My Choral housed Chord Mscaler
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #91 of 170
After testing with a OM1 (62.5/125um) fiber cable vs the earlier OM2 one and re-adjusting i can recommend the OM1 as it has better tolerance and margin. It also appears from the optic units specs that theyre optimised for this type.

20221108_193649.jpg

Nov 12, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #92 of 170
By a request i made a design change on the housing to match Dave's looks even more..
Since i drawed Dave after i designed the scaler i found out how it is used balls, cilinders en egg forms to mold Dave's appearance.

So i took my scaler's top part and removed the caving and button holes, and created a cilinder with ball shaped sides and flattened on the length side.

After playing with the size i came to this form:

I had to position it carefully to let the buttons stick through the flat side:

So subtracted from the top form got me the caving

The buttons have a cave detail too which i substracted using sinked positioned balls:

Now subtract the button cones themselves to create the holes

Now put the pieces together and my housing v2 is ready to be rendered to see how it looks.

Round chamfered corners instead of flat cornered:

Ofcourse lets see with Dave on top:

Housing v1 versus v2.. which one looks better?

A new CNC production can start lol 😉
Well done. I would integrate the buttons more similar to how they’re designed in the Hugo M Scaler or Mojo 2.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #93 of 170
So the desighning continues..

This time creating a Preamp with tailored filter stage (line EQ) for my speakers.
My speakers have no passive filtering on their wideband low-mid drivers, only a cap on the tweeters which is part of their concept.

Preamp.jpg

In my stack it could look like this
DAVE + HMS + Preamp.jpg

The round knobs will be CNC'ed too
DAVE + HMS + Preamp 2.jpg

Keeping short interlink distance from Dave's RCA out.
DAVE + HMS + Preamp 3.jpg

Could also build Anni's internals into this or a balanced current mode pcb to build a Choral HP amp lol
But i stay with Dave's internal one for HP listening

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #95 of 170
Great job!

Btw, shortest analogue cable might not sound the best, try to compare it with 1.5m.
I will have two 6m SE line cables from this preamp to my monaural amps standing aside my speakers..

But rather would not make one and have Rob's EQ digitally.. maybe his new scaler gets that option

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #96 of 170
By another request i designed a addition for the receiver side of the optic link.

For my own usecase i have built the optic receivers inside Dave and this works perfectly, no change needed here.
But since i help others who want to create a link too ive noticed there's quite some hesitation about modifying a Dave.
There is naturaly always a risk of damaging it. further it will void Dave's warranty as it will leave traces of the modification if taken out.

Sure there is the Opto DX solution but i dont like to still having to use coax cables and also a external power supply or battery.
In my opinion its best to keep on the DAC's (and Scaler's) own groundplane and power feed.

This is why i came up with a optical 'snap on' unit which can be directly attached to Dave's dualdata BNC's without coax cables.
Also its possible to tap on Dave's 5v rail and bring it outside to the link attached without irreversible modifying Dave.
For the ones on external PSU's it can ofcourse been taken from the external 5v feed.

To snap directly on Dave's BNC's without adapters i went searching for PCB solderable male plugs
and found these quite sturdy ones:

BNC male PCB.jpg

I want to make the optic receiver unit as small as possible not to have a chunky load hanging on Dave so i figured to place these and the optic receivers on opposite sides of a small vertical standing PCB of only about 30x30mm. Also on this board i placed a standard 5.5mm DC barrel socket as well as the resistors and decouple caps as shown in my schematic in this thread.

Then it came to designing the casing, ofcourse in Choral style matching Dave with chamfered edges and made out of solid CNC'ed aluminium. i chose a 'ying/yang' way of making them out of two halves to assemble using two tapered M2 bolts which i chose to put on Dave's side. The male BNC's and optic ST barrels sticking through holes at both sides. Since i dont need nuts to mount the ST barrels i have the option to get metal barreled ones without thread (MT version).

Optic all sides.jpg

Exploded it lookes like this inside, it took some puzzling to squeeze the components in a way the tracks wont collide.

exploded.jpg

Since most users put Dave in standby with the remote rather than make it net powerless, i figured to take out the back switch and replace it with a 5.5mm DC socket mounted in a small plate which i could 3D print. Inside i wire it to the SMPS molex connector using a adapter which can be plugged easily.

Link RK boxed + Dave switch swap.jpg

And finally pictures of the link receiver attached to Dave: I chose to make the link casing 1cm lower than Dave's surface so its less prominent in sight.

Link RK boxed + Dave front.jpg

Attached to BNC's 1&2: the USB inlet keeps clear, but the AES is covered. The purpose is to be RF free, so no other inputs should be used anyway.

Link RK boxed + Dave back 2.jpg

I would choose to connect it to BNC's 3&4 to be closer to the power feed, the toslinks are free accessible here.
It can be bought a ready made short DC barrel to DC barrel cable of 10 or 20cm length.

Link RK boxed + Dave back.jpg

Link RK boxed + Dave side.jpg

Underside of the casing is in line with Dave.
Link RK boxed + Dave aligned under.jpg

Something came to mind being one can accidently put in Mscaler's DC plug applying 15v to the link unit or Dave, so i reversed polarity of the DC socket (middle pin is ground) and a schottky diode in series to prevent damage this way, a current cant flow in reverse direction.
In Dave i put a 100ohm resistor in series with the voltage output which is neglible for the link's 100mA current draw but prevents a possible shortcut.

I'm thinking to design also a link casing for stock HMS on which the 15v power is linked through (two DC sockets) and using a voltage pot devider to make around 5v for TX. but thats perhaps a next chapter.

Happy listening all, keep enjoying blissful sound :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #98 of 170
Is there a typo?
Should 'PCB of only about 30x30cm' be 'PCB of only about 30x30mm'?
True.. thx for pointing i corrected it.
The pcb is drawn in autocad.. i must make a gerber capable drawing of it still..

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #99 of 170
By another request i designed a addition for the receiver side of the optic link.

For my own usecase i have built the optic receivers inside Dave and this works perfectly, no change needed here.
But since i help others who want to create a link too ive noticed there's quite some hesitation about modifying a Dave.
There is naturaly always a risk of damaging it. further it will void Dave's warranty as it will leave traces of the modification if taken out.

Sure there is the Opto DX solution but i dont like to still having to use coax cables and also a external power supply or battery.
In my opinion its best to keep on the DAC's (and Scaler's) own groundplane and power feed.

This is why i came up with a optical 'snap on' unit which can be directly attached to Dave's dualdata BNC's without coax cables.
Also its possible to tap on Dave's 5v rail and bring it outside to the link attached without irreversible modifying Dave.
For the ones on external PSU's it can ofcourse been taken from the external 5v feed.

To snap directly on Dave's BNC's without adapters i went searching for PCB solderable male plugs

BNC male PCB.jpg

I want to make the optic receiver unit as small as possible not to have a chunky load hanging on Dave so i figured to place these and the optic receivers on opposite sides of a small vertical standing PCB of only about 30x30mm. Also on this board i placed a standard 5.5mm DC barrel socket as well as the resistors and decouple caps as shown in my schematic in this thread.

Then it came to designing the casing, ofcourse in Choral style matching Dave with chamfered edges and made out of solid CNC'ed aluminium. i chose a 'ying/yang' way of making them out of two halves to assemble using two tapered M2 bolts which i chose to put on Dave's side. The male BNC's and optic ST barrels sticking through holes at both sides. Since i dont need nuts to mount the ST barrels i have the option to get metal barreled ones without thread (MT version).

Optic all sides.jpg

Exploded it lookes like this inside, it took some puzzling to squeeze the components in a way the tracks wont collide.

exploded.jpg

Since most users put Dave in standby with the remote rather than make it net powerless, i figured to take out the back switch and replace it with a 5.5mm DC socket mounted in a small plate which i could 3D print. Inside i wire it to the SMPS molex connector using a adapter which can be plugged easily.

And finally pictures of the link receiver attached to Dave: I chose to make the link casing 1cm lower than Dave's surface so its less prominent in sight.

Attached to BNC's 1&2: the USB inlet keeps clear, but the AES is covered. The purpose is to be RF free, so no other inputs should be used anyway.

I would choose to connect it to BNC's 3&4 to be closer to the power feed, the toslinks are free accessible here.
It can be bought a ready made short DC barrel to DC barrel cable of 10 or 20cm length.

Something came to mind being one can accidently put in Mscaler's DC plug applying 15v to the link unit or Dave, so i reversed polarity of the DC socket (middle pin is ground) and a schottky diode in series to prevent damage this way, a current cant flow in reverse direction.
In Dave i put a 100ohm resistor in series with the voltage output which is neglible for the link's 100mA current draw but prevents a possible shortcut.

I'm thinking to design also a link casing for stock HMS on which the 15v power is linked through (two DC sockets) and using a voltage pot devider to make around 5v for TX. but thats perhaps a next chapter.

You just keep impressing!

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #100 of 170

BNC male PCB.jpg

Optic all sides.jpg

exploded.jpg

Wouldn t that work with a TT2 too?

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #101 of 170
Wouldn t that work with a TT2 too?

Yep. Also Qutest. I dont know the distance between TT's dual data BNC's. For Dave its 16mm

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #104 of 170
By a request i made a design change on the housing to match Dave's looks even more..
Since i drawed Dave after i designed the scaler i found out how it is used balls, cilinders en egg forms to mold Dave's appearance.

So i took my scaler's top part and removed the caving and button holes, and created a cilinder with ball shaped sides and flattened on the length side.

After playing with the size i came to this form:
Cilinder cutout.jpg

I had to position it carefully to let the buttons stick through the flat side:
Cilinder cutout 3.jpg

So subtracted from the top form got me the caving
Cilinder cutout 2.jpg

The buttons have a cave detail too which i substracted using sinked positioned balls:
ball button cutout.jpg

Now subtract the button cones themselves to create the holesball button cutout 2.jpg

Now put the pieces together and my housing v2 is ready to be rendered to see how it looks.

HMS v2 b.jpg

Round chamfered corners instead of flat cornered:
HMS v2 c.jpg

Ofcourse lets see with Dave on top:
DAVE + HMS v2.jpg

DAVE + HMS v2 b.jpg

Housing v1 versus v2.. which one looks better?
HMS v1 vs v2.jpg

A new CNC production can start lol 😉

And so being continued.. The new design is CNCed and ready to get a Mscaler PCB.
Looking even more like Dave..

5FC46709-79B0-4F24-9EC9-45CFE1BAAEBA-2.jpg

8E4EF179-E5A6-4233-AED1-3D85FD0A3F8F-2.jpg

And then my next project.. the EQed preamp to go with my speakers.. my choral pre is ready to be shipped too.. lets see if also here the PCB and Alps RK27 pots fits..

F83C1BFA-970B-471D-8B74-4E8329637071-2.jpg

The knobs are solid made and sandblasted
D68D259B-746A-4788-92F5-433D296DF65B-1.jpg

More exciting times are ahead 😁

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #105 of 170
I havent yet posted the result of my preamp design.. its been made and use it with my speakers.

Stack from bottom to top:
Mscaler Preamp and Dave
20221229_222830.jpg

The RCA's in and out are put fairly close to the ones on Dave at the same distance to keep the interlinks short. The 2 DC sockets on the right are to switch the mono amps on.
20221229_223033.jpg

20221229_222953.jpg

Inside its 1970's made discrete EQ tech complemented with RK27 Alps pots for volume and tone. When switched off 3 relays disconnect it entirely from Dave's RCA's including ground. So when using headphones theres no groundloop possible.

The speaker and Denon POA S10 amp used with it
IMG-20221231-WA0001.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back