Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 23, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #421 of 18,907
Thanks Relic that put a big dent in my concerns. Maybe the problem is deeper. When i listen to mojo/pm1/roon the music sounds so beautiful. For some pieces as an example some of Renaud Garcia Fons work on the double bass// the instrument sounds so lifelike and real so i ask myself what or why could i possible want more. I mean how much better can it get. If i go for TT2 it will be my first real (not mobile hifi) hifi purchase in many years and the lack of appreciation and understanding here on my part reflects this. Only by trying will i understand what i'm missing. Out of interest how does the TT2 provide CLEAN power.

Well, look at the distortion figures posted by Rob in his presentation slides. What’s remarkable is how clean the power is throughout the power band, all the way to the higher end according to Rob. This power potential without adding an external amp to the mix means a cleaner signal, meaning higher fidelity to the source. The TT2, to me at least, looks like a significant upgrade over the original and seems to close the gap toward DAVE enough for me to consider it.

You’re right about one thing though, do you really need a crazy desktop system when you are already enjoying what you have? That’s the real question which I suspect you are trying to justify the want vs the need. How much better can it get you wonder? As for engineering specifics, from my experience with the DAVE and Mojo, it’s difficult to pinpoint what causes what. I’d say this is almost impossible as I didn’t design the thing and haven’t tested different aspects during the design and prototype phase like Rob... no one has. At the end of the day the DAVE (to me) sounds cleaner, more dynamic, more oomph, more depth, more incisive, more REAL. I can’t give you a percentage of how much more or how much better because my value system will be entirely different than your value system.

May 23, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #422 of 18,907
When i listen to mojo/pm1/roon the music sounds so beautiful. For some pieces as an example some of Renaud Garcia Fons work on the double bass// the instrument sounds so lifelike and real so i ask myself what or why could i possible want more. I mean how much better can it get.
I had a chance to audition the Mojo and Hugo 2 (not the TT or new TT2) with a pair of Focal Utopias. The mojo sounds great especially at its pricepoint. However it has absolutely nothing on the Hugo 2. In the response to your question, "how much better can it get". Quite frankly; a *LOT* better. Detail, separation and staging are two key areas that you will notice improvements.
I am looking forward to the Hugo TT 2 hitting the streets and plan to purchase one as soon it becomes available.

May 24, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #423 of 18,907
Many thanks Triode User//ZappaMan.

For Rob, I've covered this ground before but i still need some clarification here. I find it very difficult to find headphones that provide comfortable listening for many hours at a time with exceptional sound quality. I settled on the oppo pm1 at 1100 pounds. Before you stated the TT2 isn't all about power as high sensitivity headphones would benefit from the 2nd order noise shaper and the 90k plus taps. However above is a reference to TT2 and its capability for "driving crazy headphones". If my 32 ohm high sensitivity easy to drive oppo headphones were my primary headphone to use with TT2 would TT2 be overkill for me in this regard? (Of course in the future i may purchase cans which come under the hard to drive category but that time hasn't come yet). Many thanks mk.

I compared TT2 to Hugo 2 this morning - and for sure, depth and detail resolution is a lot better - as I knew it was, having listened to Hugo 2's noise shaper against TT's noise shaper. But instrument separation and focus is also much better too; and this is volume matched, using Aeon's and a max OP of 1V RMS - so it's an easy load, with mA of output currents. I don't believe the instrument separation is due to the OP being so much more capable - but there are a lot of other things within TT's design that can alter this too.

Speakers - guys my speakers are gallo strada and brochure says 90db efficiency if I remember correctly. No large woofer in these, quite the opposite.

Not sure if this falls in Rob’s version of efficient?

Any suggestions on how well TR2 would drive these in a mid-sized lounge room?

Thanks

Yes - my speakers are 88dB, and I only use the SE outputs - it's loud enough for me.

I have a feeling that TT2 will work wonderful with HD800S, HD820, Master1 just to name few headphones. Rob have you watched any movies with headphones from TT2? Also will you be at Westminster Plaza Hotel in July for CanJam, looking forward to hear your latest creation.
And thank you for constantly improving your DACs, so we can have better and better sound reproduction, as natural as possible without any jitter and any distortion.

Not with HP, but have watched Blu rays via an M scaler and TT2 - if I told you my feelings about the sound quality my reputation, such as it is, would be in tatters!

Hi Rob when you said about how linear the OP is with 20 Hz at 12W - no change in distortion at all with the load added or not...I wanna say well-done that's fantastic but don't know what that means? To me it means that a load of 20 hz is same low distortion as no load but why 20hz ?is that because the lower Hertz is harder on a amp than say 6khz?

Every time I have used 1 kHz on Dave, Hugo 2, TT2 you get a small increase in distortion - with the second harmonic increasing a bit - so the overall THD increases by about 30%. But with 20 Hz this does not happen at all and this is remarkable - conventional amps will always change distortion with load, as the OP will switch from Class A to B. Even full Class A will change in distortion, as the bias currents are being signal modulated.

Is the XLR socket itself going to be a problem for the large currents encountered driving speakers? With such a small surface area and being relatively loose, aren't there going to be problems with dirt and burnt contact areas?

The XLR's are rated at 6A RMS continuous, so no this isn't an issue.

My questions about the TT 2.

Does it cut power to the rest of the outputs, if you engage a headphone port, like the DAVE?
Does it remember headphone listening level, for next time you plug headphones in? (Like the DAVE.)

Yes on both counts.

Edit - forgot to answer about London CanJam - yes I will be there... there will be very good reasons for you to attend!

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #426 of 18,907
I beleive the xlr is a line out (balanced) not for hp,? There is only se hp connection direct to TT

May 24, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #427 of 18,907
The more I read about the TT2, the stronger the desire to put in my pre-order.

On driving loudspeakers, would the TT2 drive something like the Focal sopra no.2 (91db @ 8ohms)? This is something which I would really like to hear!

Yes - assuming that 103dB is loud enough for you...

Nothing to see here, move along. :smile_phones:

Rob, a LCD4 will probably work best from the xlr's, is the output impedance the same as the front jacks?

If you are using the balanced drive (pin 2 and 3) then it will be double the impedance; but SE (pin1 and 2) would be the same. But SE would give you 114 dB with TT2...

May 24, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #435 of 18,907

Users who are viewing this thread

Back