Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 4, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #2,461 of 19,009
I have repeated the procedure and can confirm, once and for all, that on my TT 2 when entering HP mode from DAC mode, the headphone output is significantly lower than when entering HP mode from AMP mode. Therefore, as someone new to Head-Fi who has looked at the user manual rather than actually owning one, you must be right; my unit is faulty.

Perhaps the best way for you to get conclusive advice would be to contact Chord Electronics direct. That way you will know for sure and will have it 'from the horses mouth'. Their telephone number is widely available by searching for 'chord electronics telephone number' or they have a contact form on their website.

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #2,462 of 19,009
Perhaps the best way for you to get conclusive advice would be to contact Chord Electronics direct. That way you will know for sure and will have it 'from the horses mouth'. Their telephone number is widely available by searching for 'chord electronics telephone number' or they have a contact form on their website.
I could but it doesn’t bother me at all. I am glad I found a way to dramatically increase output. I was simply reporting to those on the forum my experience. It saddens me that I am then obliged to justify my experience to some who seem keen to label me as lacking in understanding. It’s those kind of comments that encourage me to leave these forums and just enjoy my music without being sniped at.
Those comments are not aimed at you, by the way :).

Nov 4, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,463 of 19,009
Thanks for reporting the issue, it is very valuable information for potential purchasers. If it was mine I would get it fixed under warranty - it would be quite tedious if using in a system as a DAC and you also wanted to use headphone mode from time to time.

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #2,464 of 19,009
I have repeated the procedure and can confirm, once and for all, that on my TT 2 when entering HP mode from DAC mode, the headphone output is significantly lower than when entering HP mode from AMP mode. Therefore, as someone new to Head-Fi who has looked at the user manual rather than actually owning one, you must be right; my unit is faulty.

Is it possible that when the TT 2 is in DAC mode it is automatically on low gain mode? Then when in amp mode - automatically in high gain mode. ................ I have no idea, (and am not being judgemental), I am only speculating. ... I think I thought low and high gain mode were independent, of amp mode.

[On a similar note, thinking aloud, I understand that the TT 2 remembers both rear and headphone port volume settings. It would appear that if you were in DAC mode then used headphones, followed by amp mode and then headphones. That the second time you plugged in headphones, that the headphone volume would be considerably higher. ... However I must be wrong, or misunderstood somewhere. Otherwise headphone volume level would not be replicated in this example.]

Whatever the facts though, I am sure Chord will set it all straight. I imagine other folk as well as myself are all intrigued. ........ I am sure the TT 2 is exceptional though.

(P.S. I did read the manual.)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #2,465 of 19,009

I do not think anyone doubts that your TT2 is exhibiting this behaviour. What I and a number of others have said is that we do not think it should. You are obviously satisfied with your TT2 which is good. However other potential purchasers probably feel they would like official confirmation from Chord as to whether your experience is due to their design or a fault. I think that is the whole thrust of this topic since you reported the issue a couple of days ago. Just for the record I do not own a TT2 but have used Chord amplification for over 20 years and have owned / do own Dac64, TT1 and Dave. As a result I am well aware that their manuals are not always wonders of clarity. Yes I am new to Head-Fi but i suppose everyone was once.

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #2,466 of 19,009
I do not think anyone doubts that your TT2 is exhibiting this behaviour. What I and a number of others have said is that we do not think it should. You are obviously satisfied with your TT2 which is good. However other potential purchasers probably feel they would like official confirmation from Chord as to whether your experience is due to their design or a fault. I think that is the whole thrust of this topic since you reported the issue a couple of days ago. Just for the record I do not own a TT2 but have used Chord amplification for over 20 years and have owned / do own Dac64, TT1 and Dave. As a result I am well aware that their manuals are not always wonders of clarity. Yes I am new to Head-Fi but i suppose everyone was once.
i think you'll fit in nicely :-/

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #2,467 of 19,009
I'm trying to find the TT2 presentation think it was a on here I had seen it but am not having much luck finding it again it was kind of formatted like a power point thingy ma jig

If any one can point me in the right direction or has a link that would be great
Cheers

Edit don't worry I found it thanks

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #2,468 of 19,009
I'm sorry to hear that mate, can you just power down and back up to see if it clears the fault?

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #2,469 of 19,009
Exactly as it is supposed to work. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to test and post your results which confirms what a number of us have been saying since this issue was first raised (not by you I hasten to add)
No worries I should of got off my backside last night and did it properly but I was enjoying listening to it

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #2,470 of 19,009
I could but it doesn’t bother me at all. I am glad I found a way to dramatically increase output. I was simply reporting to those on the forum my experience. It saddens me that I am then obliged to justify my experience to some who seem keen to label me as lacking in understanding. It’s those kind of comments that encourage me to leave these forums and just enjoy my music without being sniped at.
Those comments are not aimed at you, by the way :).
Tony I only said that you were the one that was having problems mate, I'm the thick one,when I say thick I mean solid

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #2,472 of 19,009
I'm listening to Bob Marley and the recording is amazing can't believe how old it is,Elvis Presley recordings are terrible, why they so different?Jamaica is poor America isn't so I don't get it, or did he record in England?

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #2,473 of 19,009
Sorry all, must have woken up a bit grumpy this morning! I was wondering whether it could have anything to do with its connections, either in or out. At the moment I don’t have any other outputs in use. It’s all very odd. I’m sure Chord will chime in at some point to let me know if my unit is not functioning as expected. As I mentioned, though, I couldn’t be happier with the sound quality (with HMS) and the sheer power. It’s really incredible!

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,474 of 19,009
Sorry all, must have woken up a bit grumpy this morning! I was wondering whether it could have anything to do with its connections, either in or out. At the moment I don’t have any other outputs in use. It’s all very odd. I’m sure Chord will chime in at some point to let me know if my unit is not functioning as expected. As I mentioned, though, I couldn’t be happier with the sound quality (with HMS) and the sheer power. It’s really incredible!
It's OK mate we will let you off, must be going through the change mate, bit late at 60 though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back