Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 6, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #4,801 of 18,905
Is there a way to turn the Bluetooth off? I noticed when unit is on it shows in list of available devices and connecting doesn't require a key/passcode

Just curious...

Press the BT button on the remote. You may have activated it accidentally by pressing that.

My TT2 does not show up as an available BT device as I never pressed that.

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #4,802 of 18,905
Press the BT button on the remote. You may have activated it accidentally by pressing that.

My TT2 does not show up as an available BT device as I never pressed that.

On mine it showed up from initial power up

Mar 7, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #4,803 of 18,905
Thoughts and impressions after a few weeks of use.

I bought this with the intent to use at work, as I'm able to listen much more often at work than at home. And I wanted something with less harsh highs than what I was using.
I have about 30,000 ripped and downloaded audio files on my Windows PC. Mostly flac, but some mp3.
I use J River Media Center as the player, along with ASIO4ALL. I tried all the different output modes and for a variety of reasons the best sounding was WSAPI - Event Style. Along with a dozen other configuration choices within J River and ASIO4ALL that effect the sound.

The PC USB output goes first through an Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 3, which is a re-clocker. The Off-Ramp is connected to the TT2 via coax.
The TT2 is set to high gain. Despite listening with IEM's, the TT2 clearly sounds better in high gain. To me, the music's bottom-end is fuller and more natural in high gain compared to low gain -- it has better tone.
I like the crossfeed set to level 2 best.

I'm using a Campfire Atlas with modded Symbio-W peels for the tips, straight out of the TT2.

I'm very impressed with how natural and 3-Dimensional individual instruments are rendered. There's great resolution without sounding etched or bright or artificial.
The soundstage is wide, but not as deep (z-axis) as my system at home.
In general, the music is 'pleasant' to listen to, but not excessively smooth. Despite my consistent impression of 'pleasantness' , there's also great PRAT, good slam, and flashes of excitement.
Everything I wanted in my work system.

Now to compare it with my home system, which is:
- PC with same ripped files as work, J River, ASIO4ALL, etc.
- USB to Empirical-modded Benchmark DAC-1
- Eddie Current Balancing Act with Emission Labs 45 Mesh output tubes.
- High-end power cords, and balanced cables between the dac and amp.
- I use the same Campfire Atlas iems. Single-ended of course.

Soundstage wise, the TT2 is wider, while the BA is deeper. (The 45's have a narrower soundstage than 2A3's, but the sound and music they create is much better to me.)
The TT2 has more resolution than the DAC-1.
But my home system provides SO much more emotion to the music than my TT2 based work system. When I listen I feel like those musicians you see in an almost trance-like state while they're one with the music -- whether a classical or jazz musician, or those playing the hardest rock. It's not something I can listen to and sit still, or concentrate on anything else. I literally feel it through my whole body.

As previous people have said, the music through the TT2 allows you to pick out any thread or instrument and easily follow it, yet the music is still cohesive. While on my home system, individual instruments don't stand out as much, rather everything just seamlessly works together to present a complete and natural presentation that you can't help but focus on the music as a whole.

It's hard to describe of course.
Without taking anything away from the TT2, which is perfect for its application -- if both systems were in front of me, I'd choose to listen to my home system every time.

I haven't yet tried using the TT2 in-place of the DAC-1 at home to know if it would make it that much better, or if it would lose it's magic. It doesn't really matter right now though, as I believe I've got the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #4,804 of 18,905

I bought this with the intent to use at work, as I'm able to listen much more often at work than at home. And I wanted something with less harsh highs than what I was using.
I have about 30,000 ripped and downloaded audio files on my Windows PC. Mostly flac, but some mp3.
I use J River Media Center as the player, along with ASIO4ALL. I tried all the different output modes and for a variety of reasons the best sounding was WSAPI - Event Style. Along with a dozen other configuration choices within J River and ASIO4ALL that effect the sound.

The PC USB output goes first through an Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 3, which is a re-clocker. The Off-Ramp is connected to the TT2 via coax.
The TT2 is set to high gain. Despite listening with IEM's, the TT2 clearly sounds better in high gain. To me, the music's bottom-end is fuller and more natural in high gain compared to low gain -- it has better tone.

I'm using a Campfire Atlas with modded Symbio-W peels for the tips, straight out of the TT2.

I'm very impressed with how natural and 3-Dimensional individual instruments are rendered. There's great resolution without sounding etched or bright or artificial.
In general, the music is 'pleasant' to listen to, but not excessively smooth. Despite my consistent impression of 'pleasantness' , there's also great PRAT, good slam, and flashes of excitement.

Soundstage wise, the TT2 is wider, while the BA is deeper. (The 45's have a narrower soundstage than 2A3's, but the sound and music they create is much better to me.)
But my home system provides SO much more emotion to the music than my TT2 based work system. When I listen I feel like those musicians you see in an almost trance-like state while they're one with the music -- whether a classical or jazz musician, or those playing the hardest rock. It's not something I can listen to and sit still, or concentrate on anything else. I literally feel it through my whole body.

As previous people have said, the music through the TT2 allows you to pick out any thread or instrument and easily follow it, yet the music is still cohesive. While on my home system, individual instruments don't stand out as much, rather everything just seamlessly works together to present a complete and natural presentation that you can't help but focus and the music as a whole.

Without taking anything away from the TT2, which is perfect for its application -- if both systems were in front of me, I'd choose to listen to my home system every time.

I haven't yet tried using the TT2 in-place of the DAC-1 at home to know if it would make it that much better, or if it would lose it's magic. It doesn't really matter right now though, as I believe I've got the best of both worlds.
I think dac mode is awesome with my reference . I bet it will sound superb in your home rig as the tubes will soften some of the “critical” nature of the tt2’s super transparent presentation . This thing is for detail hounds . If you want something that sounds forgiving there are other brands that do that better . Just depends on what you want out of your reference dac . Sounds like u want a bit more euphonious sounding reference . Slap it in your home rig. Bet it sounds phenomenal ...

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #4,805 of 18,905

As previous people have said, the music through the TT2 allows you to pick out any thread or instrument and easily follow it, yet the music is still cohesive. While on my home system, individual instruments don't stand out as much, rather everything just seamlessly works together to present a complete and natural presentation that you can't help but focus and the music as a whole.

I’m curious how your employer allows you to bring all that gear in with you?

Feels a bit unusual to have all that gear but yet prefer to use it with Iems. You must prefer them of course. I also have se846 and enjoy them with tt2, but I haven’t tried high gain, but I will now.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #4,806 of 18,905
All that gear? The TT2 is quite small, and the Off-Ramp is smaller. You can't even see them on my desk with all my monitors, keyboards, laptops, etc.
But yeah, they don't care. I used to have a SinglePower Extreme and the MAD HD-250 prominantly on my desk for years. No one said a word. We're all tech geeks here. :)
It's not so much that I prefer them. The sound, yes. I love these. Having things stuck in my ears, no. I thought about getting the Sony Z1R's, but based on previous experience, I thought there might be significant sound leakage. And wearing glasses with big over-the-ear headphones doesn't help with sound leakage. I did wear the big R-10's and JVC's at work for years though, back when it was more open seating and noisy.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #4,807 of 18,905
I’m curious how your employer allows you to bring all that gear in with you?

Feels a bit unusual to have all that gear but yet prefer to use it with Iems. You must prefer them of course. I also have se846 and enjoy them with tt2, but I haven’t tried high gain, but I will now.

I was actually considering the SE846. How do they sound out of TT2 compared to Aeon or standard closed backs?

I also have custom ear molded plugs for my SE215, they'll switch over for ambient noise suppression, an issue I find I have.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #4,808 of 18,905

As previous people have said, the music through the TT2 allows you to pick out any thread or instrument and easily follow it, yet the music is still cohesive. While on my home system, individual instruments don't stand out as much, rather everything just seamlessly works together to present a complete and natural presentation that you can't help but focus on the music as a whole.

Have you listening to the TT2 straight usb or optical without the off ramp3 reclocker?

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #4,809 of 18,905
That ramp3 reclocker sounds well kinky......:hearts::heartbeat::hearts:

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #4,811 of 18,905
I was actually considering the SE846. How do they sound out of TT2 compared to Aeon or standard closed backs?

I also have custom ear molded plugs for my SE215, they'll switch over for ambient noise suppression, an issue I find I have.
i'm actually really enjoying the se846, bopping away to muddy waters. usually i listen with mojo and the improvement is clear. Its like the notes are cleaner, everything is cleaner and more precise, lots more depth and spaciousness.

i also listen with my hd800s, and they are much more immersive, i used to think, much richer, more obsorbing. but theres also a driven quality to the se 846. they say se846 is famous for bass, and so maybe is tt2, so together the drum kits are really sweet, the timbre differences between different pads etc.

I was listening all night with se846 and was happy enough, but the moment i put the hd800s on, the levels of realism jumped through the roof, listening to john lee hooker, singing "burning hell" album....

but still, mostly impressed with the sense of depth, se846 are very capable iems.

you know .... i could bring my tt2 to work lol.... why not !!!

instead of 'bring your child to work day' we could have 'bring your dac to work day\week\always' day.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #4,812 of 18,905
ooh matron

ss2257151_-_photograph_of_sid_james_available_in_4_sizes_framed_or_unframed_buy_now_at_starstills__28450__21470.1394486731.450.659.jpg

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #4,813 of 18,905
Please does anyone know is there an issue getting the TT2 in the UK , or anywhere really? Is stock coming along, or are the waiting times really bad?

I know there were some TT2 in late January, but I have not heard of any more deliveries in the UK since then. … Any news.

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #4,814 of 18,905
Please does anyone know is there an issue getting the TT2 in the UK , or anywhere really? Is stock coming along, or are the waiting times really bad?

I know there were some TT2 in late January, but I have not heard of any more deliveries in the UK since then. … Any news.

I am in the US and have had one on order for about 5 weeks. I am hoping to have it by the middle of March. I am not sure about other countries. It seems like there are non available here in the US and everyone is waiting. The waiting is so hard after you have heard the TT2 in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back