interesting, can you elaborate, what is convenience switching ? Welcome to the forum !!

Mar 29, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #5,122 of 18,905
To clarify things, I’m going to be using an Innuos Zenith which will be my Roon Core. I will be connecting to the tt2 dac and to my router as I also have a Naim Atom.

If you are using an Innuos Zenith then I suggest trying the facility of creating a squeezebox endpoint within the Innuos which allows playback from RAM. The instructions are on the Innuos website or I can help if you can’t find it.

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #5,123 of 18,905
i'm actually really enjoying the se846, bopping away to muddy waters. usually i listen with mojo and the improvement is clear. Its like the notes are cleaner, everything is cleaner and more precise, lots more depth and spaciousness.

i also listen with my hd800s, and they are much more immersive, i used to think, much richer, more obsorbing. but theres also a driven quality to the se 846. they say se846 is famous for bass, and so maybe is tt2, so together the drum kits are really sweet, the timbre differences between different pads etc.

I was listening all night with se846 and was happy enough, but the moment i put the hd800s on, the levels of realism jumped through the roof, listening to john lee hooker, singing "burning hell" album....

but still, mostly impressed with the sense of depth, se846 are very capable iems.

you know .... i could bring my tt2 to work lol.... why not !!!

instead of 'bring your child to work day' we could have 'bring your dac to work day\week\always' day.

My SE846 just arrived and my initial impression is that they are much brighter than any Mr. Speakers headphone. Sound better than the SE215, however I never listened to them without using the BT dongle. My impressions after a burn in period.

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #5,125 of 18,905
My SE846 just arrived and my initial impression is that they are much brighter than any Mr. Speakers headphone. Sound better than the SE215, however I never listened to them without using the BT dongle. My impressions after a burn in period.
I don’t get bright, but I use the black filter tubes and custom tips.
A good seal is essential for bass, comply professional isolation tips I find best for that.
Took me months to get good fit / brain burn in/ before I was finally content with them.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #5,126 of 18,905
I don’t get bright, but I use the black filter tubes and custom tips.
A good seal is essential for bass, comply professional isolation tips I find best for that.
Took me months to get good fit / brain burn in/ before I was finally content with them.

I haven't changed any of the tubes yet. Not bright as in a bright headphone just brighter than Mr Speakers and the SE215. I have custom earplugs made for the SE215 and switched them to the SE846. With my earplugs I use oto-ease to get a good seal.

TT 2 makes everything better.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #5,127 of 18,905
To clarify things, I’m going to be using an Innuos Zenith which will be my Roon Core. I will be connecting to the tt2 dac and to my router as I also have a Naim Atom.

I am struggling to understand why Roon ‘support’ is needed in a pure DAC with no streaming capability. Does it effect the bitstream that is sent from the server to DAC on the USB cable? Perhaps Rob can make some comments about what exactly the Roon support on the Hugo 2 actually means from an engineering standpoint.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #5,128 of 18,905
I wish, but to be honest, I don’t really need another £6 million quid. Seriously though, I wouldn’t have the faintest idea where to start. It’s also missing it’s sleeve so it’s probably worthless. It also seems to be made from something other than the vinyl that we know today. It seem’s thicker and more brittle than vinyl.

There was a few of those walt disney ones and also one in a sleeve, which is not a disney one. I can’t recall the name now, but it was a band or artist who is/was famous decades ago.

I suppose I will never know if they are/were worth anything and sticking it on ebay is too much hassle.
Earlier sound recordings made from more fragile materials such as acetate, vulcanite, or shellac, so I presume those discs are made from one of those materials.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/earliest-disney-records-12577.html
https://books.google.fr/books?id=jG...ge&q=walt disney records in the 1930s&f=false

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #5,129 of 18,905
Hello all, I appreciate that not everyone here will be using a usb cable into their tt2, but those that do, what are you using?
I will be needing one soon and have come across several. QED, Audioquest, Silverline, Chord, Lush^2, Supra2 to name but a few.

I certainly believe we can do a lot better than the standard offerings, but I won’t be spending £100’s on a cable.

Any suggestions?

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #5,130 of 18,905
Hello all, I appreciate that not everyone here will be using a usb cable into their tt2, but those that do, what are you using?
I will be needing one soon and have come across several. QED, Audioquest, Silverline, Chord, Lush^2, Supra2 to name but a few.

I certainly believe we can do a lot better than the standard offerings, but I won’t be spending £100’s on a cable.

Any suggestions?
Check the usb cables and brands mentioned in the FAQ in post #3 of the Mojo thread.
@Mython only added the cables which proved to have good reliability and performance, so these brands are worth considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back