My Choral housed Chord Mscaler
Oct 10, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #61 of 170
Take a look at KiCAD. Fantastic free layout software.
Can this import a ready made layout from acad (dwg / dxf) and output a Gerber?

Many programs require inputting a schematic and wont just let you draw the tracks and output.

Oct 11, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #62 of 170
Can this import a ready made layout from acad (dwg / dxf) and output a Gerber?

Many programs require inputting a schematic and wont just let you draw the tracks and output.
You can import dfx for components, board etc. worse case you will need to trace the tracks.

Oct 11, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #63 of 170
So i did a little test.
I connected a additional toslink cable between Mscaler and Dave and set the scaler to 192k.

Now A-B between this and my optical link.
I tried hard on different songs but can hear zero difference on this bitrate between them.
But then i skip to M setting.. ohmy..

Both are RF free in this test.

20221003_232818.jpg
Astonishing! Congratulations, totally thrilled that your hard work paid off.

Oct 11, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #65 of 170
When @Reactcore gets the optic link pcb sorted out I'm totally up for having him install it in my mscaler and DAVE.

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #66 of 170
When @Reactcore gets the optic link pcb sorted out I'm totally up for having him install it in my mscaler and DAVE.
I had a long night working on that Kicad PCB program. I have to learn using it and draw over my Acad design from scratch.. but im getting there. Its actually fun.

Then pick a manufacturer ..order and wait..
Offcourse with my headphones on 😁

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #67 of 170
Right.. today they came.. the chips i had most hopes on with better r/f times.. but my second choice is working flawlessly.
I ordered them together.

Shall i build another test PCB.. hm
They are one size bigger(also 14p)

20221012_192429.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #69 of 170
I volunteer for testing with SRC-USB, mscaler and TT2.
With the current 74ACT00 logic chips on my test PCB it took a bit critical adjustment using the pots to find the optimal led current, RC and phase shift to get the dual link synchronised and working switching between 705.6k and 768k without audio dropouts.

It seems 705.6k has a slight different optimal setting than 768k. So i seeked the middle (overlapping) setting of both.

My new PCB should better the tolerance
(But may also degrades it instead)

Anyway its easier to try different chip types (with same footprint) once i ordered a pile of those PCB's

But this last chips i got are in SOP14 package vs the smaller SSOP14 i use now in my scaler

Now listening to Charlie Byrd The Guitar Artistry 1960 44.1/16 RBCD
Just astonishing detail and reflections in the room

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #70 of 170
Ok the PCB design is ready and submitted to a manufacturer.
lets see what they report back. If all is ok i order 10 pieces.

@paulrbarnard Thanks for the tip, of 4 programs i tried this was the best understandable one :)

Topside PCB.jpg

Underside PCB.jpg

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #71 of 170

@paulrbarnard Thanks for the tip, of 4 programs i tried this was the best understandable one :)

With each of your posts I just get more excited! 🤯😳

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #72 of 170
With each of your posts I just get more excited! 🤯😳
Im actually a amature playing around 😂
Far away from a theoretical mastermind.

But i worked alot repairing all kinds of electronics and am really patient in reasoning

As long it gets me there.. its all worth it

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #73 of 170

Topside PCB.jpg

Underside PCB.jpg
I find KiCAD to be exceptionally good. Especially considering the price. I’m pleased it worked out for you.

I’m loving your project!!

Oct 17, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #74 of 170
My PCB files passed checking and 10 pieces are made and being shipped.

I have only 2 optic TX units which are in my mscaler now.. i will report back once placed over and tested.

In meantime i ordered a mainboard for my Wyse audio server with a onboard optical SFP slot.. so no external converters with PSU (im still using copper to my network)
I already added a toslink out.

So it will look like this with SFP:
s-l400-1.jpg

I found this increddible advertisement
New for $35 in USA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234356619377
If youre in USA and in for making your own 'optical rendu' server i would jump on this.

But they dont ship to Netherlands so i have to settle with a board instead to place in my unit.

I was playing with the idea to design a Choral housed server using a smaller fanless Dell board. (3030lt) But it will be for another day..
i have other mods planned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back