Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 12, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #15,331 of 18,448
And in case of DAVE a series of batteries making 120VDC.. no switching.
Its also more efficient.. no heat loss in conversion
As far as I can see the spec for the Dave SMPS input is 120 - 370VDC. So your plan should work but how good it will sound compared to the other supplies many of us use is another matter! Also, depending on the type of batteries you use they might drop in output voltage and fail to make the minimum 120VDC after a period of use, perhaps aim for more than 120VDC to allow for voltage drop? I am not sure what inrush current will occur but up to 40A is stated when using AC supply.

May 12, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #15,332 of 18,448
As far as I can see the spec for the Dave SMPS input is 120 - 370VDC. So your plan should work but how good it will sound compared to the other supplies many of us use is another matter! Also, depending on the type of batteries you use they might drop in output voltage and fail to make the minimum 120VDC after a period of use, perhaps aim for more than 120VDC to allow for voltage drop? I am not sure what inrush current will occur but up to 40A is stated when using AC supply.
How SMPS in Dave is going to work with DC?
What I'm missing here?

May 12, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #15,333 of 18,448
Well I haven’t heard an RF-STOP, so I can’t comment on its value. But since this is from the same company that produces the excellent OPTO-DX and SRC-DX products, as difficult as it is for my to get my head around its efficacy, this is a case (no pun intended) where I wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand without first listening to it. Remember, a few posts earlier someone was discussing significant RF leakage measurements from the M Scaler. (One reason I like the OPTO-DX is I can get my DAVE nine feet away from the M Scaler).
Distance between the Dave and Mscaler with Opto-DX is free!

May 12, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #15,334 of 18,448
How SMPS in Dave is going to work with DC?
What I'm missing here?
Many (but not all) smps will accept DC as well as AC input. I have checked the spec sheet for the one in the Dave and it can take 120 - 370VDC on its input. Obviously best to take it out of the Dave and check first by trying it not connected to the Dave circuits.

Whether it will sound better than using mains AC is another matter. It 'may' sound different but not better. Also there are significant safety issues with high voltage DC that one needs to be aware of.

May 12, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #15,335 of 18,448
Many (but not all) smps will accept DC as well as AC input. I have checked the spec sheet for the one in the Dave and it can take 120 - 370VDC on its input. Obviously best to take it out of the Dave and check first by trying it not connected to the Dave circuits.

Whether it will sound better than using mains AC is another matter. It 'may' sound different but not better. Also there are significant safety issues with high voltage DC that one needs to be aware of.
I was not aware of possibility of SMPS working with dc, interesting.
As for safety issues - yup playing with high DC voltages cold be 'fun'

May 12, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #15,336 of 18,448
Welcome to the Qutest-Xtreme, nick name "Qukenstein"! :wink:

16523426303793809601514903163780.jpg

Initially impression, not cable is a good cable!

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #15,337 of 18,448
I don't think your concept of batteries for DAVE will work as it requires 120V of *ac* power.

Like Triode said.. most SMPS's take DC cause they all use 4 diodes and a cap making DC straight of the net voltage which is then puls modulated to 10k+ Hz and fed into a tranformer stepping this down to output level.. rectified and capped.

The high frequency is to reduce the ripple on the output by not giving the cap time to discharge by currents.

They typically have good RF filtering to their own induced HF and filter a piece of the net together.. a piece.. not all frequencies

I repaired many of those in all kinds of applications.

DC batteries are the cleanest power to give a stock Dave without opening it😉

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #15,338 of 18,448
Welcome to the Qutest-Xtreme, nick name "Qukenstein"! :wink:

16523426303793809601514903163780.jpg

Initially impression, not cable is a good cable!
Lol thats exactly what i wanted to try if i still had those😄 as a CCTV engineer i worked with them alot in the past..
I assume you have HMS at the other end

May 13, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #15,340 of 18,448
Like Triode said.. most SMPS's take DC cause they all use 4 diodes and a cap making DC straight of the net voltage which is then puls modulated to 10k+ Hz and fed into a tranformer stepping this down to output level.. rectified and capped.

The high frequency is to reduce the ripple on the output by not giving the cap time to discharge by currents.

They typically have good RF filtering to their own induced HF and filter a piece of the net together.. a piece.. not all frequencies

I repaired many of those in all kinds of applications.

DC batteries are the cleanest power to give a stock Dave without opening it😉
Could a battery like this work? But it only has 2 Amps ..

7D5A3570-Edit-768x768.jpg

May 13, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #15,341 of 18,448
Or the one that has the most power and voltage..
Hurakan-200-2-600x600.jpeg

Hurakan-200-4.jpeg

May 13, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #15,342 of 18,448
Since I changed the power supply of both the M Scaler and the Streamer with the Lithium battery, I feel I have reached a priceless listening result!
I dare not imagine the new Choral M Sclaler where it can go beyond this. Anxious waiting!
Where did you get it from?And it seems to run only for a few hours?
If I am going to do it I need many hours running time, I am fed up with the one I bought with my Qutest which after years of use now runs out of power in less an hour now.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #15,343 of 18,448
We were talking about DAVE. For the MScaler and for the streramer I use a lithium battery. If you're interested, I'll show you the model.
Dont these use switching to sweep up and alternate voltage? (create 230/120 vac)
That i would rather avoid since switching creates hf noise..
The only benefit is decoupling from the net.

I would rather use 12VDC battery on TT2/HMS
And in case of DAVE a series of batteries making 120VDC.. no switching.
Its also more efficient.. no heat loss in conversion

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #15,344 of 18,448
If I am going to do it I need many hours running time, I am fed up with the one I bought with my Qutest which after years of use now runs out of power in less an hour now.
If you want a battery that has a long life in terms of the number of discharge cycles it can manage before it becomes weak in the way you describe you need to use Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiPO4) batteries.

I use golf cart 12V LiPO4 batteries and separate inverters and I connected them up myself. The chargers are also separate and, when listening, can be easily physically disconnected from the mains.

Fans in inverters are particularly annoying sources of actual sound (as opposed to electrical) noise so I removed them from the inverters. I am deliberately very much underloading the inverters so they can run without fans and not overheat.

If I want more running time I can simply get more batteries and connect them in parallel with what I already have.

The central purpose of this arrangement is to isolate the system from rf noise coming in over the mains.

The problem that you have with the all-in-one products you have listed is precisely that it is difficult to find one that addresses all of the requirements of your application without it having some serious disadvantage or other.

This is an example of the type of battery I use:

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product/tn-power-lithium-12v-30ah-leisure-battery-lifepo4-tn30/

And a typical charger I use:

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/...-blue-smart-ip65-charger-12-71-230v-cee-7-16/

This charger has an in-line connector in its battery feed which can easily be completely disconnected so as to isolate fully from the mains.

And finally the pure sine wave inverter I use:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/car-inverters/7646820

Wiring these components together to create a power supply is trivial.

In my case, my headphone amp (Woo WA5LE) cannot function unless it gets ac power so, for it, the inverters are necessary.

I will continue to explore options for powering the m scaler and DAVE, but I am definitely inclining towards the Farad LPS solutions for those.

Attachments

• 20200928_003350.jpg
    20200928_003350.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #15,345 of 18,448
I have a pair of Poweroak 12v batteries connected to my TT2 and M scaler. I charge them up at night and once disconnected from the mains they last all day at least. Sound wise, an excellent choice and miles better than stock supplies. So I would thoroughly recommend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back