Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #16,516 of 18,495
I have that, with a second hand chord mains cable. It's superb. Look at audiobacons reviews, he reviews the plixir that just powers the mscaler. It also means less boxes and less mains cables. Its very musical/analogue sounding.
May I ask which dc cables you use to both the tt2 and the mscaler please. Which power products were you using before this? Thanks again

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #16,520 of 18,495
May I ask which dc cables you use to both the tt2 and the mscaler please. Which power products were you using before this? Thanks again
Hello - I use the statement ones from Plixir, a bit of an improvement over the supplied ones but not a massive difference. One thing that did benefit the whole hifi is a chord s6 powerhaus with chord power cables throughout. I just use the stock Chord Electronics BNC but will get the wave storm ones at some point. Before the Plixir PSU for both TT and MScaler I had the Super Farad 3 which was a massive upgrade from stock PSU, but the Plixir beats it, but not by as big a margin as going from stock to Super Farad 3. I would have just bought another Super Farad 3 but I had too many components to plug into the Chord S6. Also, ordering from abroad is such a faff after the massive mess that Brexit has caused.

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #16,521 of 18,495
Hello - I use the statement ones from Plixir, a bit of an improvement over the supplied ones but not a massive difference. One thing that did benefit the whole hifi is a chord s6 powerhaus with chord power cables throughout. I just use the stock Chord Electronics BNC but will get the wave storm ones at some point. Before the Plixir PSU for both TT and MScaler I had the Super Farad 3 which was a massive upgrade from stock PSU, but the Plixir beats it, but not by as big a margin as going from stock to Super Farad 3. I would have just bought another Super Farad 3 but I had too many components to plug into the Chord S6. Also, ordering from abroad is such a faff after the massive mess that Brexit has caused.
Hello,
that is very interesting. I have two Farad power supplies for my TT2 an MScaler, both with all the upgrades including the DC cables (silver ones) and I did found them to improve massively compared to the stock ones. Did you also had the upgraded Farad's? I really like the Farad power supplies but I would trade them for something better anytime! Thank you!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #16,522 of 18,495
Thanks for that detailed response. I wasn't sure both products sharing the same power supply was a good idea but it seems to work for you. The wave storms are great in my system

Dec 3, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #16,523 of 18,495
Hello,
that is very interesting. I have two Farad power supplies for my TT2 an MScaler, both with all the upgrades including the DC cables (silver ones) and I did found them to improve massively compared to the stock ones. Did you also had the upgraded Farad's? I really like the Farad power supplies but I would trade them for something better anytime! Thank you!
I wouldn't bother if I were you then. I had the basic farad, no upgraded socket or fuse and the level 1 cable. I reckon any improvement would be marginal moving to plixir. There's always something else in the system somewhere else that could do with a little tweaking :wink:

Dec 3, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #16,524 of 18,495
I wouldn't bother if I were you then. I had the basic farad, no upgraded socket or fuse and the level 1 cable. I reckon any improvement would be marginal moving to plixir. There's always something else in the system somewhere else that could do with a little tweaking
Agreed and thanks!

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #16,527 of 18,495
My personal opinion on this is that people who really don’t like M-Scaler or DAVE generally have systems where their source is feeding too much noise into M-Scaler or DAVE. If you don’t have that problem, this shouldn’t be an issue for you. But without knowing more about your current system, it’s always hard to comment. Since you can usually feed via Toslink to eliminate the noise issue.
Of course, some people just love the sound of say R2R DACs so then they’re never going to be happy with DAVE sound.
Thanks!

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #16,528 of 18,495
Just got my Hugo2 going with the MScaler.

Good lord it sounds good. Well done @Rob Watts .

Quick question: what does pushing the DX OP button do while playing? It goes from red to white to green to off, and makes the last two buttons change color too.

I believe it's intended for a future product, (digital amplifier), but it would appear it's not going to be available any time soon.

Dec 4, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #16,529 of 18,495
Any recommendations for the best cables/adaptors to connect to the Hugo2?
I am using Moon Audio Black Dragon DBNC to 3.5mm cable. In my system, there is little to no different in SQ between the black dragon and stock BNC + adapters. I usually hear every tiny changes in my system( like the difference between all 4 Hugo2 filters ,and the difference between wav and flac in 2Go), but not on those BNC cables. Maybe because I am running everything in my system from battery packs, so there is no ground related RFI. The reason I used choose Black Dragon is the fitment. They never lose connection. With stock cables + adapters, they lose connection every now and then.

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #16,530 of 18,495
I am using Moon Audio Black Dragon DBNC to 3.5mm cable. In my system, there is little to no different in SQ between the black dragon and stock BNC + adapters. I usually hear every tiny changes in my system( like the difference between all 4 Hugo2 filters ,and the difference between wav and flac in 2Go), but not on those BNC cables. Maybe because I am running everything in my system from battery packs, so there is no ground related RFI. The reason I used choose Black Dragon is the fitment. They never lose connection. With stock cables + adapters, they lose connection every now and then.
Very enlightening, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back