Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 29, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #16,501 of 18,495
Any recommendations for the best cables/adaptors to connect to the Hugo2?
Hmm, I don’t think that’s been asked before. /s

But there is scientific merit to using cables with certain ferrites to reduce noise being transmitted from the mScaler to TT2/Dave/H2. There is a lot in this thread if you search for “ferrite” and some of the cable makers make adapters, too.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #16,502 of 18,495
As an owner of Mscaler, tt2 and a few other Chord products, im going to be getting a Dave soon so i have a black Mscaler almost new that im letting go to a new home for less than half price, cones with receipt under warranty, as new .
Am Australian in Philippines at present, maybe someone wants a nice Xmas present

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #16,503 of 18,495
@Annarob1947 Unless selling to fund Dave.. i should keep it to complement it.. at least have a good listen

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #16,505 of 18,495
I find that i prefer tt2 without so funds can be spent elsewhere.
Mscaler is subjective to a persons hearing.
True imo its track (read adc and record mastering) dependant.

Have you tried toslink out of mscaler to TT2 once with nothing else connected to TT2?

I know you get max 250k taps but you can hear it RF free linked then. It made me create my dual data optic link.

Dec 3, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #16,508 of 18,495
Hi everyone! I'm new here and am thinking of getting an mscaler and a dave. But I've read so many posts now and it looks like people don't like the sound unless one adds all kinds of expensive cables, adaptors, junction boxes, power supplies, and all manner of stuff.

My question is can you just buy a mscaler and dave and get great sound out of the box or does it sound pretty obiously lame unless you do a zillion expensive system mods?

I live in a very rural area so I can't test listen to them.

TIA!

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #16,510 of 18,495
Hi everyone! I'm new here and am thinking of getting an mscaler and a dave. But I've read so many posts now and it looks like people don't like the sound unless one adds all kinds of expensive cables, adaptors, junction boxes, power supplies, and all manner of stuff.

My question is can you just buy a mscaler and dave and get great sound out of the box or does it sound pretty obiously lame unless you do a zillion expensive system mods?

TIA!
I haven’t added all manner of stuff, apart from the Wave Cables, and enjoy the sound very much. If you are using the headphone out of Dave, just be aware some folks don’t believe it does justice to the harder to drive headphones. I don’t own hard to drive headphones.

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #16,512 of 18,495
Does anybody have any experience of plixir products? I see that they make a power supply with dual output at 15v specifically for the tt2 and mscaler combo and I am not sure if it's worth a punt?
I have that, with a second hand chord mains cable. It's superb. Look at audiobacons reviews, he reviews the plixir that just powers the mscaler. It also means less boxes and less mains cables. Its very musical/analogue sounding.

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #16,513 of 18,495

TIA!
My personal opinion on this is that people who really don’t like M-Scaler or DAVE generally have systems where their source is feeding too much noise into M-Scaler or DAVE. If you don’t have that problem, this shouldn’t be an issue for you. But without knowing more about your current system, it’s always hard to comment. Since you can usually feed via Toslink to eliminate the noise issue.
Of course, some people just love the sound of say R2R DACs so then they’re never going to be happy with DAVE sound.

Dec 3, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #16,514 of 18,495
Does anybody have any experience of plixir products? I see that they make a power supply with dual output at 15v specifically for the tt2 and mscaler combo and I am not sure if it's worth a punt?
I use two BAC150. Very happy, got them after @Triode User recommended them. I have no experience of the BDC line but would not hecitate buying more from plixir.

Dec 3, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #16,515 of 18,495
I use two BAC150. Very happy, got them after @Triode User recommended them. I have no experience of the BDC line but would not hecitate buying more from plixir.
Glad to have been of help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back