Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 23, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #18,346 of 19,012
Smoother highs I would say waaay smoother. I'm very sensitive to higher frequencies. Definitely there was less energy there. Sibilants were less 'sandy'.
Symbols instead of that 'tshhhh' sounded more like real instrument more like 'taanng'.

Also bass improved as it started to dig deeper with less mid bass bloom and felt softer/fluffier but don't confuse that with flabby or bloated - it was not. It just felt less distorted if you will.

Also deeper blacks deeper soundstage and overall 'calmer' sound experience.
As much as I don't want to mock m scaler in my opinion some tool (being waves or opto DX) to mitigate problem with high frequency noise is MANDATORY.
I assume that could not be the case for older folks or if your hearing starts to degrade in highs.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #18,347 of 19,012
Smoother highs I would say waaay smoother. I'm very sensitive to higher frequencies. Definitely there was less energy there. Sibilants were less 'sandy'.
Symbols instead of that 'tshhhh' sounded more like real instrument more like 'taanng'.

Also bass improved as it started to dig deeper with less mid bass bloom and felt softer/fluffier but don't confuse that with flabby or bloated - it was not. It just felt less distorted if you will.

Also deeper blacks deeper soundstage and overall 'calmer' sound experience.
As much as I don't want to mock m scaler in my opinion some tool (being waves or opto DX) to mitigate problem with high frequency noise is MANDATORY.
I assume that could not be the case for older folks or if your hearing starts to degrade in highs.
Very interesting, your description is making me want to try them now. Here comes the hunt 😂

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #18,348 of 19,012
Very interesting, your description is making me want to try them now. Here comes the hunt 😂
The price of Storms is quite repulsive.
Cheaper option and potentially even better (especially when you invest more money into PSUs) is Opto DX.

I had hard time telling difference between Waves and Opto.(keep in mind that I used cheapo 5v to 9v DC step up converter powered by powerbank. There is potential for better psu like farad3)
I went with Storms only because of less hassle with boxes. But it was not because of better sound. A/B tests were almost impossible to do as switching between took too much time.

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #18,349 of 19,012
The price of Storms is quite repulsive.
Cheaper option and potentially even better (especially when you invest more money into PSUs) is Opto DX.

I had hard time telling difference between Waves and Opto.(keep in mind that I used cheapo 5v to 9v DC step up converter powered by powerbank. There is potential for better psu like farad3)
I went with Storms only because of less hassle with boxes. But it was not because of better sound. A/B tests were almost impossible to do as switching between took too much time.
I see, I use the Bix power battery that Rob Watts told me about and then a CD player via Optical to the M Scaler, as I understand it that also alleviates the problem, but those cables are calling now 😂 😂 😂 😂

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #18,350 of 19,012
I think that is going a bit far. I made some ferrite cables, and take care to feed mScaler clean power, but the change is subtle. Each system will vary, but mScaler certainly works as is.
I totally agree. If you really have so much issues, I would say go look where the problems lie, I can assure you it is not the cable.

We have datacenters with extreme noise, and I can assure every bit of storage units with extreme low latency arrives. Some are older units coax based, other are cable based, (so not everything is optical.)

If it really is so bad, nobody would buy a mscaler. I agree cables can have subtle difference (I experienced that myself too) but is very subtle

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #18,353 of 19,012
Okay it happened it happened at last, I ****ed up myself 🤪

I own the qutest. But this week I borrowed the tt2 together with a mscaler… my god… even my wife was shocked how this sounded on my martin logans (electrostatic speakers)

This is magic… can’t stop listening to it… and can’t go back anymore😂 have to own this, this is going to hurt in the back account hahaha

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #18,354 of 19,012

I own the qutest. But this week I borrowed the tt2 together with a mscaler… my god… even my wife was shocked how this sounded on my martin logans (electrostatic speakers)

This is magic… can’t stop listening to it… and can’t go back anymore😂 have to own this, this is going to hurt in the back account hahaha
Maybe you should consider a second hand Dave... It might not sound quite as good as the scaler/tt2 combo right now, but it has so much more potential.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #18,356 of 19,012
More potential as in? Curious :)
I had both and while the DAVE is slightly more revealing, I find the TT-2 with M scaler a better combination, the TT-2 has a fullness and to me it sounds more musical, now the DAVE can be modded more and it can ultimately sound much better with all the mods, as it stands with both out of box, a TT-2 with M Scaler to me is a better way to go, unless you want to go down the modding rabbit hole.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #18,357 of 19,012

It really is magic, and out of the box with M Scaler it is just insanely good.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #18,358 of 19,012
Never get tired of this rig, TT-2 all the way!
1000122458.jpg

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #18,359 of 19,012

Users who are viewing this thread

Back