Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 30, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #16,276 of 18,414
N
And another person who found the M Scaler as sold degraded the sound of their (Chord) DAC.

Not really i also have the same conclusion on my dave with scaler but much depends on the amplifier and speakers to reveal that issue.

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #16,278 of 18,414
Can you clarify please? Are you saying that in your experience an unmodified M Scaler made a DAVE sound worse if you have a revealing system?
I actually can understand what people mean.
Copper connection can degrade Mscaler performance to the level it sounds harsch and piercing.

Theres alot RF radiating from the coax.
And its not only from the net.
I see it live happening on my optical test setup

I run coax from Mscaler over 30cm then dc decouple and over 10cm wires to the optic sender.. if i even hold the 2 wires close together i see interference on the signal and the sound even drops..

20220930_220923.jpg

See here the signal on 2x 384khz on my scope
Wires apart
IMG-20220925-WA0009.jpeg

Wires close together (not touching)
IMG-20220925-WA0011.jpeg

This is why i want to keep the electric signal inside the Mscaler and straight optical out.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #16,279 of 18,414
Sep 30, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #16,280 of 18,414
Interesting. That’s another person who found an M Scaler as supplied was not an improvement over their DAC.
This isn’t something isolated to chord equipment I noticed a big improvement getting my RME ADI off of mains and battery powered as well as optically isolated. Id also say any piece of audio equipment takes some time to get set up optimally I have a tube amp that took a while to get sounding its best by isolating through transformer. My raspberry pi2aes sounded better off of battery and then separately powering the audio board was another big improvement.

There honestly isn’t a single piece of audio equipment that I have owned that didn’t require some thoughtful setup. The chord TT2 by itself probably comes closest because of the capacitor aided power supply that thing is pretty bullet proof but even that improved getting it off of mains. The reason for it is your refrigerator, washing machines microwaves all put a large amount of noise on your mains power. You can spend a lot of money cleaning it up or filtering it out but batteries are cheap easy and work perfectly and the same goes with optical cables.

The fact that you can run chord gear off of battery is one of the main reasons I chose them and if I didn’t like the results of this I would have sold either the TT or the m scaler and I haven’t done either so I think that speaks a lot to their quality.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #16,281 of 18,414
Interesting. That’s another person who found an M Scaler as supplied was not an improvement over their DAC.
Interesting, the M Scaler did the opposite with my Chord DAC, it made it sound better in every way. All I had to do was use a double Shielded coax cable that cost me $60 bucks, which also has good copper. Didn't even try the Chord supplied BNC cables.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #16,283 of 18,414
My Mscaler experience with TT2 and Dave were both very positive, enhancing all areas. Setup is, indeed important. IMHO the Wavestorm cables are a must for Mscaler.
I've had all kinds of people listen to my system. Chord blows away all their stuff, including expensive gear, even tube lovers are floored. The Combination of Chord and Parasound is out of this world. Truly crazy synergy.

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #16,285 of 18,414
My Mscaler experience with TT2 and Dave were both very positive, enhancing all areas. Setup is, indeed important. IMHO the Wavestorm cables are a must for Mscaler.

This pretty much echoes my experience, correct set up was crucial to achieve optimal performance. Adding the Wave BNC cables just brought everything to a different level, not necessarily essential, but in my opinion the improvement with the Wave cables in place more than justified the financial outlay.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #16,286 of 18,414
Reaching out to all the Hugo2 + MScalers users here.

I'm a new owner of a the Hugo2 and I absolutely love the musicality and dimensionality the H2 brings to my music, so much so, that I'm considering on purchasing the HMS to complement my DAC hopefully before year end if funds permit. I will be purchasing the Moon Audio Black Dragon Dual BNC to mini coax cable to connect the H2 to the HMS, and this stack will be used to drive my Focal Stellia HP exclusively.

The vast majority of reviews here seem to come from TT2 and HMS owners, but seldom from those who have their H2 hooked up to the MHS. Please could you share your experiences on whether the upgrade is noticeable? I have trawled through the last few hundred pages of this thread, and it has been some interesting reading.

The main genre of music I listen to are mainly rock, metal and symphonic metal Hi-Res tracks streamed via Qobuz.

TLDR;
1. Looking for experiences from H2 + HMS owners
2. Wanting to know if HMS is worth the purchase given my use case and music genres I'm into, and exclusively only listen to Hi-Res tracks via Qobuz.
3. Will I be able to achieve full 1M taps from the 2BNC --> mini coax cable from Moon Audio?
4. Budget is limited to HMS, so will not consider TT2 + HMS stack

Many thanks

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #16,287 of 18,414
Wanting to know if HMS is worth the purchase

Im not owning a H2 but had the Qutest for quite a time. Qutest has H2 code and tap count.

Although i also noticed at that time many saying HMS was special for TT2 and one shouldnt add it to a 'less expensive' DAC.
I found the upgrade to Qutest major.. most of the time correcting algorythm happends in HMS and the DAC is just the final step.

H2 even has a advantage over desktop units being battery operated and free from net noise.
Rob told many times he took those two in the plane. (I guess still does)

Im sure it will be worth it.. even if later you would want to upgrade further.. you have your mobile stack for on the go.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #16,288 of 18,414
Reaching out to all the Hugo2 + MScalers users here.

I'm a new owner of a the Hugo2 and I absolutely love the musicality and dimensionality the H2 brings to my music, so much so, that I'm considering on purchasing the HMS to complement my DAC hopefully before year end if funds permit. I will be purchasing the Moon Audio Black Dragon Dual BNC to mini coax cable to connect the H2 to the HMS, and this stack will be used to drive my Focal Stellia HP exclusively.

The vast majority of reviews here seem to come from TT2 and HMS owners, but seldom from those who have their H2 hooked up to the MHS. Please could you share your experiences on whether the upgrade is noticeable? I have trawled through the last few hundred pages of this thread, and it has been some interesting reading.

The main genre of music I listen to are mainly rock, metal and symphonic metal Hi-Res tracks streamed via Qobuz.

TLDR;
1. Looking for experiences from H2 + HMS owners
2. Wanting to know if HMS is worth the purchase given my use case and music genres I'm into, and exclusively only listen to Hi-Res tracks via Qobuz.
3. Will I be able to achieve full 1M taps from the 2BNC --> mini coax cable from Moon Audio?
4. Budget is limited to HMS, so will not consider TT2 + HMS stack

Many thanks
It's not a set-up I run often, as the Hugo 2 I usually run with the 2go, but I do give it a go sometimes.

The best way to describe the improvement with the MScaler is that the music sounds more open and free. Turning the OP SR back to red (no up-sampling) on the MScaler and the Hugo 2 sounds more constricted and closed-in. The change to using the MScaler is not dramatic in an overt way, like a frequency response change is (eg: increasing the bass or something like that) -- it's more subtle than that, but switching back you feel like you've lost something pleasant.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #16,289 of 18,414
Hi all,
My final project post, installing the optical link in Mscaler and Dave is up in my mscaler thread.
Link in my signature.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #16,290 of 18,414
😲
Can someone pick my jaw from the floor pls
Increddible it was really worth the effort

Users who are viewing this thread

Back