Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 24, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #16,666 of 18,905
Yup. :)
Need group therapy now while listening to the amazing sounds of my Dave + Farad3.

1661379338182.png

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #16,667 of 18,905

These Chord reviews don't make me extremely happy. Sure he might not be measuring all the attributes that make these DACs sing but I would have liked better measurements in his tests as well. I had a TT2 and now a Dave + Farad3. Sounds amazing but I will admit I fell for that Chord Koolaid a bit as well. The name/recognition and Rob's methodology all sold me. Just not sure if I was duped or not. My ears say I wasn't but some measurements say I have. Never heard a Mola Mola, Bartok, Lina DAC/Clock, May but curious on how they sound ... especially the Mola Mola due to the excellent measurements.

Go with your ears under the theory that ultimately this is an audio appreciation hobby not an audio measurement hobby.

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #16,668 of 18,905
Yup. :)
Need group therapy now while listening to the amazing sounds of my Dave + Farad3.

1661379338182.png
My next upgrade is LPSU for TT2. I was actually thinking of hypsos, maybe a little expensive, but it can be used in variety for different voltage etc.

Did you try it on Dave?

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #16,669 of 18,905
My next upgrade is LPSU for TT2. I was actually thinking of hypsos, maybe a little expensive, but it can be used in variety for different voltage etc.

Did you try it on Dave?
I believe it will not work on the Dave. Doesn't have DC in. Plus it needs 3 separate voltages to get up and running.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #16,670 of 18,905
Oooh I see the Dave has another option for upgrade. Is it internally with the Farad3?

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #16,671 of 18,905
Oooh I see the Dave has another option for upgrade. Is it internally with the Farad3?
You change the built in SMPS ...

1661382450524.png

Aug 24, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #16,672 of 18,905
Since the casing is metal, whether it has holes or not, it looses heat. It would need vents if it required air-flow, otherwise, holes invite dust and moisture in!
BTW, MacBooks, do have vents built into them, and a fan or two to circulate air. they do get clogged up after a year or so, so if you have one, get it serviced.
[/QUOTE
But then again measurements is BS the 5dB difference is faulty device.

I think the magic happens in the FPGA, on how it is implemented. Ofcourse the measurements do matter, but to a certain extent, a human one, not a robot.

I can confirm my own conclusion. TT2 sounds better than my ADi2. How much better, atleast twice.

There is something alot of these measurement hunters dont take into consideration(im suspicious)

Take the best measures device and see if you can listen to it for hours.

I think TT2 sound has been preserved and fine tuned for long listening hours.

This experience I have not met on ifi zen dac/can, adi2 or diablo.

TT2 is a massive upgrade for me.
Don't let these measurements cult members get to you, the only thing that matters is how you enjoy the DAC, to me music has to be emotional, I get that with my Chord DACs. I also can enjoy at concert volumes for hours and zero ear fatigue.

Aug 24, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #16,674 of 18,905
On the page where Lord Amir discusses how to read measurements, he says better not to rank the dacs but look at which category they land in, i.e. “excellent,” “good,” “bad,” etc. All of the Chord dacs he measured are in the “excellent“ category. He then contradicts this by giving them poor reviews with lots of snarky cheap shots.

If Topping measures better than a Dave, there is something wrong with our measurements or analysis, since these measurements do not correspond to the human ear listening.

These ASR guys need a real stiff drink and some chill music.

Aug 24, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #16,675 of 18,905
On the page where Lord Amir discusses how to read measurements, he says better not to rank the dacs but look at which category they land in, i.e. “excellent,” “good,” “bad,” etc. All of the Chord dacs he measured are in the “excellent“ category. He then contradicts this by giving them poor reviews with lots of snarky cheap shots.

If Topping measures better than a Dave, there is something wrong with our measurements or analysis, since these measurements do not correspond to the human ear listening.

A lot of these ASR guys never heard a Dave or other high end DACs. Without even listening and going by Amir’s specific measurements they deem their $200 chifi DAC to be superior. They blame us for confirmation bias but I feel they are biased with these measurements. Amir is not able to tell the whole story through these tests. There is more to the overall sound signature that he is missing.

I’m being attacked on the YouTube comments lol

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #16,676 of 18,905
A lot of these ASR guys never heard a Dave or other high end DACs. Without even listening and going by Amir’s specific measurements they deem their $200 chifi DAC to be superior. They blame us for confirmation bias but I feel they are biased with these measurements. Amir is not able to tell the whole story through these tests. There is more to the overall sound signature that he is missing.

I’m being attacked on the YouTube comments lol
Yes, they are dogmatic and closed-minded. They worship Lord Amir and do whatever he says. I have literally seen comments in various threads on ASR where people say that very thing: that they follow Amir and buy what he says…

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #16,677 of 18,905
Yes, they are dogmatic and closed-minded. They worship Lord Amir and do whatever he says. I have literally seen comments in various threads on ASR where people say that very thing: that they follow Amir and buy what he says…
I mean I get it. Measurements are great. It’s a way to grade your system but this is all very subjective and I don’t believe the rig that measures the best means it’s the best in general. First one needs to ascertain which tests are the ones that make most sense but tests won’t tell the full story. But you cannot have this convo at ASR. It’s 100% measurements. Nothing else matters.

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #16,678 of 18,905

Haahahahahahhaahhaha, so true.

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #16,680 of 18,905

You can always conduct a blind test with an established and repeatable methodology that allows you to refute the objective measurements of Amir (and other nansayers) demonstrating the supposed audible differences between gear, and best of all, you can upload it to YouTube so that it has greater diffusion and impact into the audio community.

That is the ultimate proof to show that there are no biases (price biases, confirmation biases, etc.) and shut up once and for all those nerds of the numbers, but curiously, none of those who constantly complain about the measurements and their correlation with our hearing threshold seem willing to refute anything, beyond to validate their beliefs within their own circlejerks. :slight_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back