Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 23, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #18,331 of 19,012
So I got the src-dx a while ago because I already have an hqplayer license and have no interest in an mscaler.

I was hoping to use the srcdx as a complete replacement for the usb input when using my pc normally. However, whenever I use the pc normally and the srcdx is running in single bnc mode, a popping/stuttering sound starts to develop over time. I could listen to hqplayer in dual mode for hours and this never happens. Only when the srcdx autoflips to single does this occur.

Anyone have an idea what could cause this? I really don’t think the srcdx is defective. Tried different usb cables. How soon it happens seems to be random. I’m using the “no cables” angled adapters audio wise sells.
I'm not sure if it helps but the only thing that comes to my mind is that I've had this popping and cracking increasing over time when using with Apple Macbook with their new processor types (M1). It was working great with the Intel versions with no cracking. I tried to google it and it seemed a firmware issue. I even had to switch to another computer as a source. However, it disappeared after some update a few months later.

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #18,334 of 19,012
Could be. The driver on the site says it’s an Asio driver, but when installed it only works with wasapi
Lot of companies don’t have up to date asio drivers, they say the do, but they don’t

Wasapi can be just as good, but not all devices support the config setting ls to change pull or push data. One of the few players I know, is foobar who supports it.

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #18,335 of 19,012
It is actually both I might use it for desktop use as well, hench looking if the tt2 is good enough to replace headphone and dac together.
Also using it as a DAC you could use preamp mode losing the need for a separate pre making a shorter signal path.

But running speakers direct out of TT2 makes for a unparalleled transparent sound experience.

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #18,340 of 19,012
I really did not know that, damn that makes the tt2 very versatile! I could plug it directly in my power amp
Yep
I do that with my Dave too.
Rob's digital volume is lossless unlike potmeters or resistor ladders in most pre amps.

This is specially noticable on a low volume setting keeping the dynamics.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #18,342 of 19,012
I think that is going a bit far. I made some ferrite cables, and take care to feed mScaler clean power, but the change is subtle. Each system will vary, but mScaler certainly works as is.
Not every ferrites work the same.
I made my own cables with ferrites: (can sell them if anyone is interested)
IMG_20210111_201856.jpg

I compared them with Wave Storms and also with opto DX.
As much as I wished mine version was definitive solution unfortunately it was only about 70% in effectiveness or even less.

To my ears (and many others) highs are very polluted by the noise coming from m scaler.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #18,343 of 19,012
Not every ferrites work the same.
I made my own cables with ferrites: (can sell them if anyone is interested)
IMG_20210111_201856.jpg

I compared them with Wave Storms and also with opto DX.
As much as I wished mine version was definitive solution unfortunately it was only about 70% in effectiveness or even less.

To my ears (and many others) highs are very polluted by the noise coming from m scaler.
They look almost like the Wave Storms, 70% effective is impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back