Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 14, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #3,421 of 18,906
Nope. It was initially said to be the same as Hugo(1), then mentioned by Chord on the threads to be more than Hugo(1) (around double - approx 50K) run half speed. Only in the last few days has it been mentioned otherwise by Head Fi-ers. It really doesn’t matter, but I know how it gets out of hand on Head Fi with misinformation so that’s why I brought it up.

Why the cloak and dagger? I suspect it was to prevent sales moving away from Hugo(1) at the time based on TAP length when Mojo was released for those that feel that is the main selling point. I received a Mojo for review before it was released and when I asked about TAP length it was said they would not reveal it, but it was mentioned to me Mojo had at least equal performance to Hugo(1). Now it’s confirmed to be 38K TAPs.

Anyway, TT2 thread.... 90K TAPs.

Actually, 98,304 -
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugott2/

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #3,422 of 18,906
Well that didn't last long. Couldn't wait to hear it. Sounding good so far.

Tkh3RlY.jpg

That looks gorgeous in silver. Is it a sort of paint finish or some kind of aluminium enhancement?

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #3,423 of 18,906
dCS Rossini, £17,000 vs Hugo 2, £1,800. Is that a fair comparison?

Anyway, I wonder if there is something else in your system that is adding brightness to make you wince? Or maybe you just like a plummy sort of sound as your description of Dave's flatter (ie better?) mids and bass is also not what you like. Bring back tone controls, eh, just like on the old radiograms. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I had Mojo and for me the Mojo was a bit too recessed and had a slightly enhanced richness. Also, don't forget that tubes can be bright, brittle even in their sound depending in which tubes you use.

dCS Rossini, £17,000 vs Hugo 2, £1,800. Is that a fair comparison?

Anyway, I wonder if there is something else in your system that is adding brightness to make you wince? Or maybe you just like a plummy sort of sound as your description of Dave's flatter (ie better?) mids and bass is also not what you like. Bring back tone controls, eh, just like on the old radiograms. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I had Mojo and for me the Mojo was a bit too recessed and had a slightly enhanced richness. Also, don't forget that tubes can be bright, brittle even in their sound depending in which tubes you use.

I wasn’t trying to compare Rossini and H2, just stating that I’ve heard micro detail and pristine clarity sounding natural before, and my H2 doesn’t really do that and to a lesser extent neither does my Dave. BluDave gets the closest but now we’re back in 20 grand land with the Rossini. Plummy? Haha I like that word. Amen to tone controls man. But you’re right, I liked the enhanced richness of Mojo. I’m beginning to realize I like all my gear to tell me sweet little lies instead of the cold hard truth of my music. I can’t handle the truth(see what I did there). But at least I’m honest about it. Not trying to offend anyone here or sway opinions of potential buyers cuz I’m not a fan of a dac’s sound signature, I’m just looking for some answers on what to buy based on what I don’t like about what I have. I took my H2 to work today and blew a couple people’s minds with my traveler LCD-Xs..it’s amazing for a portable or any dac period. But for my end game dac with the WA33 it needs to sound the way I like my music to sound all the time. If I need to downgrade to a TT or TT2 I’m more than happy to. Just not sure which one which is why I’m ranting in here. Weighty, rich, organic, holographic, smooth, not flat. TT or TT2? You guys advise, I buy :)

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #3,424 of 18,906
I wasn’t trying to compare Rossini and H2, just stating that I’ve heard micro detail and pristine clarity sounding natural before, and my H2 doesn’t really do that and to a lesser extent neither does my Dave. BluDave gets the closest but now we’re back in 20 grand land with the Rossini. Plummy? Haha I like that word. Amen to tone controls man. But you’re right, I liked the enhanced richness of Mojo. I’m beginning to realize I like all my gear to tell me sweet little lies instead of the cold hard truth of my music. I can’t handle the truth(see what I did there). But at least I’m honest about it. Not trying to offend anyone here or sway opinions of potential buyers cuz I’m not a fan of a dac’s sound signature, I’m just looking for some answers on what to buy based on what I don’t like about what I have. I took my H2 to work today and blew a couple people’s minds with my traveler LCD-Xs..it’s amazing for a portable or any dac period. But for my end game dac with the WA33 it needs to sound the way I like my music to sound all the time. If I need to downgrade to a TT or TT2 I’m more than happy to. Just not sure which one which is why I’m ranting in here. Weighty, rich, organic, holographic, smooth, not flat. TT or TT2? You guys advise, I buy :)

The other thing just to check out of course is the source to make sure you have isolated any RF noise on the input which can give false brightness. Are you using optical into the H2?

I really like the character of tubes and my last tube amps had glorious WE845 triodes in push pull configuration. However I admit I was won over to the Dave and then the Blu2 going direct into a pair of Pass Labs monos and that way I let the character of the music provide my enjoyment rather than listening to the character of the tubes. With my Blu/Dave I am still going through my CD collection and realising how many instruments there are on the tracks that I never heard before. But, hey, we all listen to our systems to enjoy them so you are right to hold out for the sound that you personally enjoy and I would never knock that.

Last night for me it was the Leonard Cohen CD 'Ten New Songs'.

For anyone interested, listen to track 2 of the Cohen album, A Thousand Kisses Deep, and then listen to the same track on double bass and trumpet on the album 'Nightfall' by Till Brönner & Dieter Ilg. It is complete and utter joy.

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/nightfall-till-bronner-dieter-ilg/ve67xsmg1k3sz

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #3,425 of 18,906
Thanks. I don't have a thermometer handy but I'll get one. I expect it's fine, as, the OT L/R/F warnings haven't come on. Never having had any Chord gear before, I'm surprised at how refined the tt2 sounds. I had expected a bit of a wild child, rather than a maiden aunt. I'm hoping aunty will loosen up a bit when she realises she's amongst friends.

Mine is exactly the same re. running warm. As you say there are OT warnings if it gets too hot.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #3,426 of 18,906

Maybe an R2R DAC if you're looking for more organic analog sound. Metrum, Holo, Denafrips... :)

Dec 15, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #3,427 of 18,906
Dec 15, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #3,429 of 18,906
Hi @Rob Watts i have two questions for you, if you get a minute.

What happens with the 90000 taps of tt2 when mscaler is attached?

When you/others say tt2 sounds warmer, did you engineer it that way, or was it just an outcome of other decisions, like internal component choices?

If you did engineer it, are you doing it by modulating sound frequencies like people would do to increase bass via EQ. But if you did this, that would impact transparency, so I’m very interested in this, thanks in advance.

Personally I think I’d prefer some warmth, like mojo.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #3,431 of 18,906
It's sitting on store shelves 2000 kilometers away. Meanwhile I'm still "back-ordered." MF.

Use the silver one until the black one arrives.

Even though I got a black one, which seem to be the colour that most people want, the silver one does also look nice.

I would demand that your store do a ship and collect, whilst you use the silver one, you have already opened it, so you be aswell use it until your next one arrives. those 2000km’s, that can easily be done in 48 hours, even if it has to go through customs.

Case in point, I buy stuff from hong kong, and I’m in the UK, my parcel was picked up by the courier at 12pm on the day that ends with the start of the chinese newyear, picked up by 12pm on a saturday and arrived at my house by 11am on the monday.

So 2000km can be doable in 48 hours.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #3,432 of 18,906
Use the silver one until the black one arrives.
Even though I got a black one, which seem to be the colour that most people want, the silver one does also look nice.
I would demand that your store do a ship and collect, whilst you use the silver one, you have already opened it, so you be aswell use it until your next one arrives. those 2000km’s, that can easily be done in 48 hours, even if it has to go through customs.
Case in point, I buy stuff from hong kong, and I’m in the UK, my parcel was picked up by the courier at 12pm on the day that ends with the start of the chinese newyear, picked up by 12pm on a saturday and arrived at my house by 11am on the monday.
So 2000km can be doable in 48 hours.

Oy vey. I think I'll just sit and stew. I pre-ordered the H2 when it was first announced... In the words of Neal Page, "I can take anything."

Dec 15, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #3,433 of 18,906

If you were in the UK you could still explore the TT https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-hugo-tt-desktop-dac-headphone-amplifier.html

Dec 15, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #3,434 of 18,906
Hi @Rob Watts i have two questions for you, if you get a minute.

What happens with the 90000 taps of tt2 when mscaler is attached?

When you/others say tt2 sounds warmer, did you engineer it that way, or was it just an outcome of other decisions, like internal component choices?

If you did engineer it, are you doing it by modulating sound frequencies like people would do to increase bass via EQ. But if you did this, that would impact transparency, so I’m very interested in this, thanks in advance.

Personally I think I’d prefer some warmth, like mojo.

It's 98,304 taps to be exact...and they are switched off when the M scaler is connected.

No it was not engineered that way in the sense I was trying to create a warm sound, or adjust it technically by using aberrations or distortions; but I was expecting it to be warmer than Dave, since Dave always was going to be more transparent - and to be more refined and transparent than Hugo 2, because of bigger FPGA (better noise shapers giving more detail and depth) and better reference and internal PSU (reference is from Dave). The surprise is that these relatively small technical differences can give such a profound change in SQ.

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #3,435 of 18,906

I don’t have TT2 yet (on order), but I’m hoping it will do what I’ve got now, just better all around. Right now I’m listening to Dark Continent (Wall of Voodoo’s first album and the first concert I ever went to at the Whiskey in 1982) through Roon->Mojo/Poly->Liquid Carbon->HE-6 and the sound is both very organic and also detailed. I’ve listened to this album thousands of time over 35 years on vinyl, tape and CD, and there is a lot of emotional attachment too. But I am hearing more detail and nuance right now. Simply amazing and if I could hear more detail, nuance, musicianship, layering, etc. from TT2 with a more transparent chain, I’m all for it.

I know not everything is recorded well, but I think some of it is glass half full vs empty. When I listen to things that I never would have thought i’d like, I find that most musicians really are trying to make good music, and so are most producers. This chain can really show that. Is it more revealing of flaws, too? Yes, but I seem to be able to focus more on the musicianship, which makes it better.

But, if TT2 or mTT2 makes everything sound exacting and bad, i’ll be with you, Kyle, and stick with Mojo, which is amazing with its 38k little taps and 4 elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back