Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 5, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #3,166 of 19,009
+1
I'm interested in whether Mr. Watts drives his speakers because it is optimal - within his strictures re. efficiency and volume, as in one fewer box in the chain is always better - or as an illustration that in the unlikely event that you have a £4k DAC but cannot access quality amplification, driving directly is an option. If it's the first, then it's a paradigm shift and Vovatix and Klipsch can expect sales to boom.
I suspect that it will take a year at least until empirical evidence provides an answer. It's amusing that the tortuous and painful to read, "bull in a china shop", approach of a certain member, has moved this issue forward. So, thanks for that. Even funnier, is the fact that I use ATC Actives, so why should I care ? It's called the retiree with too much time on their hands issue.
Mr. Triode, how should I set up my TT2 re. the ATC's when it finally arrives ?

I have to confess to admitting to being a retiree also and probably to the bit about having too much time on my hands (some days anyway) Judging by earlier posts we are not the only contributers who have reached a certain age.
To change the topic am I alone in wondering what our present equipment would sound like if we still had the hearing we enjoyed when starting out on this hobby ? Most middle aged people are lucky to hear much above 12khz from what i have read compared to the 20khz our younger selves enjoyed.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #3,167 of 19,009
I know what you mean. I'm trading in my ATC CA2 for the DAC/Pre functionality of the TT2. If I like it, I'll get a Dave 2. It's the ATC's where the real action is for me though, the ancillaries less so.

You might have a long wait for Dave 2. Rob Watts recently said to the effect that it is not yet even on the horizon as a future project never mind being worked on.

I think you will have a pleasant surprise when you swop out your ATC CA2 for the pre amp function of the TT2. Yesterday I had a session with a friend trying to evaluate a Dave connected to a SCA2 and which was then connected to ATC actives. This was compared to Dave direct and also with a silver wound Music First TVC passive in place of the SCA2. Dave direct won with the silver wound MFA second and the SCA2 a close third.

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #3,168 of 19,009
I have been looking but not found anything published on what sort of transient speeds the TT2 is achieving?

I found some comments on a uplift in transient power but wonder if transient power and speed is the same thing?

TIA if you have some details on transient speed figures you can share

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #3,170 of 19,009
@Triode User , solid advice all around. After posting I had a chance to go back through and read the few weeks of posts I missed (a lot of work keeping up with this thread). I bookmarked your xlr pin out advice so I can make up cables to fit my needs. Generally I’m less concerned about using balanced out, now.

It is pretty clear that my first step should be to spend as little as possible creating/sourcing an adapter where I can connect 3 4mm in-line sockets to each xlr pin so that I can easily swap balanced/SE configurations. This will allow me to figure out which, if any, direct drive config will work for me before making a real set of cables.

I don’t listen to music loudly through speakers. I have a cayin amp that I’ve used for the last 10 years with these same speakers. It offers 16W triode and 35 watt ultra linear operation. There isn’t a drastic volume difference between the two, and I usually sit between 9:00-11:00 on digital sources. Even at the modest volumes, I generally prefer 35W operation, but there are other factors between the two modes.

The only loud sounds that come out of my system are generally during the loud/bassy parts of films. I don’t think I will be running anywhere near 16W consistently regardless of how I wire.

For the record, chord mentions direct-driving efficient speakers in the manual. I think it is officially ‘supported.’

Speaking of the manual:

“The included 15V 4000mA power supply simply plugs into the Hugo TT 2.”

That sounds like output, so I assume I just need to find a battery that supports 15v/4000mA, right? The one @Rob Watts uses isn’t available in the US Amazon. I prefer to drop the tether when I listen to cans.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #3,171 of 19,009
This looks nice: https://www.amazon.com/XTPower-XT-2...f_rd_t=40701&refRID=QDJ4MBTPENJRFFFWJDGC&th=1

Edit:
This maxes at 65 watts, so 15v/4a will put us right around 60W, I believe. I'm not sure what the tt2 draws consistently when in use, but that would only give me like an hour at 60W. The TT2 can't draw 60W in normal operation, can it?

Edit 2:
Found a past post from Rob:
"But TT2 with HP use is 13W, so the 85W/h should give 6 hours... A battery pack of 85W/h or more, capable of 3A and 12 to 15v will work fine."

The link I posted is for something under 60W/h. Should work fine, but may only give several hours of operation.

Better:
https://www.amazon.com/MAXOAK-2006-...d=1544024805&sr=8-7&keywords=15v+battery+pack

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #3,172 of 19,009
@flummoxed I have seen you’re using Paul Hynes SR3 to feed your TT2. Could you elaborate the sonic differences (if any) using the SR3 vs the supplied power adapter with the TT2?

Thanks

I use the SR3's purely as I have them from a previous setup and it seems a waste not to use them. They also avoid having switchers on my dedicated mains supply.

I've not compared them to the supplied switchers although I doubt they will help the TT2 as it has super capacitors. However, it may well be a different story with the M-Scaler.

At some point i'll make the comparison.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #3,173 of 19,009
Fair enough. I will duck out and let @Rob Watts comment if he can.

However it still seems to me that the 'issues' experienced by one person so far are maybe no different to the issues associated with any low power amplifier. And in the case of TT2 I suspect that it may be that its design means that unlike other amplifiers its distortion does not climb dramatically when driven beyond its rated output and this might mean that users can over drive it if not careful because there is little or no audible warning given that the amp is being driven too hard, ie no audible increased distortion. Hence the thermal cut is there to protect the TT2. Other amplifiers without this protection might have carried on with the user being unaware of there being any 'issues' only to have the device self distruct eventually with fried internals because it was being driven too hard.

The sensible advice and surely something which does not need saying is that if the thermal cut out in the TT2 operates then turn the volume down far enough until it stops happening. How difficult is it to come to that conclusion?

To reinforce what you have said here I see that in theTT2 Manual the following Display Messages indicate when there are temperature issues.

OT L Over temperature left - check cabling for short circuits
OT R Over temperature right - check cabling for short circuits
OT F The FPGA has exceeded maximum temperature - please improve
ventilation

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #3,174 of 19,009
To reinforce what you have said here i see that in theTT2 Manual the following Display Messages indicate when there are temperature issues.

OT L Over temperature left - check cabling for short circuits
OT R Over temperature right - check cabling for short circuits
OT F The FPGA has exceeded maximum temperature - please improve
ventilation

Good to point that out. Common sense, good ventilation and reading the manual all help!!

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #3,175 of 19,009
I sure hope so. Mid November became early December, and still no word :frowning2: Just can't wait to hear it is all!

The latest “estimation “ of delivery of the Chord Hugo2TT is “sometime in December “
“Any day “means any day this month and it’s only the 4th. Third pushback since I plunked down the dough. Not interested in another month without a headphone amp in the studio . I’ll buy back my Violectric 281 and wait till chord gets it together .

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,176 of 19,009
The latest “estimation “ of delivery of the Chord Hugo2TT is “sometime in December “
“Any day “means any day this month and it’s only the 4th. Third pushback since I plunked down the dough. Not interested in another month without a headphone amp in the studio . I’ll buy back my Violectric 281 and wait till chord gets it together .

My US dealer gave me the impressions that Chord expects to ship to them this week. The tone of his voice gave me the sense that I should not be overly disappointed, if that doesn't happen.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #3,177 of 19,009
Wonder if the extended wait will increase the placebo effect to the point that if we are made to wait long enough the tt2 will sound as good as a Dave to our deprived ears? Watts did spend a lot of time in the psych /acoustic building . Tension /resolve ...hehe

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #3,178 of 19,009
Wonder if the extended wait will increase the placebo effect to the point that if we are made to wait long enough the tt2 will sound as good as a Dave to our deprived ears? Watts did spend a lot of time in the psych /acoustic building . Tension /resolve ...hehe

Wait time aside, I think preconceived notions about Chord coupled w/ the Head-Fi hype train and a $5K price tag already comes w/ a pretty strong confirmation bias placebo. Chord aside, I don't think I've ever seen anyone make regretful/negative comments after acquiring new toys of sizeable cost. This either means that every higher end product release is God's next gift to audiophiles or that people are generally adverse to feeling like they made a poor purchase and will find ways to rationalize it (burn-in, peripheral gear, etc) consciously or not. I don't mean this in a cynical manner but more in regards to self awareness.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #3,179 of 19,009
Wait time aside, I think preconceived notions about Chord coupled w/ the Head-Fi hype train and a $5K price tag already comes w/ a pretty strong confirmation bias placebo. Chord aside, I don't think I've ever seen anyone make regretful/negative comments after acquiring new toys of sizeable cost. This either means that every higher end product release is God's next gift to audiophiles or that people are generally adverse to feeling like they made a poor purchase and will find ways to rationalize it (burn-in, peripheral gear, etc) consciously or not. I don't mean this in a cynical manner but more in regards to self awareness.

Does it count when people hear the Mojo, then immediately order the DAVE and Hugo2 unheard? (x4 in our little audio circle) There is a qualitative difference here, and for some people, it just pushes all the right buttons. I respect people hear and value different things (sincerely) but when you find something that helps your brain make the jump from reproduction to something approaching reality, that is special.

As always with music, my advice is to give things a listen and see how you emotionally react to it. If the reaction is strong, grab it and run with it as fast as your wallet (and spouse) will allow!

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #3,180 of 19,009
Does it count when people hear the Mojo, then immediately order the DAVE and Hugo2 unheard? (x4 in our little audio circle) There is a qualitative difference here, and for some people, it just pushes all the right buttons. I respect people hear and value different things (sincerely) but when you find something that helps your brain make the jump from reproduction to something approaching reality, that is special.

As always with music, my advice is to give things a listen and see how you emotionally react to it. If the reaction is strong, grab it and run with it as fast as your wallet (and spouse) will allow!

Yeah I'm certainly onboard w/ the qualitative aspect. I bought DAVE blindly (well, a CanJam demo which is not ideal) and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. However I have to concede that if someone put a slew of high end gear (Nagra, Naim, Chord, Ayre, PS, etc) behind a curtain for blind testing, I'm not confident I'll be able to distinguish which is which. Furthermore if you throw in something at a fractional price for fun e.g. RME or Yggy, I'd be even more nervous. Nonetheless I still choose to accept (embrace) the reality of how I feel about DAVE emotionally, placebo and all. I just feel there is a certain level of unspoken/taboo delusion permeating high end audio and I'm okay with it personally, it's part of the fun to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back